F1 For Spouse of Green Card Holder

F1H1GC

Registered Users (C)
hello,
 Is there any difficulty for the spouse of a green card holder to get an F1 visa ? If my fiancee is planing to come here for higher studies is it better to get the visa before getting married, I have aGC.
Regards,
B

Isn\'t the Spouse of a GC holder....

a GC holder too ?

If yes, why on earth would you apply for an F1 visa for her and pay all those high "non-resident" (out of state) fees ??

No Title

Sadly she is not a gc holder, that\'s why the question. Would she have difficulty getting an F1 ?

No Title

If you guys get married and then She applied for F1 She will definitely have a problem as F1 is a non immigration visa and since spouse is already a GC holder, you will problems of proving the intention to not immigrate. Have your wife to be apply for her F1 before marriage to avoid complications. Otherwise you may have to hide details about marriage on the visa application and the same may be risky in the future. I am not a attorney and this is not legal advise
My two cents

What my lawyer said

If your have a GC and your wife doesn\'t, they will simply not allow her to receive any kind of non-immigrant visa. The reason is that a non-immigrant must be a person who \'claims\' that he/she is comming to the US on a temporary basis for studies, work, etc., and will go back where he/she came from in the near future. A woman married to a GC holder who lives in the US would obviously be comming to the US to \'stay\' not to study and leave. I\'m affraid that your fiancee has to deny being your fiancee if she wants to get an F1 visa. And whenever asked if she is planning on getting married in the US she has to say no. And of course that has to be the truth. Your other option is to marry her and apply for a GC for her as your spouse, but that usually takes up to 8 years during which she cannot come into the US.

I\'ve heard of people throwing away their GC\'s because they wanted to get married and bring their wives into the US as dependants on their H1-B visa. That might actually be your only choice.