1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are looking for volunteer moderators for the forums for various topics. If you are interested and feel that you have the experience for the same, please contact us with your name and topic of interest and your experience in the area in which you wish to volunteer. A moderator is required to visit the forum on a regular basis, control spam, report offending posters, provide recommendations for reorganizing the forums etc.
  3. US Immigration attorney, Rajiv S. Khanna hosts a free community conference call for US Immigration questions every other Thursday at 12:30 p.m, EST. You can post your questions in the conference call forum and dial into the call at (202)800-8394.

EB1-EA - options for self petition without a lawyer - do I stand a chance

Discussion in 'National Interest Waiver and EB1' started by sri2377, Apr 9, 2012.

  1. sri2377

    sri2377 Registered Users (C)


    I am a researcher in the field of Math and computational biology with PhD from IIT in India.

    1. 10 original papers
    2. professional memberships that requires nominations
    3. 63 isi citations, 89 google scholar citations, with ony 3 self citations
    4. 8 conferences
    5. 10 talks (invited and conferences)
    6. 4 hews highlights about my scieitific work
    7. one released software online
    8. Reviewed many many articles for many journals
    9. Been a judge for undergraduates and graduate presentations in 2 conferences
    10. won CSIR fellowships, travel awards - (I know I cannot claim these as nationally/internationally acclaimed - but can use to justify I am in top 2%)
    11. 7 experts (both in US and in US, Canada) are willing to write strong letters

    I am planning for EB1 -EA and also looking for lawyers. But I also want to see if I can do DIY because of a bit money crunch. Give me some inputs on this. Thanks folks for all your great support in this forum.
  2. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    It is possible to successfully prepare your own petition but is advisable to run it by a lawyer before filing. On the one hand, you are a well educated individual but the law is outside your area of expertise and this is a highly complex area of immigration law.

    Here are a couple of items to get you started on your research to see if you want to try to DIY:

  3. sri2377

    sri2377 Registered Users (C)

    Thanks, I am hunting for immigration firms that can do EB1 EA. Making a comparison between several firms both quality wise and cost wise.
    Is it possible to do I140 alone through the firm and do I 485 ourself? They are charging a tonne for 1485 filing - which seems to be very simple.
    Thanks again.
  4. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)


    This category allows for "concurrent filing" and that would be a lot of paperwork to prepare all at once. You can simply file the I-140 first and wait to get approved before filing for adjustment. [This assumes that you are NOW inside the U.S. on a valid non-immigrant visa other than J-1.]

    IF you are on a J-1 AND subject to 212(e) home residence requirement, it just gets more complicated.
  5. sri2377

    sri2377 Registered Users (C)

    I am in US with H1b and have J1 waiver already.

Share This Page