F-1 and B-2

EJ886

Hi all,

I'm a Canadian Citizen and I just received an offer of admission to complete my Masters at an American university for September 2016 start. This is a program/school where student housing is limited, so I'm thinking ahead to finding a place to rent.

The university is located in a very tight rental market since there are several universities in the city. I'm worried about the timelines for activating F-1 (30 days before program start) and finding suitable housing. I'm wondering if it is possible to enter on a B-2 to conduct an apartment search beforehand, but I can't seem to figure out if A) this must be done before the F-1 issuance, or B) if there is a possibility of entering on a B-2 after the F-1 has been granted, but before the 30 days prior to September start date.

Here are my questions/observations:
1) After the I-20/F-1 are issued, it is my understanding that I can only enter the US 30 days before the program starts. Can I enter on a B-2 before applying for F-1 to do an apartment search (and sign a lease for September 2016).

2) As a Canadian, I do not have to apply for a B-2 before travel. Assuming I have been issued the F-1, is it possible to enter the US on a B-2 visa to go search for apartments in advance of the 30 day F-1 activation/entry period?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As a Canadian citizen, you also don't need an F-1 visa; you can just enter using your I-20. Sure, you can enter as a visitor (B-2 status) beforehand. But to go into F-1 status, you would have to either 1) apply for Change of Status inside the US (this costs hundreds of dollars and takes many months), or 2) leave the US and re-enter in F-1 status (using your I-20).

As a Canadian citizen, you also don't need an F-1 visa; you can just enter using your I-20. Sure, you can enter as a visitor (B-2 status) beforehand. But to go into F-1 status, you would have to either 1) apply for Change of Status inside the US (this costs hundreds of dollars and takes many months), or 2) leave the US and re-enter in F-1 status (using your I-20).

Thanks for your reply, newacct

Ok - F-1 visa not needed to enter the US as a Canadian citizen, but just request F-1 status with I-20 at the POE/border. I've just read up on this...

My questions are more about timing that I still can't figure out based on the school website (geared to int'l students generally and no specific info for Canadians) and the materials I've read on the US Embassy in Canada website:

1) If I have my I-20 from the university, and I want to go apartment searching between 30-120 days before the program start date, do I have to enter with my I-20 or declare that I have one? Or better to just enter on B-2?

2) Since I'm not entering with a visa, but requesting F-1 status at border/POE, is this done within the 30 days before the start date? Or can it be done between 30-120 days before the start date?

Also, if anyone knows:
3) If I am on F-1 Status, would I still be eligible for OPT/CPT?