Gap between visits for B2 visa

helper

Hi ,

My mother has 10 year Multiple entry visitor. In the past ( in 2002), she visited US for two times with six month between teh visit.

This year, she would like to visit us twice with 2-3 month gap between the visit. Is there restriction on the gap between two visits on visitor visa.

Regards,

Mridul

We are more concerned with the total time spent here in the US, then the time between entries.

A B1/B2 visa holder can not spend more time in the US then their home country.

If she was here for 6 months and leaves for a few weeks or months and then returns for another 6 months, there will be problems.

If she was here for a few months and left and comes back for a few months, there should not be a problem.

Count from the start of her last visit and ensure she does not spend more then 180 days in the US.

About 180 days: How come many people on B1/B2 are given I-94 that are valid for 6 months, which happens to be more than 180 days (usually 182 or 183 days)?

This is all crap, assumptions. There is no such a law on this issue.
It is always discretionary decision by the officer at POE.
The law says that common rule is that on entry on B1/2 you can get I-94 for 6 month of stay and then apply for extension but not more than 1 year total.
All other considerations are up to the officer.
But if you try to reenter in a couple of months, of cause it looks suspicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
helper00 said:
Hi ,

My mother has 10 year Multiple entry visitor. In the past ( in 2002), she visited US for two times with six month between teh visit.

This year, she would like to visit us twice with 2-3 month gap between the visit. Is there restriction on the gap between two visits on visitor visa.

Regards,

Mridul

we are also in the same situation like yours. Did your mother came back after 2-3 months gap. Was there any issues?

A1: No one can predict what will happen at the POE. At times even first time visitors are sent to secondary. It all depends on the inspector.
A2: You will be asked to justify your current admission request. You may also
be asked to elaborate what all you did over your two past (and lengthy) visits. Depending on the officer's interpretation, it can vary from a casual conversation to a secondary grilling. Just stick to the truth and do not volunteer any additional information.

Good luck!!!

1. What are the chances that CBP officer may send me to secondary inspection or in worse case scenario deny my entry if I arrive to US third time, considering my previous visits to US?

2. What tough questions should I anticipate at JFK POE and what arguments/answers to bring in interview as defense/response?