emergency medicaid

ettedo2000

Hello,

My parents became green card holders in 2011. Everything was great until my mom got very sick suddenly in November 2015 and ended up in the hospital for 2 weeks. She had no insurance since they did not qualify for Obamacare. Making a long story short my mom ended up with an enormous medical bill. We want to apply for emergency Medicaid but my parents are afraid that this would come back as "means tested public benefits" and I as the sponsor would be responsible to have to pay it back.

Is this the case. Also another question They are here now just about 5 years and could qualify for Medicaid insurance at the end of this year. Would this be a problem as well and would I be responsible to pay for that as well.

I would appreciated any help any information in this reagrds. Thank you

How could they not have qualified for Obamacare??? That doesn't make sense.

How did they get their Green Card? Did anyone fill in an I-864 during their case?

Now - the medical emergency happened and the bill is due. I'm not sure they can now apply for medicaid to settle that bill. There is something called "retroactive medicaid" but that might vary by state and has some conditions for eligibility above normal medicaid. They should ask the hospital about that - they are probably going to have to negotiate with the hospital/billers anyway to make an arrangement to pay the bill over time and at a reduced rate. They MUST be proactive about this - they must not just ignore the problem.