Follow To Join....

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope mine is slightly different

INS message says that they have the sent cable a month back and chennai consulate says that they have not got any cable regarding this and informed me that sometime it can take up to twop months to get the cable from INS, is this true. What was the gap between your 824 approval and chennai consulate getting the cable.

Info from Chennai Embassy.

Yes, they emailed me back saying the same thing, after verifying with INS, they\'ll send pkt 3 to beneificiary\'s address (apprx after 2 mo).
What\'s interesting is for affidavit we\'ve to use I-134 (NOT I-864) for family.
Anybody knows why the difference??

No Title

I 864 for a follow to join and I 134 for the accompanying spouse.I think the embassy info is incorrect.
Even INS staff here in the USA gets mixed up with some of the forms, other aspects of petitions.

No Title

No I asked the Chennai embassy 2 times by email. They said the same info. I-134 for wife and baby on following to join case. If so what is the reason for I-864. Anybody has any idea. Also do we need send the affidavit with pkt 3 forms back to embassy or only at the interview.

when to file

A good thread here. I\'ve got a questions for you gurus. I just got married, and I expect my i485 will be approved on November this year. Theoretically, my wife will have the follow to join benefits according to the government web site. Do I have to file my I824 now or after I get my i485 approved? When I submit i824, do I have to submit any other material(s) with it? On i824, Part 1 will be my current address in the US, and on Part 3, only her name, date of birth/country can be filled. How can the consulate know where her address? My understanding is that the consulate will contact her directly after this i824 being approved and cabled, right?
Thanks in advance.

No Title

I guess there is no need to wait for your 485 to be approved you can file your 824 now. Only thing that need to be added to 824 is your marriage cerificate, her birth certificate and any transulations if need be. You will also mention your wife address for the consulate to contact her. Once 824 is approved, INS will send a cable message to consulate after that consulate will contact your wife to file packet 3. Currently 824 is approved and waiting for the cable message to be acknowldeged, this is been going on for 2 months now, i dont know when things will be over, very frustrating. So mention this to your wife and make her prepared for the worst.

cool-guy

reply to cool-guy

My understanding is INS will send you package3 here in US. After that you send it to consulate in india. Once they receive it they send your wife package 4. find out whether this is true.

I am waiting for I824 approval.

Thanks

No Title

You need WAIT until I-485 is approved, otherwise your I-824 will be held at INS centers or possibly denied as per "Following to Join" Law.
So assuming once your I-485 approved and then file I824 and get its approval (2-3 months). Then send the approval notice with your greencard approval notices, marriage certificates, applicant\'s foreign address to US consulate in India. They\'ll check your greencard approval with INS and send pkt 3 forms to local address, which will take 2-3 months. Then after you send pkt 3 forms consulate will notify abt the interview date (45 days) and also send pkt 4.
I\'m going thru\' this right now.

INS does not send Packet 3

INS does not send packet 3, once the consulate is notified the approriate consulate that you mentioned in I824 will send P3 to the local address of your spouse. Your spouse has to fill in the forms and submit it with the consulate. After that with 8 week consulate will schedule an interview time and issue p4 and that the end of the process.

cool-guy

reply to cool-guy

Freind,

My freind in florida using FTJ. After I824 is approved he downloaded packed 3 from internet, printed it ,completed it and send it to chennai consulate. he didnot wait for them to send packet 3.

May be you can use this route.

thanks man

I might do that I am just waiting for them to acknowledge tha cable message, it this did not happend I will propably end up doing that. I will keep every one posted on this board.

Cool-guy

No Title

Thanks, luckyme9.
You mean there is a chance to be turned down on "Following to join"? Even if I got married before my i485 being approved? And I don\'t need to add my wife\'s address in the I824? I am considering adding copy of marriage certificate/address/etc as attachment to my i824.

Reply to Nayblahscar

Yes it is possible to deny the I824 app b4 your i485 approval. But you can file it again after your I485 is approved. It\'s just action on an approved application type (I824).
In my case Chennai consl. emailed me stating they\'ll pkt 3 forms to wife\'s address after 2-3 months of I824 approval. Also, because Pkt 3 forms needs a case number, which they\'ll provide once they start processing this type.
All they need is the marriage certificates, copy of approval notices and I485 approval notice with the address of beneficiary sent to them. They\'ll take it from there.
Hope it helps.

Complex Case

Employment based GC holder since 2000. Got married prior to 485 approval. Wife is a J1 visa holder and is pursuing a waiver job for three years ending 2003. I am assuming that she qualifies under "follow to join" and the question I have is that do we have to wait till she fulfills her waiver requirements or we should try and file I-824 at this time. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Bogey

i dont think you have to wait for the waiver time to end. I would highly recommend you start her follow to join process.

cool-guy

No Title

Cool Guy:

Is this procedure easy enough to pursue on my own or should I try and hire an attorney for this. Thanks.

No Title

Bogey,

My 2 cents is to go through a good attorney, some times the extra money you shell out will be worth it.

Cool-guy

Please help info on I-824

I am in the same situation as cool-guy, raju prabhu and i am hoping we can all get a better picture.

I filed I-824 on 09/25/01 and i am waiting for the processing to complete. I got married before my I-485 approval and my spouse is eligible for Follow-To-Join benefits.

That said I have become confused with some contradictory statements
Issues

1. After I-824 approval , i have heard that INS informs the designated consulate in India (in my case,Chennai) thru a cable about the approval

Would the Consulate on ack of the Cable send the pkt3 to the beneficaries address in India ??
OR
Would they need more info from us like copies of
I-485 approval, passport copies of petitioner and beneficiary
and then verify with INS before sending PKT 3??

2. At what stage in this process is a CASE # generated

Is it after they acknowledge the cable received from INS
OR
After they verify the documents they are asking for

3. How long does it take to get an interview date once you file Pkt3 at the consulate?

Anyone who has gone thru the whole process and successfully completed it please help us out.

Thanks for your inputs and time

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.