F1 Visa to H1-B?

akp101

I have a F1 Visa status until 12/12/2003. I would like to change to a temporary working permit visa (H1-B) for 3 Months. Is that possible? How can I do that? Do I have to have an employer before filling in the applications?

H1-B applications needs to be applied by a corporation, not an individual. Also time to get an H1-B, depending where you are, will be too long. Also, companies have to follow certain advertising policies before they can apply for H1-B visa's - so there will hardly be a company which may want to do a temp visa (looks like you will work for only 3 months). I believe F1 visa holders can ask for some "practical training" extension or like and work legally (full time) -- that may be the best option for you. Then again, talk to a immigration lawyer for the best advice.

Originally posted by akp101
I have a F1 Visa status until 12/12/2003. I would like to change to a temporary working permit visa (H1-B) for 3 Months. Is that possible? How can I do that? Do I have to have an employer before filling in the applications?