• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Forgot to write a middle name in dv2013 on-line application.

I've been in exactly the same situation, with a happy ending:
  1. Forgot to write the middle name on the DV application (it was a honest mistake, with all other details accurate and obviously only one submission);
  2. I won a place in the lottery and then, to my horror, I realized that I won on a ticket missing my middle name (the DV Application is extremely clear that you should fill in your name exactly as in the passport);
  3. Tried to find precedents (online and quite a few lawyers) - no luck;
  4. Decided to go ahead anyway and fill in correctly the DS-260 including the middle name, without any mention of aliases;
  5. Got invited to the interview - the invitation was under the name on the original DV application (no middle name);
  6. The name mismatch issue was never raised during the interview and the consul did issue the DV1 Immigrant Visa under the initial application name (no middle name);
  7. The Immigrant Data Summary on the Immigrant Visa Package included both name variants: the main name (without the middle name), and, as an alias, the complete name (including middle name);
  8. At the port of entry, the DV1 Visa was stamped without any trouble, turning it into permanent residence (Provisional I-551, until the actual Green Card arrives).

• If you find yourself in the same situation, I would suggest you to contact an immigration lawyer - except I could find none knowledgeable AND interested in the subject.
  • Your results might be different, my particular case was quite strong otherwise (already living in the US on a H1B Visa, good job, good income etc.).
  • Point 7. above made me realize retrospectively that the name discrepancy was clearly noticed, but maybe missing the middle name on the DV Application does not disqualify you automatically; the Alias section offers an elegant way out by linking the two name variants.
  • If you find yourself in the same situation, maybe you should proceed with your application. In the worst case, you will lose 700$.

Last edited:
Help me please, my computer didn’t work well so I asked another person to fill the form for me. I have no middle name, insted of putting that no middle name she wrote again my Last Name? exaple my last name and name - Baghdasarova Maria and no middle name, she put Baghdasarova, Maria Baghdasarova,,, will it be a problem during the interview?

Help me please, my computer didn’t work well so I asked another person to fill the form for me. I have no middle name, insted of putting that no middle name she wrote again my Last Name? exaple my last name and name - Baghdasarova Maria and no middle name, she put Baghdasarova, Maria Baghdasarova,,, will it be a problem during the interview?

Did you enter for DV2020 or are you a DV2019 winner?

If you get selected then we can discuss options!
I am thinking all day, Can’t you just tell me now, I afraid , if it’s possible, it will be so kind from you. If it’s not big problem I stop blaming that person who applied for me, because it’s her fault.

Last edited:
Last year 87610 selectees were drawn from 22.4 million entries. It’s not logical to worry now about an entry that has less than a 0.4% chance of being selected, or for any of us to spend time discussing it now.

And you need to take responsibility for your entry rather than blame people who tried to help you imo.

Last year 87610 selectees were drawn from 22.4 million entries. It’s not logical to worry now about an entry that has less than a 0.4% chance of being selected, or for any of us to spend time discussing it now.

And you need to take responsibility for your entry rather than blame people who tried to help you imo.
I know that case, one of my friends won and didn’t called ....I know you are right but I live so far from that people I asked help and the result was that, anyway I will continue my research , I want to be sure.

Last edited: