E-3 Questions

darkcity

Registered Users (C)
1) Can I file for/receive an E-3 at any time of year?

2) How long do these applications generally take to process and is there a way to expedite it?

If you are an Australian who qualifies as a "specialty occupation" worker, you can apply to the Consulate anytime OR if in the U.S. in a lawful non-immigrant or parole status (other than parole from ICE detention), your employer can file an I-129 with USCIS for change of status or extension of stay (if already an E-3).

Expedite criteria are found on the USCIS website, it is hard to qualify, but that classification is not a lengthy adjudication anyway.

The Consulate might have different different criteria or not offer any expedite option, check with them.

Is there a list of criteria somewhere for the "specialty occupation" you mentioned? I'm interested to see if I qualify.

Are you able to give me a rough idea on how long the average E-3 adjudication takes?

Finally, I assume an application for an E-3 has to be done through an immigration lawyer, correct?

Thanks for your help, Joe.

Another question...

What happens if your employer gives you extra work that will result in a higher salary than that which is specified during the original E-3 application?

Please go to www.uscis.gov and read all about it.

I will tell you that a lawyer would be helpful but is not absolutely required.

Also, most E-3's get a visa abroad first by filing with the Consulate/Embassy. However, if one is in the U.S., in a lawful non-immigrant status an I-129 petition can be filed for a change of status.

An E-3 is a heck of a lot like an H-1B but only for Australians.

Hey Joe,

Yeah, I have read through the USCIS site, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to my last question.

Being that I will almost certainly be in a situation where I pick up additional work with the same employer, do you know if I need to make note of this when I file the initial paperwork? While I will know my starting salary, that is bound to increase with extra work/bonuses (such is this line of work). Does this matter and should it be covered in the application or is it not something I have to amend with immigration? The pay would be coming through the employer sponsoring the visa.

Hey Joe,

Yeah, I have read through the USCIS site, but I couldn't find anything pertaining to my last question.

Being that I will almost certainly be in a situation where I pick up additional work with the same employer, do you know if I need to make note of this when I file the initial paperwork? While I will know my starting salary, that is bound to increase with extra work/bonuses (such is this line of work). Does this matter and should it be covered in the application or is it not something I have to amend with immigration? The pay would be coming through the employer sponsoring the visa.

*bump*

Hey Joe,

Bump for part in bold. Does anyone know how this would work?

E3, the biggest show on Earth, is kicking off on Tuesday in sunny Los Angeles. At this minute, the world's largest publishers are building their multi-million-dollar stands, plugging in their shiny demo machines and awaiting the onslaught of ravenous games journalists, hungry for triple-A goodies.

But beyond the banks of LCD displays blasting out hotly-anticipated titles, what will be the real talking points this year? What do we really need to find out during this cacophonous display of video game hubris? Here are 10 vital questions …

In terms of bachelors degree proof and specialty occupation there are nmerous things to consider and many of it is very arbitrary. The specialty occupion in broad terms must be a professional postion that would require a bachelors degree as a minimum criteria for hire. So hopefully this extra E3 Visa Bachelors Degree and Specialty Occupation info may help you.
Chris