• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Forgot to write a middle name in dv2013 on-line application.

From the KCC point of view, it might look like a rather questionable oversight to make, considering that one would have to check the "No Middle Name" box to continue to Part 2 and submit the entry.

If you are successful in the initial selection, you may risk the possibility of rejection at the interview stage due to this mistake. Attending the interview with a different name to the one entered on the original E-DV application is one of the top reasons for a denial along with a "pop-up" marriage after the winning notification, and an incorrect DOB.

This is not necessarily true. If a person legally changed their name after electronic DV-entry, or changed a name due to marriage to another person, it is not a factor per-se that disqualifies the applicant. Even if a person marries after the original entry, it is a factor that cannot automatically disqualify applicant, unless the interviewer has reasons to believe that the changes (name/marriage) were made to make a false statement.

Even with legal name changes there is a window period where the court allowed the change but the change has not yet been applied to passport or driver's license. What matters is the accuracy of information at the point of application submission, per then, currently valid government issued ID.

Missing on a middle name can be considered a mere oversight, since there are other techniques used to detect fraud in lottery cases, not just name.

Above also depends on country where you live. Some countries have high fraud levels, so CO may be more strict.

Last edited by a moderator:
you're doomed because there are cases where people cheat that way... Let name someone "Robert Patrick Smith"...
He will put multiple entries such as :
-Robert Patrick Smith
-Robert Smith
-Patrick Smith
-Robert Patrick
-Patrick Robert
-Smith Robert

So KCC decided to just deny the visa to any person misspelling his name, forgoting his name, wrong date of birth ect... to prevent that kind of cheating from working... Like how can someone forgot he has a midle name when in the registration form it is asked... How can someone misspell his/her name when before submiting the form, you have the review, how can you forget your birthdate ectt... sometimes i is sincere error like stressing, but most of the time, it is just people cheating

Dear jayo2k,

KCC doesn't have the right to adjudicate visa cases; KCC does not have authority to either approve or deny a visa.
KCC has authority to eliminate duplicate entries before the draw. However, once the person is selected in draw, only immigration officer (via AOS or CO) can grant or deny the visa.
KCC has authority to run software that eliminates duplicate entries based not only on name but also on other factors that applicant submits. The example you listed above would never make it to the draw to begin with.

This is not necessarily true. If a person legally changed their name after electronic DV-entry, or changed a name due to marriage to another person, it is not a factor per-se that disqualifies the applicant. Even if a person marries after the original entry, it is a factor that cannot automatically disqualify applicant, unless the interviewer has reasons to believe that the changes (name/marriage) were made to make a false statement.

I concur. I apologise for being slightly ambiguous, of course there are varying degrees to why a name is changed, and it could be anything from marriage as you pointed out, adoption or simply want, but the manner and purpose(s) the change plays an enormous role in determining how it is perceived. I did not mean that disqualification would be automatic, and I made my response entirely in the context of the OP's question.

What I was trying to emphasise is that it’s not that people don’t change their names all the time, but most of the time it can be documented in a fashion that is consistent; for example “Mary Ann Parker” marries “James Shelby Williams.” If she enters her name on the E-DV application as “Mary Ann Williams” despite it not matching her birth certificate, her name has legitimacy through the marriage certificate. A by-product of getting married is following a recognised custom of taking the husbands’ name.

If she gets married after the E-DV entry is made in her maiden name, the process only changes slightly as she simply has to add her Maiden name to the form she would send off to the KCC under the “alias” section. Proof would be required that the marriage was bona fide, and a certificate would have to be presented at the interview to prove it so.

I sent only one application form. I've never been in the U.S.(no immigration law issue), I never had problems with the law, even a speeding ticket. So there is no cheating.
In my country we don't use a middle name in common situations, even in school etc. only in official papers. My stupid mistake was filling a form straight from the head, without looking at the any documents.

Don't worry. KCC disqualifies all duplicate entries before they are drawn.
In your case, fill out DS-230 correctly when you send your forms to KCC; KCC then will make another check against the database to scan for duplicate entry, and if nothing comes up, will report this fact to the consular officer.

You cannot be blamed for duplicate entry unless evidence s brought up stating that fact.

Also remember that the US judicial system is different that that of other countries. In France, for example, you are guilty until proven innocent. In the US, you are innocent until proven guilty.

I never said you cheated, I said that because of the large number of fraud with people playing with name, midle name, surname ect, the KCC decided to ban any wrong information, they will concider false information.
Besidse, if you get selected, you need to know someone in the US, not necessarely a friend, but a resident who can recieve document for you because at the interview they require that adress, need to be a US adress to recieve your green card.
Be prepared because people get deny the green card that way

This is incorrect.

KCC can decide to ban only duplicate entries. KCC cannot check whether someone misspelled their name because KCC has not way to verify that fact. This is because no civil documents are sent to KCC to begin with, only DSP and DS forms.

Also, KCC employees are sub-contractors and not actual immigration officers.

Once you have been selected, KCC can only forward further information to AOS/CO officer; however, they cannot adjudicate your case.

You cannot get denied green card if you leave empty field where you indicate mailing address for your GC. You have time up until your actual entry to the US to indicate that.

@cnebit, well, i will suggest u contact KCC via E-mail if eventually u win. Moreso, to be at a safer side, tell them someone assisted u in filling the online application form. You will put it to them that u only got to know about the error when the fellow gave you your confirmation slip. You must be bold while explaining this to them and pls dont show any sign of fear. I know you will succeed as long as every other documents like your DOB, SCHOOL CERTIFICATES, POLICE REPORT, INTERNATIONAL PASSPORT, etc, carries your full name. Dont worry bro, there's no Problem without Solution. One Love!

Contacting KCC regarding your name change or omission AFTER you've been selected is irrelevant, since KCC cannot do anything about it. However, when you fill out DSP-122 and DS-230 forms, make sure you clearly indicate that you've made a mistake or an omission. KCC may then do another check against db for duplicate entries and will then send KCC's findings + your forms to the CO/AOS officer.

I concur. I apologise for being slightly ambiguous, of course there are varying degrees to why a name is changed, and it could be anything from marriage as you pointed out, adoption or simply want, but the manner and purpose(s) the change plays an enormous role in determining how it is perceived. I did not mean that disqualification would be automatic, and I made my response entirely in the context of the OP's question.

What I was trying to emphasise is that it’s not that people don’t change their names all the time, but most of the time it can be documented in a fashion that is consistent; for example “Mary Ann Parker” marries “James Shelby Williams.” If she enters her name on the E-DV application as “Mary Ann Williams” despite it not matching her birth certificate, her name has legitimacy through the marriage certificate. A by-product of getting married is following a recognised custom of taking the husbands’ name.

If she gets married after the E-DV entry is made in her maiden name, the process only changes slightly as she simply has to add her Maiden name to the form she would send off to the KCC under the “alias” section. Proof would be required that the marriage was bona fide, and a certificate would have to be presented at the interview to prove it so.

Yup. That makes sense.

No matter what the change is, it needs to be documented through official government-issued documents....e.g. marriage certificate, Legal Change of Name certificate....etc.

Dear jayo2k,

KCC doesn't have the right to adjudicate visa cases; KCC does not have authority to either approve or deny a visa.
KCC has authority to eliminate duplicate entries before the draw. However, once the person is selected in draw, only immigration officer (via AOS or CO) can grant or deny the visa.
KCC has authority to run software that eliminates duplicate entries based not only on name but also on other factors that applicant submits. The example you listed above would never make it to the draw to begin with.

I may be wrong about the KCC but at the end you confirm what I said that this error lead to disqualification

You cannot be blamed for duplicate entry unless evidence s brought up stating that fact.

I just thought I’d point this out. As far as the DoS is concerned, it doesn’t matter who or how a duplicate entry was submitted, or whether it was intentional or not, it still will lead to disqualification. The policy is stated in the DV-2013 instructions:

"All entries by an individual will be disqualified if more than ONE entry for that individual is received, regardless of who submitted the entry. You may prepare and submit your own entry or have someone submit the entry for you. There are NO COSTS or FEES to register for the DV Program." (page 2/16)

Also remember that the US judicial system is different that that of other countries. In France, for example, you are guilty until proven innocent. In the US, you are innocent until proven guilty.

I don't know where you got that information, but I assure you in the French legal system you are presumed innocent unless found guilty.

"III. - Toute personne suspectée ou poursuivie est présumée innocente tant que sa culpabilité n'a pas été établie. Les atteintes à sa présomption d'innocence sont prévenues, réparées et réprimées dans les conditions prévues par la loi."

I just thought I’d point this out. As far as the DoS is concerned, it doesn’t matter who or how a duplicate entry was submitted, or whether it was intentional or not, it still will lead to disqualification. The policy is stated in the DV-2013 instructions:

"All entries by an individual will be disqualified if more than ONE entry for that individual is received, regardless of who submitted the entry. You may prepare and submit your own entry or have someone submit the entry for you. There are NO COSTS or FEES to register for the DV Program." (page 2/16)

I don't know where you got that information, but I assure you in the French legal system you are presumed innocent unless found guilty.

"III. - Toute personne suspectée ou poursuivie est présumée innocente tant que sa culpabilité n'a pas été établie. Les atteintes à sa présomption d'innocence sont prévenues, réparées et réprimées dans les conditions prévues par la loi."

presemption d'innocence... a law forbiding medias to give the name, pictures or image of a suspected handcuffed before he is found guilty

I found some interesting stories

source avvo.com/legal-answers/three-last-names-on-passport-and-one-last-name-on--409722.html
Three last names on passport and one last name on green card. Would it be a problen for re-entry?
Asked about 1 year ago - Astoria, NY
Green Cards Immigration Passports

Hello, I just received my greencard on December 2nd. I live in New York and I'm planning on going to Peru to se my family. But I just realized that on my passport I have my 3 last names and on my greencard only one. The name on my passport is Angela Maris Gamal Campos, and on the greencard is Angela Maris. I use Angela Maris for most of my things, school, driver license, etc. I would lie to know if I have to change the name on greencard or passport or is it ok to leave the country, without having any issue coming back. My email is

source avvo.com/legal-answers/i-am-filling-out-the-form-n-400--my-green-card-doe-300433.html
I am filling out the form N-400. My Green Card does not have any middle name or initial but my passport has a middle name.
Asked over 1 year ago - Forest Hills, NY
Green Cards Immigration Immigration Forms N-400 Passports

When applying for citizenship do I fill in the name as in greencard? Will the middle name in my current passport cause any problems?

So how they received the green cards with different data in GC than the passport? For other visas are different rules?

And last, in connection with the change of names.

source legal-answers/dv-visa-lottery-entered-with-previous-legal-name---621204.html
DV visa lottery entered with PREVIOUS legal name (from then current passport). Have a new passport with NEW legal name. Problem?
Asked about 1 month ago - New York, NY
Immigration

I completed DV visa lottery (DV2012) form in 2010 with information from my European, but still VALID, passport showing OLD name (I had Canadian passport with NEW name (first and last), but since Canada is not eligible for DV, I used information from my European passport).

I won DV2012. Since the time I entered DV lottery, I have been issued a NEW European passport with NEW name (I do have Legal Change of Name certificate from Canada). I have submitted DS-230 and DSP-122 to KCC in my NEW name, and clearly indicated on the form that I legally changed name from OLD to NEW! Will this name change have any effect on deciding whether or not to issue me DV visa? (Under all other factors such as education, finances, police certificates...etc I am clearly eligible or DV visa)

Hi,

In situation one; we do not have enough information on how she acquired her Green Card, we simply cannot make a judgement. But we can make some educated guesses:

1) Maybe her old Peruvian Passport did not include all her names, and when she applied for a new one everything was placed on after renewal.
2) As another person stated, it could be immaterial to her due to space constraints on the card.
3) It could also be the fact that she is now known in the United States (Social Security Number, U.S. bank account, U.S. Drivers’ licence, etc) as her new name “Angela Maris” because she legally changed it to that in the U.S., but never told the Peruvian authorities she did so, hence the Peruvians still regard her as “Angela Maris Gamal Campos” while the U.S. authorities are happy with “Angela Maris.”

In situation two; this is for filing an N-400 petition for naturalisation. This is a totally separate issue and is completely immaterial because an individual has the opportunity to change their name to whatever they want upon becoming a citizen.

Yes, for other visas there are other rules. His or her Green Card could have come from a marriage petition or family reunion/adoption. He or she could have previously filed an I-90 at some point to remove a name from his/her Green Card, but never bothered to go back to his/her home country and change his/her name there, and so ended up with one less name on the Green Card, but continued to have the additional name on the passport. It does not matter for he/she already is a legal permanent resident, and secondly he/she can change any name now because he/she is becoming a U.S. Citizen.

In situation three; the DV applicant, if he is stating the truth has no problem. This is why:

1. He entered the DV lottery using an old name he legally owned from an eligible European nation’s passport that he possess and was valid at the time of entry, even if it's expired now.
2. Subsequent to his entry, he decided for whatever reason he wanted to change his name in Canada, and proceeded to legally alter his name using a court or some other evidenced manner that produced an official Canadian legal document.
3. His name at the time of entering was valid, and that is the important point. He actually was once registered officially by his old name, legally.
4. His name has now legally changed.
5. He then used this legal change of name certificate to apply for a new passport from the European Nation he is a citizen of because that is what he wants to be known as from now on.
6. He was issued a new passport with his new name.
7. He has clear chain of evidence linking one identity to another is a progressive manner, not a retrospective manner.
8. All he has to do is present to the CO at his interview the old passport he possessed at the time he entered the DV Lottery on which the basis of his application was made.
9. He will still have his original birth certificate stating his old name, and thus proving the origin of his identity as legitimate.

Contacting KCC regarding your name change or omission AFTER you've been selected is irrelevant, since KCC cannot do anything about it. However, when you fill out DSP-122 and DS-230 forms, make sure you clearly indicate that you've made a mistake or an omission. KCC may then do another check against db for duplicate entries and will then send KCC's findings + your forms to the CO/AOS officer.

@real_picture,i don't think you have any idea about DOS rules or instructions.
For paper base,applicants/entries getting disqualify before and after the draw is:
1.missing of info
2.wrong format
3.wrong addressing
4.missing of interpretation
5.incorrect photo
6.misconduct
Applicants/entries getting disqualify for electronic entries:
1.incorrect photo
2.Multiples/fraudulent entries
3.exact duplicate of photo and elimination through facial recognise technology.
So my bro the case here is,as long as @cnebit is in the line of MISSING OF INFO OF NAME in the first eDV form he entered, then i guess he is gone against the rules of DOS.But then anything is still possible like i always say, that since he is having his original birth certificate with his full names and int'l passport to have his recent name and also to make a removal of second name none or publisize.So with this he could convince the CO but then some COs are different and could be funny at times.

I may be wrong about the KCC but at the end you confirm what I said that this error lead to disqualification

I don't agree that all errors are equal. Errors can be material or non-material. Material errors affect the outcome of the case. Non-material don't. It's up to the immigration officer to determine whether an error is material or non-material. And I think i almost all cases, the applicant would know that as well (especially those cheating).

I say, If your sense tells you that you honestly did that omission in error, then go ahead and apply.

I don't agree that all errors are equal. Errors can be material or non-material. Material errors affect the outcome of the case. Non-material don't. It's up to the immigration officer to determine whether an error is material or non-material. And I think i almost all cases, the applicant would know that as well (especially those cheating).

I say, If your sense tells you that you honestly did that omission in error, then go ahead and apply.

@real_picture,get this clear that whatever info you entered in your first eDV form is what KCC will process and any change or addition of name might gets ones GC/visa rejected or not processed as we have seen in some other forum.
Except for error of DOB is sometimes consider at the embassy but depending on the CO and not all times its being consider or a newly born baby info and photo can be added to DS-230 form that is understandable after winning or even newly wedded couple, applicant may add his or her spouse info and photo in DS-230 form. Apart from these any other error like that leads to denial or rejection cos CO/KCC always sees this as cheat or fraud.And fraud is fraud no matter how little it is whether knowly or not knowly KCC/CO sees it as attempted fraud but only for some circumstances.

first and middle name

what happens at interview.
My waec is two settings on one my names are arrange as below
Dada sunday olumide and the second one as
Dada olumide Sunday

i have OND as Dada sunday olumide and HND as Dada sunday

is there a chance for getting visa

Totally ok!

from my experience, you have nothing to worry about. I made a mistake in my birthdate and names (entered my third name for both second and third name). THe only problem i had was i wasnt able to contact KCC to track my case. I did tell them and i was told to send the CORRECT information in the forms i sent back to KCC. No problem at all during interview or so....just hope you will win!

surname and given name mistakenly submitted.

Missing on a middle name can be considered a mere oversight, since there are other techniques used to detect fraud in lottery cases, not just name.

Above also depends on country where you live. Some countries have high fraud levels, so CO may be more strict.

I have submitted my surname and given name in the dvlottery application form mistakenly and when i was selected i noticed that I have made this mistake
that means if my name is John Smith;I have mistakenly submitted Smith John.

What do u suggest I do??? should i send an email to the KCC or should i simply do to the interview and tell the officer there...

I must say that I have sent the required forms (DS-230 and etc) and mailed it to KCC

Need Info!

Hi!

I expose to you my problem :

When I applied to the diversity visa 2014 I have wrote my name and middle name, that is not written on my passport, it just written on my birth certificate.

In DS230 n° 2 "Other name or aliases" I have written only my first NAME and LAST NAME and pointed "name on documets" ( I should have to specify Passport.. )

There will be problems with my case and process?

I found some interesting stories

So how they received the green cards with different data in GC than the passport? For other visas are different rules?

And last, in connection with the change of names.

I have a middle name in my birth certificate. My passport does not have my middle name. Should I include the middle name in my DV application or just include the name in my passport? What about other names? Is it just First Name, Middle Name and Last Name that should be included?