Expedited I-131.

Noki22

Registered Users (C)
Dear all,

I've a few questions regarding my GC situation.

1) I became a US permanent resident in February but am currently going to school in my home country. That's why I plan to reenter in June/July and apply for a reentry permit. However, since I have to be back by the end of August, I need to finish fingerprinting before then. So I was wondering if I request expedited processing and it's approved, how long does it take in average for fingerprinting?

2) I checked the Social Security box on DS-230 but no SSN yet? Should I just go to a local office and apply?

Thanks in advance.

The fingerprinting appointment can come in 3-6 weeks, and maybe earlier, if you're lucky. You don't need to be in the US to receive your re-entry permit. You can ask for it to be sent to the consulate in your country of residence, or you can have it sent to another address in the US. If you haven't yet received your SS card, go to an office and request it.

The fingerprinting appointment can come in 3-6 weeks, and maybe earlier, if you're lucky. You don't need to be in the US to receive your re-entry permit. You can ask for it to be sent to the consulate in your country of residence, or you can have it sent to another address in the US. If you haven't yet received your SS card, go to an office and request it.

Thanks for your reply. What are the chances of the appointment taking more than 6 weeks? And yes, that's why I was only wondering about the fingerprinting appointment as I would leave right after. Also, do you think school exams are enough of a reason to get approval? I've heard stories about people requesting expedite and simply not hearing back from them?

Another thing: I've read in several sites that you need to wait 10 days after you enter to apply for your SSN? Is that correct? If I apply after ten days, and I go to Canada say for two weeks and then come back again, would that affect the SSN in any way? Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
MOST appointments arrive within 6 weeks. I think you do have to be in the US for a few days for the system to be updated so that the SSA can find your records to issue you a card, but once you apply for it, you're free to go to Canada. You can also go to Canada while you wait for your fingerprinting appointment, but you must be in the US when you send and CIS receives your I131 application, so use a trackable method like registered post.

I've requested an expedited travel document a couple of times for study purposes. You can try saying things like "want to finish your studies in order to be a valuable addition to the American workforce and society," etc.

Is there a possibility the appointment may be scheduled in under 2 weeks? I need to make some domestic travel arrangements, and I'm scared it may fall while I'm away. Also, is it normally easy to request an appointment change?

And last but not least, can anyone confirm this checklist? (might also be helpful to other folks browsing the thread)

1. Write EXPEDITE on the top right corner of the envelope
2. Cover letter explaining the reason behind the request
3. $385 (re-entry) + $80 (biometrics) fee - (same check works??)
4. Copies of Green Card (front and back)
5. Pre-paid USPS envelopes
6. 2 photos?? (I'm not sure about this)

I assume that when you said you became a permanent resident in February, you actually entered the US with an immigrant visa in February. If you got approved at the consulate but didn't enter the US yet, you don't have permanent residence and they wouldn't issue the SSN.

I also assume somebody has been been checking your US mail address in April.

If you visit an SS office, explain that you became a permanent resident in Feb and ask if a SS card has been issued in your name. If it was issued they should be able to tell you the number immediately, and they might be able to explain if it got returned in the mail or whether it's been mailed out at all.

Is there a possibility the appointment may be scheduled in under 2 weeks?
Possible but not likely.

I need to make some domestic travel arrangements, and I'm scared it may fall while I'm away. Also, is it normally easy to request an appointment change?
Once you get the appointment notice, it's easy to go in *before* the scheduled date. Just show up at the USCIS office with your appointment notice. But if you want to go after the scheduled date that can be problematic, with the risk of a long wait or denial.