EB1-EA Interview Experience !

modunet

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

My I-140 EB1-EA was apporved before April, 2005. And then my I-485 has been pending because of the FBI name check... Recently, I received an interview notice. The date for interview is Oct. 29, 2007. I am not sure why I should have an interview. I am still working for the company I started when I came US.

Please share your experiences for EB1-EA interview. I am nervous very much now. I have not published my work after I got an approval for I-140 because I works for a company. I have been promoted as the VP and Head of the software development department. My laywer asked me to prepare documents to prove my work still belongs to the extraordinary ability. Do you think the customer list and the articles for our software help ? We have more than 2,000 customers of our software worldwide. The CEO of our company can make a letter I am in charge of the software and a new version has been released this year in my responsibility. Also I am developing algorithms for the software by myself.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

My I-140 EB1-EA was apporved before April, 2005. And then my I-485 has been pending because of the FBI name check... Recently, I received an interview notice. The date for interview is Oct. 29, 2007. I am not sure why I should have an interview. I am still working for the company I started when I came US.

Please share your experiences for EB1-EA interview. I am nervous very much now. I have not published my work after I got an approval for I-140 because I works for a company. I have been promoted as the VP and Head of the software development department. My laywer asked me to prepare documents to prove my work still belongs to the extraordinary ability. Do you think the customer list and the articles for our software help ? We have more than 2,000 customers of our software worldwide. The CEO of our company can make a letter I am in charge of the software and a new version has been released this year in my responsibility. Also I am developing algorithms for the software by myself.
Thanks

First .best guess estimate of your situation.Its I-485 AOS interview and not EB1-EA interview.The major question to answer is whether you are working in the field of expertise you claimed on your 140 petition.

So go back to your original petition and see if you can add more things to each criteria
Like more papers IF NOT then more citation of your previous papers
one or two recommendation letter from present CEO saying that you work in the similar filed and you have done sos ans amazing thing like you algorithms
if you can get letters from customer/clients thats is still better

I am now FREE~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

The interview was the worst interview in my life but the result was the best

The interview took around 2 hours and 30 minutes !!!!!!!!!

It looked the IO did not know about EB1-EA and told me IO got the document in the morning of the interview date. I will not mention about the normal things in this post.

The interview was started with a QUESTION "Did you get a Nobel Prize ?". I said 'NO', and my lawyer told IO "if I have a Nobel prize, we would not be here".

And then IO asked me to show an evidence which I have Extarordinary Ability. So I thought IO wanted to get one sample I have the extraordinary ability. From this question...my interview was getting to fall in the hell. I showed IO one of my papers published in the world famous journal in my field. I told IO the paper was selected as the COVER story and ??????~~~?????. But IO did not get it. IO started to check every 6 categories we claimed... Whenever I tried to explain, IO said "I did not get it because of your accent !". In the middle of the interview, my lawyer told "If you are a native, you will get it easily". I am not sure whether the mention of my lawyer was a JOKE or not. Once my lawyer told IO something, IO said "I did not get it and tell me again".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's a long story... I could not explain all here and also I do not want to remember the interview again... I think you can imagine with the above what happened in the interview...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After checking all, the IO went to the supervisor and came back after around 10 minutes. The IO looked very depressed. And then IO told my lawyer, IO would approve my case. But after saying that, the IO asked me the pay stubs and the 2006 tax return to confirm my salary. But IO told me my salary is not the same amount I told IO. So I told IO my salary was rasied on March, 2006. But still, she wanted to get the same number on the documents. But only I had some pay stubs for this year and a wire transfer copy of my monthly salary topup. So I gave my calculation to IO with the evidence including an employment letter with the current salary information. But still the IO wanted to get the same number on the TAX return... It took long time to make the IO understand the calculation... After spending long(?) time for the salary issue, IO asked me my current job...

At last, I was getting out of the hell...

After then it looked everything was being proceeded well but another issue was waiting us... Other questions for I-485 were very simple. The IO asked us copies of birth certificates for my son and my wife.

Finally the IO told us our case could be approved but IO said my name was pending when IO checked my name check status before the interview... IO had a paper about my name check. I felt I was falling into a BLACKHOLE again I could not get out of. And then IO told us IO could check my name check status again. And then IO told us "my name check is cleared". Can you believe this situation ? It's a miracle ! IO checked my wife's finger print and said my wife's finger print has been expired. My wife told IO she did the finger print this year. The IO checked her finger print status again and then told us my wife's finger print was also cleared...

FINALLY, the IO approved our cases and gave us a congratulation letter. The IO told me we could get the CARD within 2 months.

The interview was terrible and dramatic... I went there with my sons and my lawyer... My sons were making small noise in the begining of the interview, the IO told my sons to stop making noise directly and asked us not to make noise. IO was also very nervous...I am not sure why... Imagine ! How can small children sit down without small noise such as moving noise for more than 2 hours in the tiny room. There was only three chairs so my sons sit down on the floor...

Too many things happened in my interview. After one day for the interview, I am getting out of the shock and the wrath. I think you can imagine what was happened in the IO office. So I could not remember all. But I'd like to recommend you the followings for EB1-EA applicants if you need an interview.

1. Go to your interview with a lawyer. For my case, he helped me very much. If your IO is an expertise, it maybe OK without a lawyer. But if your IO is not an expertise, I strongly recommend you to go to your interview with a lawyer.

2. If you have small children, you can go to your interview with a baby sitter. IO asked us whether a baby sitter came with us or not saying her office is too small.

3. You should prepare all criteria with simple and clear words which everybody can understand. If you think you need, you need to bring clear evidences for all your categories you claimed for the Extraordinary ability. For example, if you submitted a membership as an evidence, you need a document or a print from web-site which saying the membership only can be joined for the people who made a great achivement in this field.

Thanks

Man this IO sounds to be a jerk really, not more not less.

Congratulations anyway for escaping his wrath...

Modunet:

I have never heard of EAs getting an interview letter. Good that your attorney came along. Finally it is done.

Congratulations!!!

Modunet:

I have never heard of EAs getting an interview letter. Good that your attorney came along. Finally it is done.

Congratulations!!!

Yes I have never heard of EB1-EA getting interview. I think he as got the one because the case has been pending since 2005.

Anyway congrats Modunet

man, this sounds like some halloween horror movie but thankfully everything turned out ok in the end. Good for you. Congratulations.

WOW!! It gave me shivers while I was reading your experience. All is well that ends well. Thanks for sharing your experience.
BOO!! HOOO!! Halloween

EB1s should never get an interview. Did you ask why they called you for the interview?

They should not treat the future Noble prize winners like this.

Another important point: EBEA does not require your paystubs or Job. Job offer is waived in that. So why were you asked that?

Hmmm

Hello,

I did not know why the IO asked me the salary stubs... ???? ... In the middle of interview, my lawyer told IO I got promoted to the VP position and my salay was rasied... But my lawyer told me sometimes they wanted to check the current job title and duties to check the continuity in the same field we filed.

Thanks

EB1s should never get an interview. Did you ask why they called you for the interview?

They should not treat the future Noble prize winners like this.

Another important point: EBEA does not require your paystubs or Job. Job offer is waived in that. So why were you asked that?

My Lawyer told me the same that USCIS does not care about pay stubs for EB1-EA. Also once I-485 is approved based on eb1-ea, one can do any job and need not show extraordinary again (already proved) unlike NIW where the applicant has to show that s/he is working on national interest research.

Any thoughts?

My Lawyer told me the same that USCIS does not care about pay stubs for EB1-EA. Also once I-485 is approved based on eb1-ea, one can do any job and need not show extraordinary again (already proved) unlike NIW where the applicant has to show that s/he is working on national interest research.

Any thoughts?

That is correct. The IO unnecessary grilled here.

I feel sad that a person of EA and someone at the top of his profession in the world was humiliated.

This is bacuse EB1s are not united and they do not raise their voice against injustice.

Why should EB1s wait for 1 year or more after filing their I485s?

I think modunet must share this story with a reporter and tell how he was humiliated.

My Lawyer told me the same that USCIS does not care about pay stubs for EB1-EA.

Any thoughts?

Don't think that is true all the time, i.e. if a company files for you EB-1A, then you need those pay stubs.
I may be wrong; so if anyone knows better, what the law is, then please let me know.

i

Hi modunet,
first of all, many congratulations for your success. can not tolerate such a rude behavior of IO. what these people think?? stupid!!
like to ask you few questions??
1)did they ask you to take your child to the interview, if so, why??
2)did your company filed EB1 for you or you filed yourself?
3)did you hire a lawyer or you took company lawyer?
4)your PhD from USA or from your own country?
5)you belong to which country?
6)your birth certificate was affidavit or normal?

thank you, never mind!!

I did not know why the IO asked me the salary stubs... ???? ... In the middle of interview, my lawyer told IO I got promoted to the VP position and my salay was rasied... But my lawyer told me sometimes they wanted to check the current job title and duties to check the continuity in the same field we filed.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

pswami, You are totally right in that Eb1 (top priority workers) should be treated more aptly and with respect. Unfortunately, what has happened is that many who are weak cases for EB1 also apply in that category, thinking that they will give it their best shot. Nothing wrong with that from their point of view. But it just dilutes out the importance of EB1, I think. And then people like the poster here, modunet, though extremely well qualified and in a top position, has to face the wrath of those IOs.

hi modunet,
now you are a very happy man and enjoying your beautiful moment. I would apprecite if you can take your valuable time to help us by answering few of my posted questions. I am also in the same situation. waiting for your helpful comments. please follow my previous post. hope you will help us!!:rolleyes:
thanks.

Hello,

Thanks

hi modunet,

congrats- few additional ?
1)which country you belong to??
2)which center handle your I140 & I485

hope you will help this forum members.

Hello,

The interview was the worst interview in my life but the result was the best

The interview took around 2 hours and 30 minutes !!!!!!!!!

It looked the IO did not know about EB1-EA and told me IO got the document in the morning of the interview date. I will not mention about the normal things in this post.

The interview was started with a QUESTION "Did you get a Nobel Prize ?". I said 'NO', and my lawyer told IO "if I have a Nobel prize, we would not be here".

And then IO asked me to show an evidence which I have Extarordinary Ability. So I thought IO wanted to get one sample I have the extraordinary ability. From this question...my interview was getting to fall in the hell. I showed IO one of my papers published in the world famous journal in my field. I told IO the paper was selected as the COVER story and ??????~~~?????. But IO did not get it. IO started to check every 6 categories we claimed... Whenever I tried to explain, IO said "I did not get it because of your accent !". In the middle of the interview, my lawyer told "If you are a native, you will get it easily". I am not sure whether the mention of my lawyer was a JOKE or not. Once my lawyer told IO something, IO said "I did not get it and tell me again".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's a long story... I could not explain all here and also I do not want to remember the interview again... I think you can imagine with the above what happened in the interview...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After checking all, the IO went to the supervisor and came back after around 10 minutes. The IO looked very depressed. And then IO told my lawyer, IO would approve my case. But after saying that, the IO asked me the pay stubs and the 2006 tax return to confirm my salary. But IO told me my salary is not the same amount I told IO. So I told IO my salary was rasied on March, 2006. But still, she wanted to get the same number on the documents. But only I had some pay stubs for this year and a wire transfer copy of my monthly salary topup. So I gave my calculation to IO with the evidence including an employment letter with the current salary information. But still the IO wanted to get the same number on the TAX return... It took long time to make the IO understand the calculation... After spending long(?) time for the salary issue, IO asked me my current job...

At last, I was getting out of the hell...

After then it looked everything was being proceeded well but another issue was waiting us... Other questions for I-485 were very simple. The IO asked us copies of birth certificates for my son and my wife.

Finally the IO told us our case could be approved but IO said my name was pending when IO checked my name check status before the interview... IO had a paper about my name check. I felt I was falling into a BLACKHOLE again I could not get out of. And then IO told us IO could check my name check status again. And then IO told us "my name check is cleared". Can you believe this situation ? It's a miracle ! IO checked my wife's finger print and said my wife's finger print has been expired. My wife told IO she did the finger print this year. The IO checked her finger print status again and then told us my wife's finger print was also cleared...

FINALLY, the IO approved our cases and gave us a congratulation letter. The IO told me we could get the CARD within 2 months.

The interview was terrible and dramatic... I went there with my sons and my lawyer... My sons were making small noise in the begining of the interview, the IO told my sons to stop making noise directly and asked us not to make noise. IO was also very nervous...I am not sure why... Imagine ! How can small children sit down without small noise such as moving noise for more than 2 hours in the tiny room. There was only three chairs so my sons sit down on the floor...

Too many things happened in my interview. After one day for the interview, I am getting out of the shock and the wrath. I think you can imagine what was happened in the IO office. So I could not remember all. But I'd like to recommend you the followings for EB1-EA applicants if you need an interview.

1. Go to your interview with a lawyer. For my case, he helped me very much. If your IO is an expertise, it maybe OK without a lawyer. But if your IO is not an expertise, I strongly recommend you to go to your interview with a lawyer.

2. If you have small children, you can go to your interview with a baby sitter. IO asked us whether a baby sitter came with us or not saying her office is too small.

3. You should prepare all criteria with simple and clear words which everybody can understand. If you think you need, you need to bring clear evidences for all your categories you claimed for the Extraordinary ability. For example, if you submitted a membership as an evidence, you need a document or a print from web-site which saying the membership only can be joined for the people who made a great achivement in this field.

Thanks

Hello... I hope this can help you...

Hello

1)did they ask you to take your child to the interview, if so, why??

-> My lawyer asked me to take my children to the interview. And one of my children received an interview notice.

2)did your company filed EB1 for you or you filed yourself?

-> Financially, my company supported me fully. But I filed the case by myself as a self-petition because EB1-EA does not need a sponsor.

3)did you hire a lawyer or you took company lawyer?

-> I hired a lawyer.

4)your PhD from USA or from your own country?

-> I got my Ph.D degreen in our country.

5)you belong to which country?

-> An asian country, not china and not India.

6)your birth certificate was affidavit or normal?

-> We do not have a birth certificate as USA. affidavit !!!

7) which center handle your I140 & I485

-> I filed my I-140 to the TSC and filed I485s to the CSC because I am living in CA. My I-485 was transferred to the Nebrask and then NBC. After transferred to the NBC, I got the interview notice in 20 days.

If you go to an interview, maybe you need to prepare a presentation about your evidences using simple and short but strong words. If you have any strong words in your documents, make highlights and show them to your IO when your IO ask you.

I hope this can help you ...

Thanks