Filling for TN renewal electronically

Adamkheil

Registered Users (C)
I am applying online for my TN renewal and application has a questions that I am not sure how to answer. Application asks about the A number, I did get an alien number long time back in 1990.
I had applied in class action law suit CSS/LULAC in 1990, and had filed form I-687 for the temporary resident status. I got my work authorization also at that time and kept renewing my employment authorization till 1997. I have been asked by the immigration officer about this every time I got my TN renewed at the border and I was able to explain that I abandoned that process in 1997. Immigration officer did contact the INS somewhere and got that information confirmed and issued me TN every time.

Now the question is should I mention that A number on the application? Will this make me ineligible for getting TN? Will it slow down the application process?

What would be my best bet, to go back to the same port of entry to the officer who has issued me 3 TNs? Or apply electronically and A number would not matter since I never applied for the permanent residence?

The A number simply ties together all your immig processes under one file. It is actually to your advantage to have one, as thru it they can more easily tell they you do not have a pending I-485.

As to whether you should file I-129 (either by mail or e-file, I-129 asks for A#) or go to border: my preference is border unless you aren't travelling around renewal time.

I am in Dallas, Tx and trip to Canada is too long and to Mexico is something I have not done before. My TN expires Aug 14, could you please explain what the benefits would be by going to the border rather than filling online?

Well, adam, what moved you to go for 3 border TNs and not consider I-129 in the past? Speed, cost and certitude, no doubt.

It's my experience that a vast number of Tners who submit an I-129 (especially so close to expiry) end up getting one at the border anyways, as the normal processing times usually last long enough that the TNer has already had to leave the country for some other personal reason, and gets a border TN on the way back.

Thanks Nelson, previously I was in Toledo, OH and drive to the ambassador bridge was only one and a half hour. Thanks again.