Expedited passport processing questions - need to travel 3 weeks after naturalization

Holbytla

Registered Users (C)
I have a trip planned 3 weeks after my naturalization ceremony. I understand that I can apply for an expedited passport at the Washington passport agency only if my travel is within 14 days of the application date - otherwise, I would have to apply at a post office, where the regular processing time is given as 4-6 weeks.

Does this mean I should wait until I'm within 2 weeks of my travel date, and then apply at the Washington passport agency? Or can I apply for expedited passport processing at the post office itself, immediately after my naturalization ceremony? On the state.gov website, it says even expedited processing takes 2-3 weeks, so I'm a little worried about applying at the post office for expedited processing, in case I don't get my passport in time for my trip.
Any advice? Thanks!

I have a trip planned 3 weeks after my naturalization ceremony. I understand that I can apply for an expedited passport at the Washington passport agency only if my travel is within 14 days of the application date - otherwise, I would have to apply at a post office, where the regular processing time is given as 4-6 weeks.

Does this mean I should wait until I'm within 2 weeks of my travel date, and then apply at the Washington passport agency? Or can I apply for expedited passport processing at the post office itself, immediately after my naturalization ceremony? On the state.gov website, it says even expedited processing takes 2-3 weeks, so I'm a little worried about applying at the post office for expedited processing, in case I don't get my passport in time for my trip.
Any advice? Thanks!

You can do either of the two options you mention.
Officially, the processing times for expedited service are 2-3 weeks, but practical experience shows that it's usually under 2 weeks. So if you apply at a post office right after the oath ceremony and request expedited service, you'll almost certainly get a passport before you need to travel. Note, however, that the naturalization certificate will get returned to you a bit later, in a separate mailing from the passport. So if you use this option, make sure that somebody is available at your address to pick up the mail after you go abroad.

If you want an iron-clad guarantee of getting the passport in time, you can use the passport agency route. Yes, in that case you can't schedule an appointment for a date earlier than 2 weeks before the travel date. The passport agency will give you a passport in 0-3 business days from the time of application, and you'll get you naturalization certificate back together with the passport. Note that you can call the toll-free number for scheduling an appointment at a passport agency up to 2 weeks prior to the appointment date.

Any advice? Thanks!

The problem is not only having a passport, but also getting a visa for travel. And if you belonged to some countries like India, Russia, Brazil you have to renounce your earlier citizenship. That may be time consuming.

The problem is not only having a passport, but also getting a visa for travel. And if you belonged to some countries like India, Russia, Brazil you have to renounce your earlier citizenship. That may be time consuming.

Don't know about Brazil, but with Russia you definitely do not lose the Russian citizenship after becoming a naturalized U.S. citizen.
I am a Russian citizen myself and lots of my friends and relatives are naturalized U.S. citizens who travel to Russia using their Russian passports with no problems. The only issue there is that Russia requires Russian citizens to use a Russian passport when entering to/leaving from Russia, even if they have multiple citizenships. Also, Russian law in effect ignores dual citizenship once you are inside Russia. thus if a dual Russian-U.S. citizen say, gets arrested in Russia, he cannot claim foreign citizen status, will not be grated access to U.S. consular officials, etc. In the old days, under USSR, emigration to another country automatically resulted in the loss of the USSR citizenship, but those laws were repealed in 1990s and now Russia does allow its citizens to have multiple citizenships. In fact, formally giving up Russian citizenship now is a rather difficult, lengthy and expensive procedure and most people don't bother with it.