• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Financial Requirements for Selectees

art890

Hello,

I was looking for some numbers all around the forum and government's web sites to figure out how much do I need to declare to convince authorities that I will 'not become a public charge on the U.S. government'.

In my case, I am a student that have never been worked in any paid job, but I have and hopefully will have support of my parents for my further post-grad studies.

So, I will open a bank account to prove that I will have enough fund until I get a job or PhD offer but I couldn't find any prediction about the amount on the financial statement.

Expenses can be varied depend to city, but as a student who don't know where will end up, how much money should I deposit ? I read that credit card history doesn't mean a lot, but since I don't have any regular income how could I prove that I will have enough fund and the money I deposit like a month before the interview will not disappear right after I received my visa?

Do you have any estimation for a single person ?
At least any rough idea about how to calculate that number ( n months x m expenses = ? )

--------------------------------------------
Expected to be interviewed in the October

to let the others know, according to Simon's blog the short answer is $10.000.

Thanks Simon, thanks Sm1smom.

Last edited:
to let the others know, according to Simon's blog the short answer is $10.000.

Thanks Simon, thanks Sm1smom.

That answer is too short. It isn't a hard number - someone with some family support of really strong job prospects might be approved with showing a little less than 10k and someone who shows 11k might still be a concern depending on circumstances. So - take it as guidance, not a finite number.