• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2017 Egyptian winners meet here

Finally just submit the DS-260 forms now.felling satisfied.and all what i can do now is waiting until my wife give birth then ask to unlock the forms again.and may be i can prepare some documents which have no expiration date.thanks for every one help me on submitting these forms.:)

Hi all Egyptians 2017 : and congratulations !
I applied the E-DV First name - 2nd name - 3rd name , and the same in DS-260 , as my name in the passport till the forth name , hope any one can help
Thanks for Advance

I applied the E-DV First name - 2nd name - 3rd name , and the same in DS-260 , as my name in the passport till the forth name , hope any one can help
Thanks for Advance

Not sure what your exact question is, yet you were required to provide the following information as listed in your passport: a) Surnames, b) Given Names and c) Full Name in Native Alphabet:
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf
Rather straight forward really, no?

Thanks for Advance

Hi Osama,
DS-260 name should be as your passport and your birth certificate
if you entered your name differently on the E-DV entry. Enter it in the other names used in the DS-260

please read this:
http://britsimonsays.com/completing-the-ds260-for-dv-lottery-entrants/

Not sure what your exact question is, yet you were required to provide the following information as listed in your passport: a) Surnames, b) Given Names and c) Full Name in Native Alphabet:
https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/DS-260 Exemplar.pdf
Rather straight forward really, no?

Not for people from certain parts of the world where they don't have a "straightforward" first name-middle name-surname western-style naming convention. There have often been posts from Egypt on this matter. The embassy in Cairo seems used to this and it usually isn't an issue.

Not for people from certain parts of the world where they don't have a "straightforward" first name-middle name-surname western-style naming convention. There have often been posts from Egypt on this matter. The embassy in Cairo seems used to this and it usually isn't an issue.
Which is the reason these forms do not ask for first, middle and last name, but for Given Name(s) and Surname(s), plus Full Name in Native Alphabet - in all cases as listed in passport (preferably) or birth certificate. No idea why folks from Egypt should specifically have a problem with any of this. I am aware, of course, that there are parts of the world where folks just have one name etc. - not so in Egypt.

Which is the reason these forms do not ask for first, middle and last name, but for Given Name(s) and Surname(s), plus Full Name in Native Alphabet - in all cases as listed in passport (preferably) or birth certificate. No idea why folks from Egypt should specifically have a problem with any of this. I am aware, of course, that there are parts of the world where folks just have one name etc. - not so in Egypt.

Actually, I believe the eDV registration form isn't set out like you've noted here. I think the name section is broken into 3 boxes/section namely: Surname/Last Name/Family Name (not 100% certain which of these is precisely listed), Middle Name, and First Name. And each section gives the applicant the option of leaving any of them blank and to further tick the 'NFN, NLN, NMN' as applicable. The way that form is set up is the source of the confusion for applicants/selectees from Egypt.

Yes this name issue was a real headache for me. In the initial E-DV form they asked for Surname, First Name and Middle Name. In this case I had to enter my family name, my given name by which people know me and my father's name as a middle name. This is not the same in the DS-260 form. They ask for Surname and Given Name(s). In Egypt we actually have only one long form of the name which may contain 4-5 names, one for me, the last for the family name, and many names inbetween for father, grandfather and grand grandfather. Common sense made me put only my name in Given Name(s) field and only my family name in Surname field and in this case my father's name and grand father's name are not included in this field. I put them all in the full name field in native language since they ask for "Full Name". I think this Given Name(s) field is meant for some countries where newborns are given more than a name when they are born (e.g. Anne Marie, William Alexander). As I mentioned before this is not the case here in Egypt where we are given only one name. The other names belong to others in the family of the applicant (ancestors) so they are not really Given Names.

I believe the US Embassy in Cairo is used to such issue and this shouldn't make a problem for Egyptian applicants.

Yes this name issue was a real headache for me. In the initial E-DV form they asked for Surname, First Name and Middle Name. In this case I had to enter my family name, my given name by which people know me and my father's name as a middle name. This is not the same in the DS-260 form. They ask for Surname and Given Name(s). In Egypt we actually have only one long form of the name which may contain 4-5 names, one for me, the last for the family name, and many names inbetween for father, grandfather and grand grandfather. Common sense made me put only my name in Given Name(s) field and only my family name in Surname field and in this case my father's name and grand father's name are not included in this field. I put them all in the full name field in native language since they ask for "Full Name". I think this Given Name(s) field is meant for some countries where newborns are given more than a name when they are born (e.g. Anne Marie, William Alexander). As I mentioned before this is not the case here in Egypt where we are given only one name. The other names belong to others in the family of the applicant (ancestors) so they are not really Given Names.

I believe the US Embassy in Cairo is used to such issue and this shouldn't make a problem for Egyptian applicants.

Yes this is exactly the feedback we've seen before. I'd do what another poster suggested i.e. put all names in the "other names used" section and take it from there.

You seem to be making a simple matter rather complicated in my humble pov. DS-260 instructions require providing surnames and given names as listed in your passport. An Egyptian passport looks as follows (official example):

http://www.keesingjournalofdocuments.com/content/Cases_analysed/KJDI_2012_37_Ahmed.pdf

The full name of the gentleman in this example is ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED MABROUK - to be included in the DS-260 in the respective "Full Name" field. Machine readable data fields then identify MABROUK as his Surname and ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED as his first, second and third Given Names, respectively - to be included in the "Surnames" and Given Names" fields of the DS-260. In addition, you have the option to include any additional names you may have used in the past, further down in the form - make sure to take advantage of this if you have used any other names. If you do not hold a passport already, you may want to apply for one in preparation of DV processing - you will certainly need it down the road. If nothing else, it will "help clarify" your official surname(s) and given name(s) according to an official passport of your home country, which the US and any other country will recognize. Just a suggestion. Frankly, I worked with many Managers from Egypt applying for NIV's and IV's to the US and Europe, not one of them reported to have had any trouble related to this. Just my 2 cents worth, please feel free to complicate stuff as you wish. Good luck!

By far the most number of posts related to name issues I have seen in the DV forums have come from Egyptians and the issues are all exactly the same as described here. To you, euro2014, it may seem people are complicating things. To people who have never had reason before to reformat their name to fit a western convention, to people who may never have had a passport until they won DV and needed one, it may look different. Your posts are very often helpful, but I do find you seem to have little patience sometimes with people from countries where things just work very differently from what you are used to.

You seem to be making a simple matter rather complicated in my humble pov. DS-260 instructions require providing surnames and given names as listed in your passport. An Egyptian passport looks as follows (official example):

http://www.keesingjournalofdocuments.com/content/Cases_analysed/KJDI_2012_37_Ahmed.pdf

The full name of the gentleman in this example is ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED MABROUK - to be included in the DS-260 in the respective "Full Name" field. Machine readable data fields then identify MABROUK as his Surname and ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED as his first, second and third Given Names, respectively - to be included in the "Surnames" and Given Names" fields of the DS-260. In addition, you have the option to include any additional names you may have used in the past, further down in the form - make sure to take advantage of this if you have used any other names. If you do not hold a passport already, you may want to apply for one in preparation of DV processing - you will certainly need it down the road. If nothing else, it will "help clarify" your official surname(s) and given name(s) according to an official passport of your home country, which the US and any other country will recognize. Just a suggestion. Frankly, I worked with many Managers from Egypt applying for NIV's and IV's to the US and Europe, not one of them reported to have had any trouble related to this. Just my 2 cents worth, please feel free to complicate stuff as you wish. Good luck!
Excuse me but we are not complicating anything. The example you offered in the link clearly shows that gentleman having FULL NAME in his passport. His First name is ALAAELDIN. His last name is MABROUK. He should write his first name in the given name(s) field. His father's name ISMAIL is not a part of his given name, hence it shouldn't be written in the DS-260 Given Name(s) field. The same applies to his grandfather's name MOHAMED.

Thank You..

Hello all and many thanks for your Important advices :

in my case if the name for Ex: ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED MABROUK in the Passport
in the E-DV entry I filled the 1st 3 names only like : ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED
so the 1NL comes like :
Hello
MOHAMED , ALAAELDIN ISMAIL ( thy used the 3rd name as a family name ) so I filled the DS-260 like the 1NL exactly . but I filled the full name in my native language like the passport (4 names)

Thanks all again :)

Names are not big issue in the form.however there are mistakes in spelling or missing names listed already in your documents. just list all your names as shown as in passport don`t miss any name. you can list your name and your father name in section given names (they given an example on the right side of this section) and you can list your grandfather and your grand grand father in surnames section (also there is example below of this line) .just put all your names as shown in your passport. this is my opinion and the experts of the forum can give you the real advice.

Hello all and many thanks for your Important advices :

in my case if the name for Ex: ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED MABROUK in the Passport
in the E-DV entry I filled the 1st 3 names only like : ALAAELDIN ISMAIL MOHAMED
so the 1NL comes like :
Hello
MOHAMED , ALAAELDIN ISMAIL ( thy used the 3rd name as a family name ) so I filled the DS-260 like the 1NL exactly . but I filled the full name in my native language like the passport (4 names)

Thanks all again :)

the eDV has separate boxes for family name and other name. Did you already have your passport when you filled it in? Is Mabrouk supposed to be the family name?
The DS260 tells you to fill in the names as your PASSPORT has it. If that is different from the 1NL, you need to correct it. Your visa will not be issued if the name is different from your passport.

the eDV has separate boxes for family name and other name. Did you already have your passport when you filled it in? Is Mabrouk supposed to be the family name?
The DS260 tells you to fill in the names as your PASSPORT has it. If that is different from the 1NL, you need to correct it. Your visa will not be issued if the name is different from your passport.
My name is not different in Passport , There is an additional 4th name in my passport , In our passport system not divided to family name or other names just one line .. Full name , some ppl consider that 3rd name is family name , others consider that the 4th as family name . in my case I listed 3 names only but the same in eDV and DS-260 .

My name is not different in Passport , There is an additional 4th name in my passport , In our passport system not divided to family name or other names just one line .. Full name , some ppl consider that 3rd name is family name , others consider that the 4th as family name . in my case I listed 3 names only but the same in eDV and DS-260 .

Ok then...I don't understand what there is a problem about? The way you have done it, assuming the CO is ok with it despite the 4th name in your passport being left out (from past Egyptian reports it probably would be ok if you list the other name in the "other names" section on the DS forms) means that Mohamed will become your official family name in the US. That is the name your visa and green card will be issued in.

Ok then...I don't understand what there is a problem about? The way you have done it, assuming the CO is ok with it despite the 4th name in your passport being left out (from past Egyptian reports it probably would be ok if you list the other name in the "other names" section on the DS forms) means that Mohamed will become your official family name in the US. That is the name your visa and green card will be issued in.
Yes Susie you understand right , but the thing that I missed now , from my reading here and other forums , that I shuld e-mail KCC to open DS-260 to add my full name in this field "other names" I thinks the name in native lang,. it is not enough .
thanks for your support all .

Yes Susie you understand right , but the thing that I missed now , from my reading here and other forums , that I shuld e-mail KCC to open DS-260 to add my full name in this field "other names" I thinks the name in native lang,. it is not enough .
thanks for your support all .

Yes, it must be added to the "other names" section.