Education background and former employers

dpark

Hi all,

I have a job offer from one of companies in the states, and their legal team is preparing my application now.
However, I have some questions about this application.

They said, since my background (Bachelor and Master of Chemical Engineering) and the offered job (Process Engineer) in E-commerce are not clear fit within one of NAFTA job categories, they will prepare my application to send them to USCIS. I had process improvement experience in chemical and automotive industries, that's why I was offered for my continuous improvement experience.

However, it does not sound good to me. Here are my questions.

Q1. Is it possible to receive TN visa if my education background does not match with their industry? Though I got offered for the position though.

Q2. In case that USCIS might request the proof of my experience, is it okay to get letters from my former managers? Does it have to be from HR or former managers are okay? I have three different professional experience, and one experience is more than 7 years ago, and it was in foreign country. I am not even sure if I will have this letter, actually.

I will appreciate if anyone who might know this issues.

Thank you.

Most degrees are not geared to a particular industry, but rather a particular set of tasks. So, the key will be to point out aspects of your education (ie. course loads) that fit the TASKS you will be doing, not the job title, or the industry you working. I would be hard-pressed to come up with a chemical process that you would be applying in e-commerce.

In the TN world, your experience has absolutely NOTHING to do with getting TN status. For engineering, Only your education counts. So, going that route is a waste of time. No one is going to ask for this, or look at this to determine TN eligibility.

So, unless you can shoiw that you will be working as a chemical engineer, using that particular skill-set to perform the tasks of your job, they your TN process is a non-starter.

April is the next window for h1-B.

Last edited:
@nelsona
Okay. I have applied for the TN visa but I got requested RFE by USCIS. Basically whether the NAFTA category of "Engineer" is aligned with the offered position and whether you are qualified for the position.
Legal team is preparing a draft but I wonder if it can successfully go through smoothly.

I heard that USCIS is requesting RFE quite often nowadays. Do you know any of news?

Thank you.

Does it matter? You have an RFE that you will either answer successfully, or not. Hope you have a great legal team, but I somehow doubt it, unless they have hired a firm that specializes in TN. Getting a TN doesn't require great legal minds.

What is happening to other petitions means nothing to you. Focus.