Eligibility for Citizenship Application as 5Yr GC holder - still submit proof of marriage?

marbor08

Registered Users (C)
Hello all. I am a permanent resident who became a permanent resident (PR) in October 2009 through marriage to a US citizen. I am still happily married and want to apply for citizenship.

Which is the correct eligibility to check off on the N-400 application? The first box, eligibility based on being a PR more than 5 years OR the second box, eligibility based on being a PR more than 3 years and married to a US citizen?

If I check the first box if, is that still considered applying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a US citizen (and therefore I have to submit all the supporting documents)?

If you qualify under both rules, it is generally advisable to use the 5-year rule. No, in that case, you would not be applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen.

You won't need to submit the large stack of marriage-related paperwork if you choose the 5-year rule. However, at the interview they may ask for the marriage certificate regardless of which category you apply under.