Education for OCI in India

punyavan

Registered Users (C)
Hello, soon I will have to seek admission for my child in Kerala for Engineering in a private college. Does any one know whether any restriction for getting admission for a US citizen with OCI status?, thanks

Thats actually not totally true...
Please investigate thoroughly before you decide one way or another.

Each states have their own rules (seems like).. AP allows OCI/PIO kids to give entrance exams(EAMCET).. other states don't.
Most colleges are allowed to have 15% seats within the 100% for NRI. For PIO/OCI they have 15 % seats above the number of allowed seats for OCI/PIO/foreign kid. Say if a college has 100 seats it can have 15 more seats (115 total), but the 15 will be used by PIO/OCI/foreign kids only. However to do this, these colleges have to get permission from AICTE. in Mumbai not a lot of private colleges have done this to my knowledge. To get this approval colleges need to prove that they have sufficient staffing and i think a hostel (i am not 100% sure of the exact criteria). But not a lot of private colleges are taking OCI/PIO right now in mumbai at least (per my knowledge).

For IIT, OCI have to give the entrance exam, no quota (fee structure might be different). For NIT's etc there is a DASA scheme for OCI/NRI etc.

Good news is there is going to be a new university with reservation for OCI/PIO in bangalore in 2 years max. The GOI is looking to see if other trusts will start similar universities in 4 other places. So over the next 10-20 years (when my boy is of that age), there should be more options.

Please do investigate this as much as you can before you make any decision. The "parity with NRI for OCI" is not very clear in my opinion. I might be wrong in saying this, so please do investigate this thoroughly. There are forums for R2I (return to india..google r2i forum), try to get on there , since they deal with these specific issues.

Being a parent myself, i identify with your concern... so please google and read as much as you can before you decide one ways or another. Try to contact the actual colleges too. I think this is a recent phenomenon (R2I.. return to India), and though GOI is taking the right steps, there may be issues upfront.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check govt of india's brochure for OCI cards - it claims to provide parity with NRIs in education field.

NRI's can give CET (they are indian nationals), CET=> common entrance exam, PIO/OCI who are foreign nationals can not.
(NOTE AP just started allowing PIO/OCI to appear for this exam in 2010), other states do not.

So NRI and OCI are not exactly the same... I too have read the "parity with NRI" statement. This is a very generic statement.
I would recommend searching other sources for this too.

NRI's can give CET (they are indian nationals), CET=> common entrance exam, PIO/OCI who are foreign nationals can not.
(NOTE AP just started allowing PIO/OCI to appear for this exam in 2010), other states do not.

So NRI and OCI are not exactly the same... I too have read the "parity with NRI" statement. This is a very generic statement.

It makes perfect sense, actually by not allowing OCI holders from taking the CET which gets a person the schooling at minimal cost (depending on his score in the CET). OCI holders should be eligible for schooling by paying the NRI specified fee, under the NRI quota.

Yeah.. i don't think they can get into NRI quota either... most places GOI has a separate quota for them.. which not all colleges are providing.... i might be wrong .. but thats what i have read on forums and on DTE site about which colleges can admit PIO/OCI.... anyways 20 years before i have to bother about this.... so all the best!!!

---------------- Here is Info from MHA to AMIT SIKKA RTI regarding" parity with NRI":
http://www.rti.india.gov.in/cic_decisions/WB-13032009-01.pdf

http://www.rti.india.gov.in/cic_decisions/WB-13032009-01.pdf

I understand the "parity with NRI's" statement on various sites... But if an NRI can give an exam which OCI can't.. by definition there is some "non -parity"... Also to admit NRI students or NRI sponsored students, colleges dont need to get special permission from AICTE ,but for OCI/PIO/foreign nationals they do... again some more "non-parity"...

Please do let me know if you personally know somebody whose OCI kid has taken admission in a private college through NRI quota.... it'll put my mind at ease too..

I saw this link at http://entrance.icbse.com/keam/eligibility/ and it has the following info for Kerala entrance exam:
"(i) Applicant should be an Indian citizen. Persons of Indian Origin (PIO)/Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card Holders will be treated on par with Indian citizens for the limited purpose of admission"
And this link: http://www.cee-kerala.org/engmed/2009/examnoti/pros.pdf shows,
"6.1 Nativity : Only Indian citizens are eligible for admission to Professional courses unless
otherwise notified. Holders of Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) Cards/OCI (Overseas Citizen of
India) will also be treated at par with Indian citizens for the limited purpose of admission."

I think if they are allowing OCI card holders to appear for professional college entrance exam, there will not be a problem for admission in NRI quota as well by paying the NRI fee in private professional colleges?
If anyone has experience and secured admission with OCI card, it will be nice to hear back..