From H4 valid I94 to H1 approved without I94, Please help

RajuHere

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
This case is for my wife. She came to USA on Jan 2011 with H4 and I-94 valid till May 2013. We have applied for her H1 on Dec 2010 and got it approved last week. We got I797 WITHOUT I-94. My Questions are,

• Can she work with her current I-94?
  • If no, what are the options she have?
  • Is going out of USA and getting it stamped the only option?
  • Some say we can apply for a Change of Status, is that possible?
  • Can she goto Mexico for H1b Stamping and reenter with H1, what is the success rate / risks we should be aware of?
  • Can she apply for SSN?

I know this forum is very supportive and any suggestions would be highly appreciated as I do not have much background on immigration matters.

Have you inquired to USCIS why a Change of Status (COS) was approved but the I-797 did not have an I-94 at the bottom? That is not normal UNLESS the I-129 did not request a COS. Did it?

BigJoe5, thanks for the reply. I think you got my question wrong. I-797 is approved but it came without an I-94 since it was applied out of USA. Now that she is here in H4 and i-94 valid for next 2 years, I am looking for options to get an I-94 without going out for stamping.

My attorney says I can either raise an amendment for change of status / goto Canada / Mexico for stamping.

Any Suggestions..