Employment and Driver licence renewal during pending period

rnotk

Registered Users (C)
Hi everybody,

I am in need of some information about employment and driver’s license renewal while the petition is pending.
I am currently under F-1 VISA (student), but I already finished my school and working at University of California, with OPT.

My OPT will be expired soon, so I filed I-539 petition (status change to J-1).
It has been a while since I filed this petition but there was one time they asked me an additional document, and because of this delay, I am afraid that I cannot get J-1 status before my current work permit expired.

Now I am facing two problems. I know that I can still stay in the US while my petition is pending, but how about my job?
Once my current work permit expires, I cannot work anymore? Or as far as petition is pending I can continue to work?

Also, other problem is driver’s license. My current CA driver license will be expired on the day my current work permit expired.

DMV already sent me a letter asking renewal, but the letter said I need to submit federal documents that show my legal stay in US has been extended.
What exactly I need to submit for this? Petition receipt would be good enough? (I also have supporting letter from employer) Or I need to wait until J-1 petition is granted?

Sorry for the long posting with question after question. I tried to call DMV, but (as you know) waiting time for the customer service line is normally over 15min on phone and I cannot call to DMV often from my work.

I hope some one will provide me this information.
But Any suggestions help, so please let me know!

Thank you

Hi everybody,

I am in need of some information about employment and driver’s license renewal while the petition is pending.
I am currently under F-1 VISA (student), but I already finished my school and working at University of California, with OPT.

My OPT will be expired soon, so I filed I-539 petition (status change to J-1).
It has been a while since I filed this petition but there was one time they asked me an additional document, and because of this delay, I am afraid that I cannot get J-1 status before my current work permit expired.

Now I am facing two problems. I know that I can still stay in the US while my petition is pending, but how about my job?
Once my current work permit expires, I cannot work anymore? Or as far as petition is pending I can continue to work?

Also, other problem is driver’s license. My current CA driver license will be expired on the day my current work permit expired.

DMV already sent me a letter asking renewal, but the letter said I need to submit federal documents that show my legal stay in US has been extended.
What exactly I need to submit for this? Petition receipt would be good enough? (I also have supporting letter from employer) Or I need to wait until J-1 petition is granted?

Sorry for the long posting with question after question. I tried to call DMV, but (as you know) waiting time for the customer service line is normally over 15min on phone and I cannot call to DMV often from my work.

I hope some one will provide me this information.
But Any suggestions help, so please let me know!

Thank you

To renew DL, you must have a valid, unexpired status (pending will not work here) No way around that unless you can get an International DL from your country (some states, like Ohio accept driving with overseas license)
You can not work with pending status (except for those extending H visa). Again, no way around that and if you do work, you will be violating immigration laws