Entering with TN under immigration ban

ferea

Hello,

Has anyone heard of dual citizens (Canadian citizen with 1 of the 7 banned countries) facing issues entering the US with an already approved TN status? If yes, can you share some details?

Thanks,

TN is not a status that would override the current ban. Right now only a green card (in most cases) or US citizenship will overcome the stipulation against those born in those countries).

I'm pretty sure that if someone on this forum had been impacted in the last 4 days, they would have reported it. No need to solicit experiences.

It's confusing, because several foreign countries have issued statements saying that their dual nationals will be allowed in.

yes, dual CITIZENS will, as I said.
But, of course, it is not the foreign country that will determine this, it is US DHS.

As I understand it Canadian citizenship in combination with the citizenship of one of the banned countries is sufficient to overcome the ban. See:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ries-cant-board-air-canada-flights-to-us.html

Note the following quote from the PMO: "We have been assured that Canadian citizens travelling on Canadian passports will be dealt with ‎in the usual process." This doesn't specifically mention TN holders, but certainly the "usual process" for Canadian passport holders is that they are eligible to enter/re-enter in TN status if the usual job/occupation/qualification requirements are met.

That would need to be ain the directive issued to DHS, since it was NOT in the executive order.

That would need to be ain the directive issued to DHS, since it was NOT in the executive order.

Look at the following DHS link:

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2017/01/29/protecting-nation-foreign-terrorist-entry-united-states

"For the next 90 days, nearly all travelers, except U.S. citizens, traveling on passports from Iraq, Syria, Sudan, Iran, Somalia, Libya, and Yemen will be temporarily suspended from entry to the United States."

No restrictions for someone traveling on a Canadian passport are mentioned regardless of their place of birth or any other citizenship(s).

I have a TN - been working in the USA for over 17 years. I live in Canada and commute every day. On Monday night, when I re-entered Canada for the day, I was chatting with the Canadian customs officer and he said that he had a long time TN Visa holder who is a doctor get denied entry because he was a dual citizen. You guessed it - dual Canadian and one of the 7 banned nations.

Today on Huffington Post there is an article about an engineer from Mexico who has worked in the USA under TN for 7 years and when he went to renew this week, he was denied.

Sonianic do you know if that was before or after DHS "clarified" their position on GC entries under the executive order?

It is hard for us to expect gov't workers to follow the rule of law, when their leader scoffs at it.

Sonianic do you know if that was before or after DHS "clarified" their position on GC entries under the executive order?

It was on Monday - first workday after order was instated. (mind you I was working late that day and did not cross back into Canada until around 10pm that day)