• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Error in country of eligibility

hamuna

Hi!

So, after filling the DS 260 out and sending it I started to visit different forums and found out that I made a mistake when selecting the country of eligibility. I was born in Russia, but at age of 14 I moved to Sweden. I have Swedish citizenship and have not been visiting Russia since I left. I also hold the Russian citizenship but my passport has expired many years ago. I do not plan to go back to Russia and I do not relate to Russia.
So when I entered the DV I put Sweden as I though it was right. I did not know that I should go after place of birth, not citizenship. I should have read the instructions better, I know...
Now I have read that Sweden and Russia are within the same region Europe. And it says:

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, you may continue processing the application.

Have I chance to not be disqualified?

What should I do to avoid being disqualified? Should I call KCC?
Is it KCC who will decide whether I will be disqualified or is it the embassy?

What else should I do?

Thank you.

The KCC don't decide but they will certainly highlight this to the embassy who will have the final call.

I would write to the KCC, however, to alert them to the mistake you've made. Be honest that you made a mistake but that you've completed the DS260 correctly. And make sure everything else in that DS260 is perfect. They may forgive one mistake. Multiple mistakes will start to worry them.

Unfortunately, you won't know either way until you get to the embassy and interview whether it's going to be a problem or not. But give it a shot I say. :)

Hi!

So, after filling the DS 260 out and sending it I started to visit different forums and found out that I made a mistake when selecting the country of eligibility. I was born in Russia, but at age of 14 I moved to Sweden. I have Swedish citizenship and have not been visiting Russia since I left. I also hold the Russian citizenship but my passport has expired many years ago. I do not plan to go back to Russia and I do not relate to Russia.
So when I entered the DV I put Sweden as I though it was right. I did not know that I should go after place of birth, not citizenship. I should have read the instructions better, I know...
Now I have read that Sweden and Russia are within the same region Europe. And it says:

If the entrant chooses the wrong country of chargeability at the time of the initial entry, the error will generally be disqualifying. However, if a DV applicant chooses a country of chargeability during DV registration that is within the same geographic region (one of the six) as the correct country of chargeability, and you determine that the applicant gained no benefit from his or her error, you may continue processing the application.

What else should I do?

Thank you.

As you pointed out, embassies will generally let this go if the error does not give an advantage. This would not be true if your country of birth was Ukraine or Uzbekistan since both those countries are limited during the draw.

Now, as Emily pointed out, KCC don't decide this. I actually would not have bothered writing to them - there is no advantage to doing so. I would however print out the instructions you quote above because the CO may not be aware of the option to continue processing. This way, during the interview you can calmly but confidently explain that you found out you had made a mistake but "had continued processing when you found it the error will not cause a denial". In other words you put the words in their mouth.

Hi!

What else should I do?

Thank you.

As you pointed out, embassies will generally let this go if the error does not give an advantage. This would not be true if your country of birth was Ukraine or Uzbekistan since both those countries are limited during the draw.

Now, as Emily pointed out, KCC don't decide this. I actually would not have bothered writing to them - there is no advantage to doing so. I would however print out the instructions you quote above because the CO may not be aware of the option to continue processing. This way, during the interview you can calmly but confidently explain that you found out you had made a mistake but "had continued processing when you found it the error will not cause a denial". In other words you put the words in their mouth.

Thank you for your answer! Yes, I know about Ukraine and Uzbekistan. In my case it is Russia so I hope it will be fine.
Yes, I will print the instructions out and bring them to the embassy. I have already send an e-mail to KCC telling them about the mistake. I explained that it was never my intent to gain any advantage. So if they do not decide, they will at least know that I am honest. I will also print the e-mail I sent to KCC and bring it to the embassy, just to show that I really want to be honest and contacted KCC as soon as I could when I found out I made a mistake. And I will se what KCC will answer, probably they will tell the same thing the instructions say. So I can also bring that e-mail from KCC to the embassy.

Yes, I agree. But I already did it. However, I hope it will not make it worse :confused:

KCC will simply include your email with your case file that gets sent to your embassy when your CN becomes current and you're scheduled for an interview.

KCC will simply include your email with your case file that gets sent to your embassy when your CN becomes current and you're scheduled for an interview.
I guess that would be fine. At least they will se that I tried to do my best to explain and did not want to hide anything.

I guess that would be fine. At least they will se that I tried to do my best to explain and did not want to hide anything.

You're aware someone who intentionally tried to cut corners could equally go through the same process that you've gone through and try to use that as 'evidence' that they're not trying to hide anything, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you or claiming that's your situation. Just trying to point out it may not necessarily mean anything. The CO will make the final call at the time of the interview.

You're aware someone who intentionally tried to cut corners could equally go through the same process that you've gone through and try to use that as 'evidence' that they're not trying to hide anything, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you or claiming that's your situation. Just trying to point out it may not necessarily mean anything. The CO will make the final call at the time of the interview.
Ohh, I never thought about it until you told me :(
I just directly wrote to the KCC after the first answer, as the following answers came a bit later. I just wanted to do the right thing as soon as I could. But if I could regret it I would not write to KCC as it will not serve any useful purpose.

Ohh, I never thought about it until you told me :(
I just directly wrote to the KCC after the first answer, as the following answers came a bit later. I just wanted to do the right thing as soon as I could. But if I could regret it I would not write to KCC as it will not serve any useful purpose.

Relax, I do believe you will be fine at the end of the day. I don't think writing KCC has caused any damage to your cause, I just don't think it has helped either.

Writing to the KCC won't damage your case. I wrote to the KCC with with our case when there were two discrepancies between the original eDV and the DS260. I wanted to make sure they understood why there were discrepancies so that they could go ahead and do their background checks with full knowledge.

Writing to the KCC won't damage your case. I wrote to the KCC with with our case when there were two discrepancies between the original eDV and the DS260. I wanted to make sure they understood why there were discrepancies so that they could go ahead and do their background checks with full knowledge.

Yes, agreed - there would be no harm done.