Extend a B1 Visa for Syrians based on TPS?

AdnanAli

Dear Counselor Khanna and all forum admins,

Thanks for giving us this opportunity of asking you and having your advice.

We are Syrian naturalized US citizens live in Boston, Ma. My in-laws, Mother and father, who are Syrians, are visiting us . They entered to the States by a B1/B2 visa. Their permission to stay is good till March, 2013.

We do not want my in-laws to return back to Syria at this time , especially that no one can predict when the troubles and violence will end. Some people advised us to apply TPS for them next September, others told us to work on the reunion issue, since we are US Citizens, and others told us just to extend the visa for another 6 months. We are confused here therefore, we want to consult you about the best idea to extend their permission till the situation elevate in Syria.

We will be very grateful to receive an answer from you about this matter.

Thanks in advance for your answer and we look forward to hearing from you soon.

You have an option to make them permanent residents provided you will take care and be able to sponsor them. If you file for them Form I-485 to adjust status and are able to get a receipt for it by March 2013 they can continue to stay and stay will be legal. If you are not petitioning for them then you can file Form I-539 to extend stay but should be done 45 days before B1/b2 expires.