For all those with back ground check pending for more than 180 days

Quick question folks - Is the name check the same as background check? And back to the question someone asked earlier - are they going to institute the need for visa numbers to be available for EB2 for them to do it now?

Thanks
Raju125

What is the difference between IBIS check and FBI Name check

Can any one please explain What is the difference between IBIS check and FBI Name check?

Difference?

Do you know the difference between name check and background check? Are they one and the same?

My 485 date is Nov 2006 EB2. When I pinged them for status, they said it is in background checking. That was 3 months ago. Now, when I see these things I feel that I stand a good chance of it going through this "Sweep" process and getting to the other side. However, I am perplexed by the "name check" vs "background check" thing. Do you think I qualify for this new process?

Thanks
raju125

Background check, in a case as old as yours, meansd FBI name check. Otherwise they usually say, processing noraml steps or somesuch.

You are probably in the pool, but will hopefully have to wait until our older cases get done with. But you are EB2, so don't worry.

Thank you very much. I completely understand the need to wait as I am sure almost everybody here does :)

My priority date is 2/12/02...so I have done some waiting as well :) I am hoping this new process takes care of all of our cases soon. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Background check, in a case as old as yours, meansd FBI name check. Otherwise they usually say, processing noraml steps or somesuch.

You are probably in the pool, but will hopefully have to wait until our older cases get done with. But you are EB2, so don't worry.

Update on CIS processing of AOS cases formerly held up by FBI name check issues

Folks, latest update on USCIS handling of name check pending cases posted by Ron Gotcher at his forum:

http://immigration-information.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4398

"
The American Immigration Lawyers Association has just released the minutes of a meeting held with CIS Service Center Operations. Some of the highlights of that meeting include:

Note: USCIS had previously asked the public to wait until 4-30-08 before sending inquiries on adjustments affected by this memo. That has since been changed to 3-30-08. AILA will notify it members.

Yes, if the fingerprint results have expired, the applicant will need to have new fingerprints taken. Those new fingerprints usually clear within a week or so. USCIS will check with the ASCs to make sure that there is an efficient process and that significant delays do not occur with scheduling these applicants for new biometrics. USCIS will get back to AILA with the approximate number of I-485 applications (of the combined 25,000 mentioned above) where the fingerprint results have expired. Also, note that as of July of 2007, the biometrics are stored under a new system and those fingerprints will be able to be "refreshed" so that new ones don't need to be taken in the future.

At the Service Centers, there are approximately 10,000 I-485 applications that are awaiting name checks only. We estimate that over the next 3 months an additional 15,000 cases will fit into this category as well.
"

FP part of the information is not clear

Trying to understand the FP part, whats happening to the focks who are getting approval without finger printing (saw one today in this forum). Any comments?

Folks, latest update on USCIS handling of name check pending cases posted by Ron Gotcher at his forum:

http://immigration-information.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4398

"

Yes, if the fingerprint results have expired, the applicant will need to have new fingerprints taken. Those new fingerprints usually clear within a week or so. USCIS will check with the ASCs to make sure that there is an efficient process and that significant delays do not occur with scheduling these applicants for new biometrics. USCIS will get back to AILA with the approximate number of I-485 applications (of the combined 25,000 mentioned above) where the fingerprint results have expired. Also, note that as of July of 2007, the biometrics are stored under a new system and those fingerprints will be able to be "refreshed" so that new ones don't need to be taken in the future.

At the Service Centers, there are approximately 10,000 I-485 applications that are awaiting name checks only. We estimate that over the next 3 months an additional 15,000 cases will fit into this category as well.
"

So another month to go.
Let us see how many of us see the light and how many would still be stuck.

The USCIS has released a revised Q&A on their change in policy concerning FBI name checks (http://imminfo.com/resources/namecheck.pdf):
Q7. How many applications for lawful permanent residence are immediately affected by this policy change?
A7. USCIS is aware of approximately 47,000 applications for permanent residence (I-485) cases that are otherwise approvable but have an FBI name check pending. A portion of these cases are both outside normal processing times and have an FBI name check that has been pending for more than 180 days. These cases will be subject to processing under the new policy. USCIS anticipates the majority of the cases that can now be adjudicated will be processed by mid-March 2008.
Q9. How long will it take for USCIS to work through the cases affected by the policy change?
A9. USCIS has begun identifying cases affected by this policy modification in each field office and service center. Each office will evaluate the pending cases and will adjust their workload accordingly. USCIS anticipates the majority of the cases subject to this policy modification will be processed by mid-March 2008. We recommend customers wait until March 10 before inquiring about their cases. This will allow each office sufficient time to identify and adjudicate pending cases.