E-3 with overseas paid salary

CharlieJP

Hi all,

I'm an overseas employee of a large US firm, and travel to the US very frequently on business - something like 6 times a year, sometimes for a month or two at a time, always on a WB. I'm getting concerned that my number and length stays in the US (meetings, planning sessions, attending training etc.) will start to raise questions and although the visits fully comply with the WB requirements, isn't really in the spirit of the visa.

I qualify for all aspects of an E-3 visa (Australian citizen, speciality occupation, high salary). Could I apply for an E-3 and use it for my frequent US visits while retaining my overseas employment and overseas paid salary, or would I need to move the employment and salary to the US parent company? I'd prefer not to transfer to become a full US employee (as I don't hit the 183 day qualification for US tax), so keeping my currently overseas employment but securing an E-3 to make the frequent and lengthy trips more above board seems like a good option.

Will there be a problem if I get an E-3 visa but continue to be paid only by the overseas subsidiary?

Thoughts?