Expedite I-131

iouvy

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I filed I-131 for a re-entry permit and requested expedite service to have the travel document hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks. A few days afer filing, I received I-797 stating USCIS received my application and such and such. There is no indication on the letter about my request for expedite. Does anyone know how to acknowledge whether my expedite service request is approved or not?

At the time that I sent the package to USCIS, I also faxed the same documents to Nebraska Service Center and stated my request on the fax. And again this morning, since I have my I-131 receipt #, I re-faxed the documents along with the I-797 to the same fax # hoping that I'll have a better chance.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

They won't tell you one way or another whether the expedite was approved. It is usually only approved in extreme cases, immediate family bereavement or something similar.

USCIS is...

iouvy said:
Hi everyone,

I filed I-131 for a re-entry permit and requested expedite service to have the travel document hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks. A few days afer filing, I received I-797 stating USCIS received my application and such and such. There is no indication on the letter about my request for expedite. Does anyone know how to acknowledge whether my expedite service request is approved or not?

At the time that I sent the package to USCIS, I also faxed the same documents to Nebraska Service Center and stated my request on the fax. And again this morning, since I have my I-131 receipt #, I re-faxed the documents along with the I-797 to the same fax # hoping that I'll have a better chance.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Don't get into the habit of faxing documents to immigration offices, they could create many files under your same name and delay your entire life. Also, your emergency is not theirs. Moreover, USCIS posted a memo calling for all people to apply for AP before the end of Oct to ensure they can travel in Xmas. If you missed that one, you aren't going anywhere until Feb or March. ;) If you need to travel as in case of death or illness in your family, then make an info pass and see an immigration officer about your issue. A helpful officer can get in contact with AP issuers in their system and see if they can't help meet this situation... :cool:

However, don't create an emergency situation such as attending a traditional pig, goat, chicken and bull feast during Xmas in your home country to leave Uncle Sam... :D Such occassions don't qualify. Also, depending on how long you have been an overstay, I would strongly discourage a use of AP. :rolleyes: POE officials are laws unto themselves, and if they choose to ignore your AP, you are going to be mugged by USCIS whilst you are in your home country... :eek:

At times, POE officer give grief to people who were overstays for long period, even though they have a valid AP. Some are denied entry and send back to their home country and have to fight the bureaucracy from there. In most case, they lose as the resources which are in Uncle Sam aren't there... :mad:

No news on expedite I-131

Apparently, Nebraska Service Center doesn't seem to approve my expedite request for my I-131. They have no problem cashing my check even though I had it payable to USCIS, which I mistakenly wrote on the check, and it should have been US Dept. Of Homeland Security.

Contacting Customer Service Center leading no help either. I also tried to contact Maryland Senator, and I was told it would take quite some time for her staff to look at my case.

I simply just give up. I end up no luck whatsoever.

USCIS SUCKS BIG TIME

Good news on I-131

Guys, just wanna share a good news with you all. I got my re-entry permit today after 2 weeks of processing. USCIS didn't inform me whether they approved my request of expedite service on I-131, but they emailed me when they sent me the document. This is the very first time I realize USCIS does something nice and helpful.

I guess the letter that I wrote to request expedite service created the good work. I hope they keep doing this good work so I can get my green card soon.

My husband applied for an I-131 in October 2006 to meet his parents back home. In the meantime we found out his father's health was deteriorating and a surgery was planned so we immediately wrote a letter to our congresswoman, and we spoke to the case manager at her office, faxed the letter to her with case # of our pending I-131. She emailed us back within 1 day saying that our I-131 was approved and we will receive the notice by mail in 8-10 days. That approval was on Dec 8th. Today, 11days out and no notice in the mail, so we called USCIS again. They are saying that what was mailed out was "just a notice of approval". What you need to travel is a document with your photo ID and fingerprints on it. We were never asked to submit a photograph when we E-filed for the I-131. USCIS, gave their standard answer..."you need to give us 30 days to process your request"....ya sure...in an emergeny you need 30 days....what do I need to tell them...my father is dead?? can you approve it now??

Sorry for being frustrated....but for an only child to not see his parents and help them in their time of need ...feels like being in jail right now.

Anyone who has received the actual I-131...can you describe whether it does have a photo ID and fingerprints on it? Or is it the notice you get in mail that your I-131 is approved which you need to take with you while travelling?

alibilis said:
Anyone who has received the actual I-131...can you describe whether it does have a photo ID and fingerprints on it? Or is it the notice you get in mail that your I-131 is approved which you need to take with you while travelling?

I would be very interested in that too, as it was my understanding that the FP is only necessary for the AOS (I485) and EAD (I768), not for AP (I131). If it is the case that you can only get your AP if you have been fingerprinted then that would clear things up quite a bit.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation alibilis! My wife and I had to cancel/reschedule our flights for the holidays last night. Luckily nobody in our family needs urgent medical attention, so it's not nearly as big of a deal for us than it is for you. Knowing what I know now, it's certainly not surprising that I didn't get the AP in time, but 30 days even in an emergency has got to be a really really bad joke :( I hope everything will turn out ok for you and your family!

Firstly, I filed I-131 to apply to a re-entry permit for a permanent resident since I have been approved and granted permanent resident status. As you know, I-131 is also used to apply for advanced parole, which is different from re-entry permit.

The re-entry permit I received does have my picture, and I did send 2 passport photos with my application (you should see this requirement on the I-131 form). However, there's no finger prints on my re-entry permit. And there is no requirement of it at all on I-131.

I filed I-131 on 11/29, and USCIS received it on 11/30. After mailing the application, I faxed the same list of documents to Nebraska Service Center and requested expedite service for my I-131. A week later I received the notice stating USCIS received my application with receipt date is 11/30. And then again, I faxed the notice along with other documents to Nebraska with reference to the receipt # and asked for expedite service again. I wasn't quite sure if I did the right thing. Then on 12/15, I received an email saying that USCIS mailed me the travel document due to the earlier approval of my case. And I got the mail on Monday 12/18. They sent the document using the pre-paid envelop that I mailed to them originally with my application.

That was the whole process that I did. I believe the whole deal is the reason why you request for expedite service, and provide proof of the reason. In my case, it is my brother's wedding on 12/30/06. I mailed the wedding invitation with my application. I also wrote a letter explaining the reason and requesting for expedite service.

One more thing, I did send the same documents to my congresswoman and asked for help. But honestly, I doubt that she did anything. Otherwise, she would have informed me as she did previously about something else that I sought help from her.

Anyway, I hope this helps. And I really hope you will find a way to get this thing done soon. Good luck and God speed.

alibilis said:
My husband applied for an I-131 in October 2006 to meet his parents back home. In the meantime we found out his father's health was deteriorating and a surgery was planned so we immediately wrote a letter to our congresswoman, and we spoke to the case manager at her office, faxed the letter to her with case # of our pending I-131. She emailed us back within 1 day saying that our I-131 was approved and we will receive the notice by mail in 8-10 days. That approval was on Dec 8th. Today, 11days out and no notice in the mail, so we called USCIS again. They are saying that what was mailed out was "just a notice of approval". What you need to travel is a document with your photo ID and fingerprints on it. We were never asked to submit a photograph when we E-filed for the I-131. USCIS, gave their standard answer..."you need to give us 30 days to process your request"....ya sure...in an emergeny you need 30 days....what do I need to tell them...my father is dead?? can you approve it now??

Sorry for being frustrated....but for an only child to not see his parents and help them in their time of need ...feels like being in jail right now.