1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entering US with pregnancy

Discussion in 'Entering USA on B Visas' started by bdshah, Feb 24, 2010.

  1. bdshah

    bdshah New Member

    I need to travel to Us on B1 visa for few months. My wife holds B1/B2 visa and she need to travel with me. My wife is pregnant and it is possible that she will deliver before we come back from the US. Is she allowed to enter the US with 6 months pregnancy as B1 dependent? Are there any immigration laws that prevent her from entering?

    It is also possible that my company may convert my B1 to L1 in 1-2 months after I am in US. Does this add any complexity in the process for my wife because she is pregnant?

    Thanks for the help.
  2. Triple Citizen

    Triple Citizen Registered Users (C)

    There are no specific laws preventing her from entering as a visitor while pregnant. However, a POE officer may deny her entry simply on the basis that he/she is not sure that your wife will leave in a timely fashion.


  3. nkm-oct23

    nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

    The airline also may refuse to board a visibly pregnant woman.
  4. Concerned4us

    Concerned4us Banned

    Medical care in the US is not free. How do plan to pay for prenatal care and delivery? Care for premature infant can run over a million US dollars. Normal care is $10,000-$20,000.

    Where do you intend to get a doctor? Even people with known US care, referrals and insurance have trouble getting OBGYN care if moving in late pregnancy. US law requires only that she be delivered - not that she receive care before that time.

    Do you have time to wait for birth certificate and passport?

    A US citizen child will not permit you top remain in the US. It can sponsor you for a green card only at age 21. This may also change as there is much dislike of just what you are doing. Look up the phrase "anchor baby"; it is not a positive term.

    She can be denied entry or given a short stay if it believe that she will become a public charge - IE not afford to pay medical bills. Being a public charge always can present long term problems with US immigration.

    Why would you risk the lives of your wife and child by having her travel at such a critical time? If she does so, she is as foolish as you are for proposing it. A US citizen child with birth defects due to premature birth lasts a lifetime and will still not allow you to stay in the US.

    Let your company send you on L1/L2 and provide you and her with medical insurance. At least then she would have a chance of getting prenatal care.
  5. bdshah

    bdshah New Member

    Thanks a lot for the responses.

Share This Page