Eb-2 For Teachers

delhi_boy

Registered Users (C)
Hi
We filed under EB-2 for my wife on 5/12. She is a high school teacher ,Bsc BEd MSc ( Math ) with 6 years of teaching experience. We though as Math and Science teachers are in demand we will get approval easily and fast but until now there is no news neither denial nor approval.My lawyer says there was some prob with PERM and DOL which they have fixed and we should hear something soon. I dont know my current status as only my lawyer can login to the system and check. I have read abt people gettting approvals in weeks or even in days.Do you guys think applying in EB-2 was a mistake and that is why there is a delay. Please share your opinions.
I appreciate your concern,time and help.
Thanks.

delhi_boy said:
Hi
We filed under EB-2 for my wife on 5/12. She is a high school teacher ,Bsc BEd MSc ( Math ) with 6 years of teaching experience. We though as Math and Science teachers are in demand we will get approval easily and fast but until now there is no news neither denial nor approval.My lawyer says there was some prob with PERM and DOL which they have fixed and we should hear something soon. I dont know my current status as only my lawyer can login to the system and check. I have read abt people gettting approvals in weeks or even in days.Do you guys think applying in EB-2 was a mistake and that is why there is a delay. Please share your opinions.
I appreciate your concern,time and help.
Thanks.

The job requirment for a Secondary School/High School teacher does not require a Master degree. Bachelors degree with few yrs teacher training is the requirements(Community College requires Masters).

Then, how did you apply for EB2?

yes, elementary, secondary teaching positions (not only community college or university teaching positions) can qualify for EB2. There are positions that require a masters degree as equivalent to fullfilling state teaching licensure requirements, that are usually listed on state board of education web sites.

Having a state license or being eligible to get one is the first and utmost requirement for hiring, one also has to have in mind that many states do not consider issuing provisional licenses any more. By doing so, they comply with No Child Left Behind, section that specify 2006 as the year when all employed K-12 teachers will HAVE full teaching license and be considered highly qualified. Otherwise, many teachers on conditional licenses loose jobs as they are not able to satisfy the state certification requirements. But that is another issue for another discussion.

To be on the safe side, you can double-check state board of education web site, and requirements for Science Math teachers.

well my wife has california state teaching credential which is a must now if u want to teach in CA and moreover she has converted that preliminary teaching credential which was valid for 5 years into a Professional clear credential by taking classes from Cal state university and giving state exams. Now abt us filing under EB-2 when job requirement is just BA+ few years of experience, i dont know much abt it and i am still learning this whole process.But i would say when a software professional who is BE and has experience of 5 + years can file under EB-2 then why not a teacher ,because in software also job req is just BE+ few years exp ,please correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks

delhi_boy said:
well my wife has california state teaching credential which is a must now if u want to teach in CA and moreover she has converted that preliminary teaching credential which was valid for 5 years into a Professional clear credential by taking classes from Cal state university and giving state exams. Now abt us filing under EB-2 when job requirement is just BA+ few years of experience, i dont know much abt it and i am still learning this whole process.But i would say when a software professional who is BE and has experience of 5 + years can file under EB-2 then why not a teacher ,because in software also job req is just BE+ few years exp ,please correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks

Once again, EB2 is purly based on the job requirements (job offered to you), it is however not depends on one's wish, company's wish or attorney's wish, or simply having MS PHd will qulaify for EB2.

If the elementary/secondary school jobs only reqd BS, + 2 yrs exp, even you have MS, PhD or DSc will not qulify you to go through EB2.

High school teacher

Great Guru and Delhi Boy
I have been reading you guy's posting and I found information very useful. I am also high school math and science teacher (in TX) . My lawyer is trying to file my application under perm since one month (ads were placed May 15-June18) . But he is still not be able to complete the application and file. He has been saying so many things so far...and now he is saying that he needs to post job in SWA.
I am wondering for a high school teaching position, Is it required to post job in SWA as well?
My lawyer already placed job in two newspaper as described in PERM document and also school's website.
He says because of not posting job in SWA, he is unable to file my application.
Can someone please clarify this? I am having hard time to trust my lawyer.
Thanks

is that your personal exp great guru?

I am very much interested to hear your personal perspective and exp.

And there are variations of course. While job requirement does not specifically ask for masters degree. Job req DO ask for: full valid teaching license. That is a must.

So, depending on State where our candidate resides (no matter if he is a US citizen or not), to be able to get full teaching license, means going through State approved teaching program at accredited institution of Higher Education.
Some States have teacher prep programs that at the end reward Masters Degrees. With that paper, undergrad and graduate transcripts, and prof reccomendations candidates can then apply for a teaching license at State Board of Education. So, valid conclusion here would be - yes, some can use EB2, as req is a full teaching license=masters degree.

mayat said:
Great Guru and Delhi Boy
I have been reading you guy's posting and I found information very useful. I am also high school math and science teacher (in TX) . My lawyer is trying to file my application under perm since one month (ads were placed May 15-June18) . But he is still not be able to complete the application and file. He has been saying so many things so far...and now he is saying that he needs to post job in SWA.
I am wondering for a high school teaching position, Is it required to post job in SWA as well?
My lawyer already placed job in two newspaper as described in PERM document and also school's website.
He says because of not posting job in SWA, he is unable to file my application.
Can someone please clarify this? I am having hard time to trust my lawyer.
Thanks

yes, SWA joborder is required.

felix31 said:
is that your personal exp great guru?

I am very much interested to hear your personal perspective and exp.

And there are variations of course. While job requirement does not specifically ask for masters degree. Job req DO ask for: full valid teaching license. That is a must.

So, depending on State where our candidate resides (no matter if he is a US citizen or not), to be able to get full teaching license, means going through State approved teaching program at accredited institution of Higher Education.
Some States have teacher prep programs that at the end reward Masters Degrees. With that paper, undergrad and graduate transcripts, and prof reccomendations candidates can then apply for a teaching license at State Board of Education. So, valid conclusion here would be - yes, some can use EB2, as req is a full teaching license=masters degree.

If license is only requirements for teacher, you can take individual courses from accredited isntitution of Higher education with out taking even BS degree to qualify the licensing requirments.So do more research on the job description.

If the Job description requires only License , and an US citizen apply for the job with no degree, he must be getting the job even if alien holding PhD in Education.

My Lawyer told me that EB2 is only possible for Teacher is School is willing to put Master for Job requirement. But Teachers job does not require Masters - it is clearly mentioned on the school board website.

some of us here may know for two or three states and are familiar how things work in general, but why then some still continue to make assumptions that the same will apply all over US.

Bch degree in any field is a requirement to be issued conditional teaching license (at least in my State). However, many school systems do not hire with provisional license from jan 2005 per NCLB.

I know of some US citizens in my neiborhood who were not given a position because they do not hold or are not eligible to get a full state license and were advised to get the training FIRST and then re-apply.

While on the other hand my other friend got a position and will apply PERM in september (has already full license). According to NCLB on-the-job -trainings will not be acceptable as of jan 2006 in all of US. They just follow NCLB which I have been quoting here. If DOL has any problem with it - well we will hear about that quite soon.

will let everyone here know the results anyway :)

bsnf said:
My Lawyer told me that EB2 is only possible for Teacher is School is willing to put Master for Job requirement. But Teachers job does not require Masters - it is clearly mentioned on the school board website.

And your state is NC?

bsnf said:

any news about your wife's case?

felix31 said:
any news about your wife's case?

Nope, nothing yet - do you know how long it takes to get the denial letter - I have asked this question multiple times, no one has replied - It is hard to believe that no one has received the denial letter yet.

Anyway thanks everyone for the input and help.

bsnf said:
Nope, nothing yet - do you know how long it takes to get the denial letter - I have asked this question multiple times, no one has replied - It is hard to believe that no one has received the denial letter yet.

Anyway thanks everyone for the input and help.

Well, who knows. My guess is that if everything in your wife's case is OK, (and I dont see why it would not be) except for the web site dates, you will get a letter saying so, attorney will correct (if possible) and re-apply.
BUT, here is the catch, in 90%+ cases school districts have the same ads running 24/7 all year. How will then that impact PERM, they may issue audit review. Also you can suggest your attorney to phone DOL and ask how to go about that specific thing..
good luck

School Job requirements ( For High School Math Teacher ) are BS + 3 years Teaching experience PLUS VALID TEACHING CREDENTIAL. Now to complete all courses to get a valid teaching credential takes abt 2 years time and by the time one finishes all courses he/she is already equivalent to a Masters degree holder ( I mean enough credits ) , so indirectly schools requirements are Masters plus experience.Please correct me if i am wrong.
Thanks

Hi Everyone,

My sister is a high school physics teacher with M.Sc., M.Ed. and 10 years of experience currently working in India. I have been trying to find information on how to get her a job here in the US but so far I haven't been able to find out even where to begin. Any information will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.