E2 and I-94

French_guy

As a E2 visa holder (French national), will I systematically receive a 2 year I-94, regardless of when the visa itself expires?
For example, if my E2 visa expires on July 2024 and I travel to Canada for a few days and re-enter in the US on May 2nd 2024 for example, will I get a I-94 for 2 years (valid until May 1st, 2026)?
Or could an officer decide that since my visa expires soon, he won't give me a I-94 beyond the date of expiration of the visa and I will be given a I-94 "aligned" on the visa date?

As someone with an E2 visa, usually the time on your I-94 is linked to how long your visa is valid for and not just a set period of two years. But sometimes, CBP officers can decide differently, so they might make your I-94 end at the same time as when your visa expires. To increase the possibility of receiving an extended I-94, ensure that you possess all required documents to show your ongoing eligibility for the E2 visa. This includes business strategies, financial records, and proof of continuous investment.

As someone with an E2 visa, usually the time on your I-94 is linked to how long your visa is valid for and not just a set period of two years. But sometimes, CBP officers can decide differently, so they might make your I-94 end at the same time as when your visa expires. To increase the possibility of receiving an extended I-94, ensure that you possess all required documents to show your ongoing eligibility for the E2 visa. This includes business strategies, financial records, and proof of continuous investment.
When you say "usually the time on your I-94 is linked to how long your visa is valid for".......where do you get that from?
I would say usually, a E2 holder will receive a 2 year (-1 day) I-94 regardless of when the visa expires (as long as the passport is vaild of course)
But I was somehow asking if an officer could decide differently, and on what ground?

The info I mentioned about the I-94 typically aligning with the visa validity comes from various experiences shared by E2 visa holders I've come across, plus insights from immigration forums and resources. You're right though, the standard is usually a 2-year I-94. But sometimes, CBP officers might make exceptions based on their discretion. It's a bit unpredictable, but having all your documents in order, especially those proving your ongoing eligibility for the E2 visa, can definitely increase your chances of getting an extended I-94 if needed.