fast track to us citizenship?

turingGreen

Is there a fast track procedure to us citizenship after green card?
for example, a person with expertise for a position that needs Top Secret security clearance, which can be granted to us citizens only. Is it possble to get citizenship without 5 year waiting, by self petition, or by employer (organizations or government)? Thank you.

enlist..

..in the military.
As a GC holder you can enlist (you can't become a commissioned officer though). As the US is currently at war (supposedly with terror), the president has activated a rule which allows him to naturalize service members without the usual 3 year waiting period. With the current naturalization backlogs it would still take a while.

The downside of this ? Well, you might get shot at. The salaries for enlisted guys aren't that hot either.

Actually: If a 'goverment agency' is just interested enough in your services, they can get people naturalized without any of the usual hassles. (If the law doesn't allow it, they just tag a special law to some highway funding bill). Historically, this has been used to naturalize Nazi scientists or defectors from the USSR's military in order to get them qualified for jobs which require a clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like someone mentioned, if you are of special interest to some govt agency they can ensure your case moves like a hot knife through butter ;) - meaning really quickly.

Other than that, you can enlist, marry a USC, or get the US President to sign an executive order!!!!!!!!! given the current law mandating a 5 year waiting period.

Well, other than those mentioned, there is still another option-

marry a US citizen working overseas for certain organizations, e.g. US government, certain international research organizations etc.

Your US citizen spouse will need to be employed for over a year while you can apply for citizenship immediately as a PR.

In such a case, you don't need to wait for 3/5 years to be able to apply for US citizen. But you need to be GC holder.

INA: ACT 319 - MARRIED PERSONS AND EMPLOYEES OF CERTAIN NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS

Sec. 319. [8 U.S.C. 1430]

(a) Any person whose spouse is a citizen of the United States, 1/ or any person who obtained status as a lawful permanent resident by reason of his or her status as a spouse or child of a United States citizen who battered him or her or subjected him or her to extreme cruelty, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of this title except the provisions of paragraph (1) of section 316(a) if such person immediately preceding the date of filing his application for naturalization has resided continuously, after being lawfully admitted for permanent residence, within the United States for at least three years, and during the three years immediately preceding the date of filing his application has been living in marital union with the citizen spouse 1/ (except in the case of a person who has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by a United States citizen spouse or parent), who has been a United States citizen during all of such period, and has been physically present in the United States for periods totaling at least half of that time and has resided within the State or the district of the Service in the United States in which the applicant filed his application for at least three months.

(b) Any person,

(1) whose spouse is

(A) a citizen of the United States,

(B) in the employment of the Government of the United States, or of an American institution of research recognized as such by the Attorney General, or of an American firm or corporation engaged in whole or in part in the development of foreign trade and commerce of the United States, or a subsidiary thereof, or of a public international organization in which the United States participates by treaty or statute, or is authorized to perform the ministerial or priestly functions of a religious denomination having a bona fide organization within the United States, or is engaged solely as a missionary by a religious denomination or by an interdenominational mission organization having a bona fide organization within the United States, and

(C) regularly stationed abroad in such employment, and

(2) who is in the United States at the time of naturalization, and

(3) who declares before the Attorney General in good faith an intention to take up residence within the United States immediately upon the termination of such employment abroad of the citizen spouse, may be naturalized upon compliance with all the requirements of the naturalization laws, except that no prior residence or specified period of physical presence within the United States or within a State or a district of the Service in the United States or proof thereof shall be required.

i did though it though it's not that fast

well i married my husband who's in the military in apr 2001, got my green card in sep 2001. applied for the naturalization in sep 2002 since we have orders to go to germany for three years and my husband was stationed in korea till august 2002. applied for the naturalization in sep, 2002, got fingerprints done before the application was sent, got a notice from the ins saying i need another finger prints cause they lost it or something, sent them in in oct 2003, got another notice saying i need to send another fingerprints cause it had to be taken at the embassy not the military police station in may 2004. had them taken at the embassy(it takes 4 hours to go from where i am to frankfurt and they only open from 8 to 11am). got the interview letter in july 2004, interview date set in september 2004. so it was supposed to be expedited but no it wasn't. and that 1 800 number isn't free from outside of the united states and everytime i called i was on hold more than 30 minutes. it really sucked but i'm quite happy it all will be done in couple months.

hailey

Last edited by a moderator: