First Name is FNU.. Please Help!!

My wife is facing a similar problem. she has fnu in first name and last name has
sandhya rani
She did get the driving permit where they combined the last name and wrote sandhyarani.
Now my question is would this be a problem in the future while applying for H1 B? can she apply as it is now? one concern was the last name has 2 different words and not single word.

Hello friends!I am quite new to this forum.Currently my company is asking me to get the surname populated in my passport b4 they can apply for L1B.Currently my name and my father's name appears in the given name and surname is blank.So basically,i need to do name bifurcation on my passport and move my father's name to surname for this sake.

Please can anyone let me know how this can be done and how long name bifurcation takes for Indian passports.I am currently in Chennai.

Got Driving License with FNU problem

Name as in Passport
First: Love
Last: <blank> (never got time to fix that)

Name as in Visa/SSN/US Records
First: FNU
Last: Love

(So first name moved to last and first name became first name unknown)

Indian Driving License
Name: Love Kumar

Story while appying Driving license:
State highway patrol just checked Indian driving license and registered my name as in existing foreign driving license. (Love Kumar)

While applying for license at Deputy Registrar office. They have hard time to understand and get license approved.
The lady helped a lot, she made lot of calls. Final decision is leave last name blank just as in Passport front page. So i got driving license with name
First Name: Love Last Name: <blank>

However that lady called there superiors, they made some arrangement in system which allowed them to bypass the Last Name field and let it empty.

FNU problem...PLz Plz Plz help me...

FNU problem:

my details are:
Passport:
First name (Given name): ASHUTOSH
Surname (Last name):

J1 Visa:
First name (Given name): FNU
Surname (Last name): ASHUTOSH

I-94:
Surname (Last name):

Bank Account:
Surname (Last name): FNU

I have applied three times to get SSN but every time my application was rejected due to it was not verified from immigration. I am really in a big problem as without SSN my salary will not be issued to me. Please let me know how to deal this problem. Is it the right path if I go to India and change my name to First name: Singhal and Last name: Ashutosh (as Ashutosh is recorded everywhere in systems in USA as a last name). and come again and that time I-94 will be corrected and then i will go to SSN to add my first name (Singhal).
plz reply me asap. It will be great help to me.
ashu_micro@yahoo.com

"Applying L2 visa for my family”

I'm in USA now.

In my second daughter passport, only "given name" is specified but the surname field is blank. I have written 'LNU' in the surname field when fill DS160 form.
In my first daughter passport, has both "given name" and surname.
Will there be any problem if she doesn’t have a surname? or do we have to change the name in passport?
Really worried about this?...Any info would be great..Does anyone got the visa who did not have surname in their passport?..

Thanks
Karthik

Hi,

I went for Driving License today. They told me your immigration record is not available, please check with immigration office. Problem came due to the "FNU" printed in place of Given name.

In My passport
Surname: -
Given Name: CHANDAN KUMAR

In my H1B VISA
Surname: CHANDAN KUMAR
Given name: FNU

In I-94 First Name and Last Name are written separately. I didn't have any problem in entering here. and I got my SSN also with first name and last name separately.

Please let me know how can I change my last Name as "KUMAR" and first name as "CHANDAN" in my H1B visa.
Thank you.

i have few concern in regards to which i need your help and guidance that how can i proceed about them
i got married in Nov,2010 with the us citizen and my case of permanent residency was filed on Feb 6th ,2011
1)about surname----
when i made my passport i worte my name as parminder kaur in my given name n my surname column was blank, as i had never used my surname in any of my documents from school till university and afterwards. now when my husband has filed my papers there in USA the lawyer out there, he has told that surname column should not been blank so what needs to be done in that case is, i should split my name like kaur should be me my surname and parminder as given name, and then the name will be read as kaur parminder rather then parminder kaur, which i have consulted over here with asst. regional passport officer in delhi and few other people who says that there is no such provisions in which my surname can be written as kaur and it has to be proper surname whatever you have.
2)about passport file number----
a) another major concern is as my husband has already filed my documents and if i get my surname entered by the proper procedure in my passport its gonna change my passport file no. does it effect the whole process for my residency.?
b) when surname is not there on my mark-sheets and degree, when i further plan for my education, does it going to effect me there also ?
3) husband name--
when i made my passport i was unmarried at that time in 2008 now when we are filing the case by I-130,is it necessary that i should get my husband's name
entered in my passport or this can be done later once i reach there?

Dmv refuses to issue drivers license with fnu

Hi!

I am facing a similar situation.

Went to dmv office to apply for drivers and they said i have to change my name on
social security card to just xxxx or unknown xxxx istead of fnu xxxx(which it currently reads).
Apparently its not possible for them to issue a dl with the fnu acronym.

When i got to the social security office they said that its not
possible for them to change my name to that because it has to
match the visa which reads fnu xxxx.however they gave me a letter showing
their incapability of doing so.

I hope to take this letter to dmv office and convince them.

Tc.

you need to submit your 3 ID proofs in visa office and write an application for name changing then all will be done in 1 month or so

FNU same problem bro...

Wow so many FNU's lurking around, and I thought I was the only one who had to face this problem.
this is so stupid on part of the INS and the US consulate to put the given name as the last name and enter FNU for the First name. If at all they have to put some S*** like FNU, they should put it in the Last Name (such as LNU). They make a mess of everything by converting our First Name to Last Name. Some wierd rule states that a person may not have a first name but has to have a Last Name. Total bull crap!!!! I have had so much problems explaining to each and every one about the FNU crap.

I have been here almost six years now and this FNU problem is now become tertiary. Used to carry my I-94, Visa, SSN, license, credit card, ATM card all with the FNU crap for sometime. All this even though my H1 Approval notice had a proper Last Name in it. The US Consulate went by what was in the passport which like all of us FNU's here, only has the given name.

The DMV, the SSN office and the banks apparantly go by the I-94. The small piece of paper apparantly is the most important paper while you are in US. At the time of arrival I was confused about what name I should write in the I-94 as the Passport only has my first name while the stamped Visa had this FNU crap. So in order to play safe most of us decided to put in the FNU thing there. I realized later that if I had put my porper last name in there I would have been saved all this crap in the SSN and DMV.

So this is what I exactly did when I returned to US the next time around. Now my I-94 had a proper first name and last name. I promptly changed the name on everything including the SSN and DMV. I am now completely free of the FNU crap except for that first Visa Stamp. Once my current passport expires I will be rid of the last remaining FNU crap. But I guess I would have to retain the old passprt with me for eternity I believe.

So here are the lessons I learnt in order to correct the FNU crap.

1. If possible correct the name in your passport to include your last name. I know this is tricky for people like me who come from a community who have no concept of last name. So you can either put your father's first name as your last name which is the best alternative. Else you can also put your caste, sect, sub-sect as your last name. You can also put your place of birth as your last name, which i think is cool. Or the best is to make up bizzare last name that no one ever has. This would make your name truly unique and any name search on you would pop only your name.

2. If you have already got the Visa Stamped as FNU, then while entering the US enter your full name in the I-94. This will solve all the problems then and there. Offcourse you may have to substantiate the name that your are putting there. So use the last name if your already have one in any of your other supporting documents like birth certificate, Graduation certificates etc. Using your father's first name is the safest way to go if there is no other supporting document. Your passprt has your father's name so it can be cross checked.

3. If you have chickened out like me the first time around and ended up with the FNU crap in the I-94 then god bless you.
Actually you still have a way out, if your are doing an H1 transfer or renewing the H1. You will get a new I-94 with he new H1 approval notice. Have your employer put the full name in the H1 tranfer or renewal petition. This effectively will become your new I-94 and using it you can change everything.

4. Last if you are stuck with the I-94 with the FNU crap for 3 years in the same company then make sure your have the FNU crap in each and every thing (SSN, DMV, Bank, Credit Card). This way things will move smooth as you will have a consistant name everywhere. Live with this until you get the corrected I-94.

Changing the name in the passport after coming to US is a real pain in the butt.

Hope this helps any future FNU's.

Hi,
I'm an indian passport holder and a DV 1 visa holder. My visa shows given name fnu and surname my full name , One of my friends told me that this problem can be rectified by taking a new passport with corrected surname and given name and by carrying the old cancelled passport with visa and new passport with corrected details the proofing needed at the ssn center, dmv center, green card divsion will be clarified. So my question is that is this possible ?

I entered US with immigration visa recently. My passport contains my full name under given name with a blank in surname field. The visa states FNU and the full name as the last name. Green card has been issued as above. Will I be able to get SSN by stating the full name under last name with FNU?

Hi recently I went to SSA to apply for ssn card.there I faced a problem regarding my first name which has two words(17charcters including space) but there I noticed that in my i94 my first has no space between the words

Passport
First name:raghunandan xxxx

I94
first name: raghunandanxxxx

And in ssn office they said the allow maximum 16 characters in first name.if they give Space last charcter won't fit in first name.so he said he will go with i94 formate.i.e. no space is given between two words of my first name
Will that be a problem??. Please help me with this...

FNU Problem....

Hai all... thought this might help someone trying to find some information for this FNU problem...
First of all i had multiple problems....
1. My name was not bifurcated properly in the passport.
My First name including my surname was printed under Given name in the
passport. Hence it became a very long name under first name in passport.
2. As you are all aware, if you do-not have a surname in the passport, the
consulate gives the name in the VISA page as FNU and the actual name
fully under last name.
3. Well..... now when i went to apply for SSN, they agreed to issue me a
SSN with my name matching the VISA page(i.e Mr.FNU xxxxx)
Then came the problem...Guess what.....my name was soo long that it
would not fit under last name in the system that SSN had.
Also the system would not accept the name if it does not match the INS
details(i.e as in VISA).
4. After a lottof discussion and struggle the officer got a way out for me.....
She managed to get-through/bypass the INS and entered my details and
issued a SSN for me... The SSN officer was really kind enuff to get a way
out for me....
Now my name in the SSN would be as it is in passport and not as in VISA
page.... well a big sigh of relief..... was getting really tough for me to
handle this..... as it would have become really complicated....
we'lll still have to get my drivers license... not sure what come next....
Gud luck all......

Hi Sir,
My name is (Raksha), Rai Raksha Kishore in all certificates from school days. And in my passport under given name it is: Rai Raksha Kishore, Surname being blank.
Recently i got married and applied for H4 visa where my surname has: Rai Raksha Kishore and given name: FNU.
Now i m residing in USA and yet to do with my identity card,open bank account and drivers license. Also later will join school to pursue my graduate. Now my question is while filling any application in USA they ask for first name,middle name and last name. Under this circumstance, how should i fill my application?should i retain as in passport or my H4 visa? Also in which category i should fill my name "Rai Raksha Kishore"weather under first/middle/last name.

Please help!

Successfully changed my name everywhere

Rules are strictly followed here. Only thing we need to wait for a long time.. This is what I did to correct my name everywhere

1. April 2005 - FNU - Passport, Visa

2. July 2005 - because of this SSN got delayed for 4 months and received with FNU

3. July 2005 - DMV refused to give license, because they cannot give license with FNU.

4. July 2005 - Enquired local newspapers in Philly - They told that I need to get court order number

5. July 2005 - Went to court, they said that I need to show proof of my residence for 6 months, and should contact attorney for name change.

6. August 2005 - Talked to attorneys - they said I need to give 100 $ consulatation + actual charges of name change

7. August 2005 - I have decided to give up, but at last try, I have enquired with Desi newspapers in NJ for name change advertisement. They agreed to give advertisement with 40 $ charge

8. September 2005 - I gave the ad in NJ, and in Chennai India.

9. September 2005 - Went to Indian Embassy NYC, they said, I need to wait for 1 month time after ad date(b cos somebody will object for this name change... I dont know how they will come to know, if somebody objects!!)

10. October 2005 - I applied for Passport Name change

11. October 2005 - Received with proper lastname, firstname in passport after 3 weeks time

12. November 2005 - With this I went to SSN office for name change

13. December 2005 - I got the SSN with changed name

14. In the mean time, everywhere my name went as FNU Siva(Insurance, Bank Acct, Utility bills, Pay Check, etc..)

15. December 2005 - Initiated everywhere to change my name

16. December 2005 - Applied for Driving License -

17. January 2006 - Failed 2 times in road test - (I need to unlearn my aggressive car driving habit learned over 2 years in India.. :))

18. 03- February 2006 - Today I have passed my road test and received my license, W2 forms, Insurance card and other documents with my changed name...Got relieved from FNU everywhere!!!..

The whole process took me 10 months time (purchased car in December 2005 only after correcting everywhere)...

Lessons learned : Don't give up. Follow the system, Dont have to break the rules to get your things done...

Thank you buddies!! Have a great week end!!!

Thanks
Siva
(formerly FNU Siva)

:))

Hi Sir,
My name is (Raksha), Rai Raksha Kishore in all certificates from school days. And in my passport under given name it is: Rai Raksha Kishore, Surname being blank.
Recently i got married and applied for H4 visa where my surname has: Rai Raksha Kishore and given name: FNU.
Now i m residing in USA and yet to do with my identity card,open bank account and drivers license. Also later will join school to pursue my graduate. Now my question is while filling any application in USA they ask for first name,middle name and last name. Under this circumstance, how should i fill my application?should i retain as in passport or my H4 visa? Also in which category i should fill my name "Rai Raksha Kishore"weather under first/middle/last name.

Please help!

Hi All FNUs,

Mine was also the case of FNU. My story will surely give a hope to FNUs. I have my name in my Passport as:

GIVEN NAME: Ashish Shubham

SURNAME: Blank

When i got my H1, i had my name mentioned as below;

GIVEN NAME: FNU

SURNAME: Ashish Shubham

So i got my VISA, i came to USA and applied for SSN. At that time SSN had the same Name Format as my VISA. After 2 months when i applied for Driver’s License, they said that their system doesn’t accept FNU as the First Name and they wouldn’t be able to Proceed. Well i politely asked them what’s next. They asked me to go to Local SSN Office and get the name updated their. They also gave me a letter about that and my name written as NONE ASHISH SHUBHAM. When i went to SSN Office i had to explain them the case as everybody doesn’t have experience with cases of FNU. Well after some conversations with Manager, it was decided that behind the scene my name remains FNU ASHISH SHUBHAM. But they will tweak the system to just print the name as below in SSN Card;

FIRST NAME: Blank

LAST NAME: ASHISH SHUBHAM

I asked them what should i say and officially what should be name in all legal papers like bank statement , payslips and others. They said that if somebody wants to validate my details and run through the Homeland security system, they have to consider FNU ASHISH SHUBHAM. In my case although they updated my SSN but my i94 remained as it is with FNU ASHISH SHUBHAM.

After 24 Hrs i was able to get my application proceeded for Driver’s License. Later i got the Bank followed up and they were fine with FNU ASHISH SHUBHAM as my name in their system. I got my Vehicle Loan with name FNU ASHISH SHUBHAM and same printed on my Credit Card.

Drawback: All letters which i get says: “Dear FNU” but i am fine with it.

SHUBHAM is not my Surname and i have a double name instead “ASHISH SHUBHAM”. If i get Passport Corrected as many people always say to me, that will also NOT be correct. I would prefer to let it be as it is unless i see any future fallback.

Hope it helps..!!