• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

F1 visa holder and medical absence.

yeswecan

Registered Users (C)
The International student advisor once told me that the only exception that allows one as an F1 visa holder to stay in the United States without transferring to another school or changing to another non-immigrant status is a medical leave of absence. Could somebody please point to me where this is officially written, and for how long is this exception can take once granted? if she was granted this permission lets say for 7 months without attending classes and travel out of the country, will she be barred from re-entry for 3 years? A sick friend of mine would like to invoke that but has no clue where to start from. Any knowledgeable comment is welcome.

It has to be done through the University' International Office. First, he needs to obtain a letter from a licensee medical doctor stating the reason why he should be given a medical leave. After that, fill in forms that should be provided by the International office. If they approve it, they will give him the permission to be absent for the semester (a note will be written on the back of the I-20 and also on SEVIS).

A medical leave is only good for 1 semester. The total medical leave that he can do per degree level is 12 months. So, every semester that he need to be absent, he need to reapply with a new medical letter.

can we travel out of country during Medical leave of absence?
my college international advisor said, I cannot. is there any law???

You are posting in the DV forum, certainly not the right place to ask detailed questions about the ins and outs of F visa....