• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

First Name/Middle Name on US documents

s.brody

Registered Users (C)
For starters, I should say that my full name, as written on my foreign passport, is:
[Surname FirstName-MiddleName], with the hyphen between first and middle.

When I submitted the DV Lottery application back in 2012, I've written [FirstName] in the first name box, and [MiddleName] in the middle name box. The same when I submitted the immigration forms(DS230, DSP122): completed all three boxes, like this: [Surname FirstName MiddleName]. So I stayed consistent with the naming. That's exactly how it was written on my US visa too: separate first and middle name. So far so good.
My Green Card has it spelled like this: [Surname FirstName MiddleInitial]. So only the initial of the middle name.
Moving on, when I applied for SSN, I maintained the same format. No hyphen or compound first name. But the lady entering my application, corrected the form and put [MiddleName] in the first name box. Resulting in a compound first name. She told me: "You don't have a middle name. You have a compound first name!", and pointed to my passport's page. She also said to go get it sorted it with Immigration.

But what is there to sort? Could I have any kind of complications, considering the above?

I had a friend with a problem like this where they refused to accept his ID occasionally. His work-around was to officially change his name to remove the hyphen. No more debates after that.

I had a friend with a problem like this where they refused to accept his ID occasionally. His work-around was to officially change his name to remove the hyphen. No more debates after that.
The hyphen is present only on my foreign passport! But I won't be needing my passport in the US, except when travelling. So I shouldn't have any problems while inside the US? Shouldn't I? (And all the way to citizenship).

For starters, I should say that my full name, as written on my foreign passport, is:
[Surname FirstName-MiddleName], with the hyphen between first and middle.

When I submitted the DV Lottery application back in 2012, I've written [FirstName] in the first name box, and [MiddleName] in the middle name box. The same when I submitted the immigration forms(DS230, DSP122): completed all three boxes, like this: [Surname FirstName MiddleName]. So I stayed consistent with the naming. That's exactly how it was written on my US visa too: separate first and middle name. So far so good.
My Green Card has it spelled like this: [Surname FirstName MiddleInitial]. So only the initial of the middle name.
Moving on, when I applied for SSN, I maintained the same format. No hyphen or compound first name. But the lady entering my application, corrected the form and put [MiddleName] in the first name box. Resulting in a compound first name. She told me: "You don't have a middle name. You have a compound first name!", and pointed to my passport's page. She also said to go get it sorted it with Immigration.

But what is there to sort? Could I have any kind of complications, considering the above?

Since you now have your GC, you can apply for a replacement card using your GC and your birth certificate.

Since you now have your GC, you can apply for a replacement card using your GC and your birth certificate.
To what purpose? Cause I prefer it without the hyphen. Actually the only issue is the fact that my GC has a middle name (initial), whilist my SSN has my middle name alongside first name (as a compound first name, no hyphen).

To what purpose? Cause I prefer it without the hyphen. Actually the only issue is the fact that my GC has a middle name (initial), whilist my SSN has my middle name alongside first name (as a compound first name, no hyphen).

To what purpose? Aren't you the one that started the Thread to find out if there could be complications for you somewhere down the road? I gave you a solution to fix the issue and you're asking to what purpose.

To what purpose? Aren't you the one that started the Thread to find out if there could be complications for you somewhere down the road? I gave you a solution to fix the issue and you're asking to what purpose.
Right. Sorry, I expressed myself wrong.What I'm trying to say: if I'm to get a replacement card, is it so my name on it fully matches the name on SSn?

Right. Sorry, I expressed myself wrong.What I'm trying to say: if I'm to get a replacement card, is it so my name on it fully matches the name on SSn?
No, it works the other way round - the Green Card is the official US document and the SSN card (and other official State and Federal Docs) will need to match up with your Green Card. If something is not right on your Green Card, you'd have to start there, which may end up being a rather tedious process. Good luck!

Okay, now I get you. Yes, getting a replacement card ensures your name on that card matches with your name on your GC which is what you will be using as your ID while in the U.S., until you get your US driver's license. To guard against the problem @guestgulkan described above regarding his friend. You could run into the same trouble when you try to apply for your US driver's license. If you get all the names aligned now, will make your life so much easier down the road.

If you prefer the GC as is with just the middle initial, you don't have to apply for a replacement GC. Just get the name on the GC to match with what's on the SSN card.

True, indeed there is the option to officially change the name as part of the Citizenship process. Changing your name on the Green Card before then, is a rather tedious (and costly) process, which we just went through (replacing middle name by middle initial). Yet, as you and Sm1smom rightly pointed out, it is important to have the names on all official docs aligned, starting with the Green Card.