Filing EAD Renewal - Is it too late?

nervewreck

Registered Users (C)
All.

Our EADs expire on 09/25/2008.
I have e-filed the renewals just a couple of days back. In the process of mailing in the supporting documents.

Will the time be sufficient for us to received our renewed EADs?
If not, what are the options we have ?
Would taking an Infopass appointment to expedite the renewal help?

My wife is working on her EAD, while I am still on my H1B.

Please advise.

Thanks...

All.

I have e-filed the renewals just a couple of days back. In the process of mailing in the supporting documents.

Please advise.

Thanks...
You do not need EAD being on H. Your wife can not work without approved EAD before expiration of the current one. Info pass, by regulation, is not allowed except after 90 days of pending application and even after 90 days will not help that much. It is your mistake to wait to the last minute to apply for renewal and the USCIS instruction is clear to apply 120 days or so in advance. Send supporting documents as fast as you can and do not forget to include required one to avoid RFE and more delay and just wait. Info pass, expedite request and all other actions are for those who applied in advance or have real issue preventing them from applying early, not just reluctance

mmed,

Though a little harsh, I understand the importance that you are trying to convey. We did have our issues that caused the delay from my part, knowingly or unknowingly. We did not have a permanent address for the past 2 months. We were jumping between hotels etc owing to a job change. There was a last name change that was in the mix as well. Anyways, I do agree that I should have foreseen and given this more importance and precedence. Now, at this juncture, all I am trying to find out is, how can I avoid causing a break in my wife's job. If possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
-Nervewreck

mmed,

Though a little harsh, I understand the importance that you are trying to convey. We did have our issues that caused the delay from my part, knowingly or unknowingly. We did not have a permanent address for the past 2 months. We were jumping between hotels etc owing to a job change. There was a last name change that was in the mix as well. Anyways, I do agree that I should have foreseen and given this more importance and precedence. Now, at this juncture, all I am trying to find out is, how can I avoid causing a break in my wife's job. If possible.

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
-Nervewreck

You can write to the USCIS with what you think is a genuine reason for that delay, which I think is the case. Do not listen to any one saying no problem work with expired EAD, this is not a good advice and will hurt down the road. There are cases approved in few weeks which I hope you will be one of those. But do not waste your time in Info pass, writing to senates or even call the national number of the USCIS, all those if you passed 90 days pending.

mmed and others,

FYI...

Received the receipt notice on 08/18 and received the Biometric appointment notice on 08/19. The appointment is currently set for 09/06. Which will leave us about 3 week more for my wife's EAD to expire.

Do you think there is a chance for us to receive the renewal of EAD before 09/25 ?
How long does it take usually, for them to approve the application, after the ASC appointment for photo?
People with exprience from TSC on EAD Renewals, please share your experience.

Appreciate your inputs...

Regards,
-Nervewreck

mmed and others,

FYI...

Received the receipt notice on 08/18 and received the Biometric appointment notice on 08/19. The appointment is currently set for 09/06. Which will leave us about 3 week more for my wife's EAD to expire.

Do you think there is a chance for us to receive the renewal of EAD before 09/25 ?
How long does it take usually, for them to approve the application, after the ASC appointment for photo?

Regards,
-Nervewreck

You can walk in with the notice to the center now before 9/6. 99% they will do biometrics for you (for sure depending on the center) but it is worth to try this. Send the sheet after biometrics immediately, by then you will mostly get the EAD on time.

All.

Please advise.

Thanks...

Can you tell me please.....did you send the supporting documents by mail exactly when you e-filed the renewal application?
And also could you tell me please what kind of supporting docs did you send?

Thanks in advance!

Can you tell me please.....did you send the supporting documents by mail exactly when you e-filed the renewal application?
And also could you tell me please what kind of supporting docs did you send?

Thanks in advance!

GC_Europe,

You can send the supporting documents a few days after e-filing too. I sent it about 3 days later.

Here is the list of docs along with the sample cover letter:
----------------------------------------
Sample Covering Letter for PRINCIPAL APPLICANT:

Dear Immigration Officer,
I have submitted my EAD renewal application electronically on xx/xx/xx. The BCIS Receipt number is xxxxxxxxx. My A# is xxxxxxxx
Currently, I am working on the EAD which was issued on xxxxxxxx.

Please find attached the following documents for the Renewal of my I-765 E-Filing

- Copy of the Confirmation Receipt notice
- Copy of Current EAD (Front & Back)
- Copy of I-485 petition (Adjustment of Status Application Pending with TSC)
- Online Status of my I485 receipt
- Copy of I-140 Approval Petition
- Copy of Previous EAD mailer
- Cut out mailer of previous EAD Approval.
- Copy of I-94
- Copy of Passport (which has Bio-graphic data)
- Copy of Drivers License

Thank you, I appreciate your time and attention to this matter.
----------------------------------

Visit the following Sticky for the most detailed and spoon-fed info on e-filing EAD:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=108916

GC_Europe,

You can send the supporting documents a few days after e-filing too. I sent it about 3 days later.

Here is the list of docs along with the sample cover letter:
----------------------------------------
Sample Covering Letter for PRINCIPAL APPLICANT:

Dear Immigration Officer,
I have submitted my EAD renewal application electronically on xx/xx/xx. The BCIS Receipt number is xxxxxxxxx. My A# is xxxxxxxx
Currently, I am working on the EAD which was issued on xxxxxxxx.

Please find attached the following documents for the Renewal of my I-765 E-Filing

- Copy of the Confirmation Receipt notice
- Copy of Current EAD (Front & Back)
- Copy of I-485 petition (Adjustment of Status Application Pending with TSC)
- Online Status of my I485 receipt
- Copy of I-140 Approval Petition
- Copy of Previous EAD mailer
- Cut out mailer of previous EAD Approval.
- Copy of I-94
- Copy of Passport (which has Bio-graphic data)
- Copy of Drivers License

Thank you, I appreciate your time and attention to this matter.
----------------------------------

Visit the following Sticky for the most detailed and spoon-fed info on e-filing EAD:
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=108916

Thank u so much nervewreck,

Could u tell me please....how did u send the money and how much money?....did u send by mail? and it has to be at the same time as e-fiing?
and what address?

Thanks so much again!

GC_Europe,

Method of payment and the amount of fees needed for the renewal is determined when you get started to fill in the e-renewal form. Giving your bank or Credit Card account is the final step when you are submitting the application. I paid $340, as my original EAD was applied last year in June, and the fee structure changed in july.

Again, rather than asking the questions before even reading, I suggest you to go through the following sticky in detail: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=108916
It explains everything accurately.

Last edited by a moderator:
GC_Europe,

Method of payment and the amount of fees needed for the renewal is determined when you get started to fill in the e-renewal form. Giving your bank or Credit Card account is the final step when you are submitting the application. I paid $340, as my original EAD was applied last year in June, and the fee structure changed in july.

Again, rather than asking the questions before even reading, I suggest you to go through the following sticky in detail: http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=108916
It explains everything accurately.

Thank you so much nervewreck.

Is it still possible to efile as I saw this on Uscis website...does this apply to my ead renewal? I'm Eb3 Row.
Here is: Electronic Filing:

Please note that the option to file Form I-765 electronically for the eligibility category (c)(3)(i) has been disabled. The option to file Form I-765 electronically for the new eligibility categories (c)(3)(A), (c)(3)(B), and (c)(3)(C) is currently not available but will be available shortly. When this option becomes available, an update will be posted to this page. The option to file the Form I-765 for the eligibility codes (c)(3)(ii) and (c)(3)(iii) remains in effect.

Thanks again so much!

GC_Europe,

What category is your 485? Is it employment based? If it is, then you belong to (c)(9)(i) I think, and that category should still be available for e-filing.

Please check your criteria correctly, before proceeding with e-filing.

GC_Europe,

What category is your 485? Is it employment based? If it is, then you belong to (c)(9)(i) I think, and that category should still be available for e-filing.

Please check your criteria correctly, before proceeding with e-filing.

Thank you so much nervewreck,

I'm employment based category.
I did my e-filing for Ead renewal yesterday.....and i was surprised that at the end it was written to send supporting docs to Texas office...and I filed my I-485, I-140 at Nebraska, I have all my receipt dates and numbers from Nebraska...even my husband I-140 was approved at Nebraska.
What should I do?
Can you advise me please?
Thanks again!

GC_Europe,
Does not matter if all of your 485/140 etc were from Nebraska. Some EAD renewals are processed in NE and some are in TX. So dont worry about it. Just put together the package of docs needed, and mail them to the TX center as mentioned in your confirmation notice that got generated after you finished your e-filing.

Note: Send your supporting docs with "Certified Mail" and "Return Receipt".
Do follow the instructions to the dot and you will ok.

Same scenario - but spouse doesn't work

mmed and others,

FYI...

Regards,
-Nervewreck

Today is Sep 4th. So... what happened so far to you case? Were you able to FP?

Mine is kind of similar (Paper filed on 22nd Aug for EAD expiring on 30th Sep) but spouse isn't working. My checks are not cashed yet (2 weeks passed).

Questions:
1) Is your check encashed before the receipt? or you paid via online?
2) For the first time EAD I sent to Nebraska. I'm a Connecticut resident, I sent my papers to Vermont for renewal. Is that correct?
3) How long does it take to approve an EAD now-a-days?

Thanks,
Hdotcom

Today is Sep 4th. So... what happened so far to you case? Were you able to FP?

.................We went to the ASC yesterday as we were in the area, My wife and I both got our Pictures taken and FP done. They allowed us to get it done although we were few days early. I will track the progress and update this thread as and when I have any updates

Mine is kind of similar (Paper filed on 22nd Aug for EAD expiring on 30th Sep) but spouse isn't working. My checks are not cashed yet (2 weeks passed).

I am not sure how paperbased filing works, I heard that the initial honoring of checks etc will take time, but since there is not additional ASC appointment involved for the photos, the process might get faster.

Questions:
1) Is your check encashed before the receipt? or you paid via online?

......Mine was completely online, so no checks were involved.

2) For the first time EAD I sent to Nebraska. I'm a Connecticut resident, I sent my papers to Vermont for renewal. Is that correct?

I dont think Vermont is the correct place. Here is the link for the instructions with I765 filing: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-765instr.pdf
As per this (page 8-10), Based on the category, which is (c)(9) for pending 485 based on employment - Your EAD should be sent to Texas Service Center. Please double check, I might be wrong. To avoid these hassles, I filed online. Mine was automatically sent to Texas Service Center.

3) How long does it take to approve an EAD now-a-days?

Current processing times say they are still processing April 2008 at pretty much all the centers. I did hear otherwise, that they are processing much faster. I hope they are, as evidently, our situations are close, really really close to the expiration date on the current EAD.

Thanks,
Hdotcom

Good Luck.

Spouse EAD got approved, Card production ordered

mmed and others,

FYI...

Regards,
-Nervewreck

mmed and others,
Received an email notification from USCIS that my Wife's EAD renewal has been approved, card production ordered on Sept 17th 2008.

As some of the readers of this posting might already know, my Wife is working on her current EAD which is set to expire on 09/25/08.
Since we were moving from the North East to Texas, and were in temporary living for a couple of months, we did not get a chance to apply for EAD renewal 120 days or so in advance as recommended by USCIS.

We e-filed EAD renewals on 08/12/2008. Our biometrics were done on 09/04/2008 and on 09/17/2008, we received approval for my wife' renewal.

I am still waiting on mine, but surely am not tensed up for mine as I am working on my H1B still. Hopefully mine will come soon too.

Thank you all for your valuable insights...
Seems like TSC somehow recognized that we are nearing our expiration date, and internally expedited the process? :confused:

Not sure...regardless of how it was handled, I am pleasantly surprised that the EAD renewal came thru within 35 days.

Me too received email notification that our EAD was approved on September 17.
Interesting thing is that I e-filed on August 21 and sent supporting documents on September 09 which they received on September 11. So, they approved EAD one week after receiving documentation.