• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2018 and Newborn

Maureen64

Hi, i'm a DV2018 winner (2018AF00019***).But i'm currently pregnant and my birth is scheduled for october 2018. I have not yet submitted my DS 260 form. My questions are as follows :
1_ I want to submit my DS 260 form after my childbirth in order to be able to directly introduce the child's file. Would it be possible to add the child ?
2_ I think i can submit my DS 260 form probably in january after my childbirth. Would it be too late given my case number ?
3_ Will the child have the visa at the same time as me ?
4_ Could i leave the child to join me later in USA ? I plan to go first by myself because i'm financial incapable now to finance both of us.
5_ Is there any problems if i add my child to my case without moving with him at the same time ?
6_ In case my fiance and i are not yet married.( We plan to get married after my interview. Is it a good idea ?) would they need some kind of documentation to show that he has accepted me to go with the child ?

Regards,

I'm guessing you mean October 2017 for the birth, otherwise I'd be referring you to a doctor immediately. :)

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Your child HAS to enter the US before the expiry date on his visa in order to 'activate' it and become a permanent resident. Otherwise, he loses the green card. Once his visa is activated, there is flexibility in the first year for him to return home for a period but, any longer than a year outside the US, and he loses the green card and you will have to sponsor him all over again under a new visa category (with all the fees associated with that).
5. No problem, but it's a long and expensive road if you wish to sponsor him later.
6. Your fiance won't get a visa in the scenario you propose. You would have to sponsor him later (around a two year process). I would expect, if your fiance is not planning to travel with you, that you would need something stating that you have permission to remove the child from the country.

If you want my advice, marry your fiance now and then, when you submit your DS260, add him and your son to your case. All three of you get visas (if you're approved of course) and travel to the US to activate said visas. Your husband and son can then travel home again for up to a year, while you get yourself settled. They then join you within 12 months. You live happily ever after.

This is the cheapest and quickest route for you, in my opinion.

I'm guessing you mean October 2017 for the birth, otherwise I'd be referring you to a doctor immediately. :)

1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Your child HAS to enter the US before the expiry date on his visa in order to 'activate' it and become a permanent resident. Otherwise, he loses the green card. Once his visa is activated, there is flexibility in the first year for him to return home for a period but, any longer than a year outside the US, and he loses the green card and you will have to sponsor him all over again under a new visa category (with all the fees associated with that).
5. No problem, but it's a long and expensive road if you wish to sponsor him later.
6. Your fiance won't get a visa in the scenario you propose. You would have to sponsor him later (around a two year process). I would expect, if your fiance is not planning to travel with you, that you would need something stating that you have permission to remove the child from the country.

If you want my advice, marry your fiance now and then, when you submit your DS260, add him and your son to your case. All three of you get visas (if you're approved of course) and travel to the US to activate said visas. Your husband and son can then travel home again for up to a year, while you get yourself settled. They then join you within 12 months. You live happily ever after.

This is the cheapest and quickest route for you, in my opinion.

Thank Émile. Indeed i made a mistake on the date of delivery. It is october 2017.So it Will not do anything if i introduce the child in my case while i do not plan to travel with him at the same time ?

Last edited:
Thank Émile. Indeed i made a mistake on the date of delivery. It is october 2017.So it Will not do anything if i introduce the child in my case while i do not plan to travel with him at the same time ?

Yes you need to list the baby on your own DS-260 form. But if you do not intend to travel with the baby then you do not fill a separate form for the baby (you still list him/her on your form though).

Not getting a visa for the baby now means you'll have to sponsor the baby whenever you're ready to have him/her with you in the US. Not the way I would go about it if I was in your shoes as it is more costly in terms of the effort, the resources and the amount of time visa sponsorship takes.