entry and exit information

Bayareabrit

I have been living in the USA for the last 20 years, still a green card holder. I am about to apply for my citizenship and I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I get hold of my exit and entry dates prior to 1999. I washed my Passport and got a replacement in 1999 and the Home office kept it. I have a passport number. I know the approximate dates, will that do?

2) I am at the moment in the UK visiting my mother who is sick and due back in the USA in back end of October, my wife and kids are still in the USA. Can I apply for my citizenship while I am over here or do I have to wait till I land back in the Land of Free

Approximate dates should be fine (you can indicate this in the application, or just tell the interviewer), unless your trips were about 12 months long. In that case, they might wonder if you might have gone over 12 months and jeopardised your green card.

I forgot whether or not you need to send in the N400 when you're in the country, but I recommend you wait till you're back. What's the hurry, eh?

"in addition, applicants are required to show they have resided for at least three months immediately preceding the filing of Form N-400 in the USCIS district or state where the applicant claims to have residency (See 8 CFR §316.2(a)(5) & §319.1(a)(5))."

since I don't back to the USA till October does the above mean I cannot send my application in till 3 months after my return,

They are not very concerned about travel that occurred more than 5 years before your application date. Just list those pre-1999 trips on a separate sheet and mention that the dates are approximate.

You mentioned having a green card for 20 years. If that included when you were under 18, and one or both of your parents obtained US citizenship before you turned 18, you may have US derived citizenship through them without knowing it. So before you file the citizenship application, make sure you're not already a US citizen.

I forgot whether or not you need to send in the N400 when you're in the country...
It is not required that the applicant is present in the US when the N-400 is filed. Of course, they'll still have to show up in the US for fingerprinting a few weeks after the application is filed.