Failed to register for Selective service before 26 birthday - Applying for Citizenship

pone79

Banned
Hi All,

First some background about me.
I became a US permanent resident 4 months before my 26th birthday but failed to register as I was not aware of this requirement. I only found out about Selective Services few months back when I was researching to apply for naturalization.

I wrote to Selective Services requesting a status information letter about 3 months back and I am still waiting for the same.

Now my question is:
1. Can I send my N-400 without the status information letter (SIL) and take my SIL at the time of interview (assuming I have gotten it my then).

2. From experience, can anyone please tell me what if any might be the consequences of my failure to register for Selective Services.

Thanks

I was in exact same bucket. it turns out that USCIS registers most men automatically once they get a GC. Try calling Selective service (you need to be very patient and try many times). once you get hold of them, ask them to fax the status letter.

How old are you now? if you are past 31 (or 29 if applying under 3 yr rule), you should be fine even without the status letter.

In my case, it took SS around 2 months to send me the letter. I sent my N400 after I got it.

Did you check their web site for your registration status? USCIS may have already automatically registered you as part of the GC process.

Hi Jackolantern,

I did check Selective Service website to make sure if I am already registered but unfortunately the answer is no. (or may be I am and it is not able to find my record!!)

Passedaway, I am currently 30 years old. I will be 31 in 7 months. I want to get citizenship ASAP coz I want to bring my fiancee to US and can't wait another 7 months.

I guess I will just have to be patient with SSS. I tried calling them many times but everytime I get the message that because of call traffic I will have to call back. The fact that it has been three months since I requested my Status Information letter kindda bothers me though.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Pone79

Selective service

I had same issue with VA hospital, i didn't know about selective service, but when I called them, they ask my my ssn, then they told me I am already registered when I first came here in US. Actually immigration officer did it and I didn't know about that. They ask my address and mailed me my selective service card. If you don't know about selecitve, google them, called them on their 1 800 number and most probably they will have your record and they will mail you your card.

When i first checked the SS site, they could not find my record. But after I sent them the request, they updated their records and then I was able to find it. It turns out I was registered way before I became a PR (which I found weird, I was on F1 at that time)

Hi Jackolantern,

I did check Selective Service website to make sure if I am already registered but unfortunately the answer is no. (or may be I am and it is not able to find my record!!)
Their web site doesn't have access to all the records. Sometimes when people call up, they find out they were registered, even though the web site didn't find a record of their registration. So call Selective Service to find out.

Thank you passedaway, Jackolantern for your help. I just got off the phone with Selective Services. First I asked them if they have recieved my status information letter(SIL). The guy told me that they are processing SIL dated Sep 15th so if I mailed it after that I should wait. Then I asked him if he can check if I am already registered. He took my last name my SSN and went off line for almost 30 seconds which actually felt like 30 years. Based on your responses on this forum I knew that there's a good chance that I might be registered. And guess what I am registered. When he came back, he verified my address when I got my GC and told me that I was registered by immigration. Surprisingly, I was registeted when I had already crossed my 26th birthday, but who cares!!

So as they say all iz well.