• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2016 - Dual citizenship

DARKzMM

Hi all,
Yesterday I registered to the 2016 diversity visa. I have 2 citizenships one Israeli and one Romanian.
I was born in Israel, My mother was born in Romania and my father in Israel. All the countries are eligible.
Someone told me that the chances to win are higher in Romania so I used Romania as the eligible country.
Can I be disqualified because of that? I was born in an eligible country and used another eligible country for the lottery.
Thanks!
M

I know, but in case you were born in a country which is not eligible you can select one of the parents' countries in case they are both eligible. and they are both eligible too.
So I wouldn't be disqualified if I was born in a country which is not eligible?

This may help you

"Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

If you claim alternate chargeability through either of the above, you must provide an explanation on the E-DV Entry Form, in question #6.

Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry. "

I know, but in case you were born in a country which is not eligible you can select one of the parents' countries in case they are both eligible. and they are both eligible too.
So I wouldn't be disqualified if I was born in a country which is not eligible?

You can't just choose a country because a parent was born there, there are very defined circumstances under which you can charge to a parent's country,as per blonde's post above. From what I can see you should have put Israel as your country of eligibility.

Silly question, does Israel fall under Europe or Asia? If by some chance it falls under Europe, you'll be ok if you get selected. If it falls under Asia, you will be judged to have potentially obtained an unfair advantage by using a country from the Europe region to enter, and in that case would be disqualified at interview.

This may help you

"Second, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither of your parents was born in or a resident of your country of birth at the time of your birth. People are not generally considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized, if they were only visiting, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a different country other than the one in which you were born.

If you claim alternate chargeability through either of the above, you must provide an explanation on the E-DV Entry Form, in question #6.

Listing an incorrect country of eligibility or chargeability (i.e., one to which you cannot establish a valid claim) may disqualify your entry. "
@SuicideBlonde. Ask the guys about your eligibility that you were married after your partner won the lottery. The truth is that no one can stop people to get married at any one time. But your dv status is a bit tricky. Please ask the forum guys. They may help. I know of someone in Ethiopia who had a pregnant wife during the dv interview. He was told to go back for interview after the birth of the child. They just did that and got the visa. About your case, you were not married when the guy entered the lottery. So he did not register you. Do you still qualify the the lottery? Ask the guys who know these things to help

@SuicideBlonde. Ask the guys about your eligibility that you were married after your partner won the lottery. The truth is that no one can stop people to get married at any one time. But your dv status is a bit tricky. Please ask the forum guys. They may help. I know of someone in Ethiopia who had a pregnant wife during the dv interview. He was told to go back for interview after the birth of the child. They just did that and got the visa. About your case, you were not married when the guy entered the lottery. So he did not register you. Do you still qualify the the lottery? Ask the guys who know these things to help

I didn't ask a question re: my eligibility.. I know I'm eligible and we have submitted our DS-260's. I have no apprehensions about getting approved :)

I didn't ask a question re: my eligibility.. I know I'm eligible and we have submitted our DS-260's. I have no apprehensions about getting approved :)
You got married after the your boyfriend won the lottery. Ask @Britsimon if you are really eligible. Signing the DS-260 is no guarantee of eligibility. I'm just trying to help.

You got married after the your boyfriend won the lottery. Ask @Britsimon if you are really eligible. Signing the DS-260 is no guarantee of eligibility. I'm just trying to help.

I'm not sure why you have brought this up randomly in this thread...Thanks for trying to help but I was not asking if I were eligible nor am I concerned about it. We are definitely eligible. At the worst we get asked to prove our marriage is legitimate...we've been together 6 years, I have no qualms about it.

You can't just choose a country because a parent was born there, there are very defined circumstances under which you can charge to a parent's country,as per blonde's post above. From what I can see you should have put Israel as your country of eligibility.

Silly question, does Israel fall under Europe or Asia? If by some chance it falls under Europe, you'll be ok if you get selected. If it falls under Asia, you will be judged to have potentially obtained an unfair advantage by using a country from the Europe region to enter, and in that case would be disqualified at interview.

Israel falls under Asia (which you can see here http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/diversity-visa/dv2014-selected-entrants.html )... so DarkzMMM it sounds like you will be disqualified this year :(
Enter correctly as Israel in DV2017!

I'm not sure why you have brought this up randomly in this thread...Thanks for trying to help but I was not asking if I were eligible nor am I concerned about it. We are definitely eligible. At the worst we get asked to prove our marriage is legitimate...we've been together 6 years, I have no qualms about it.
I rest my case

@johnnybanda, what you're doing is ridiculous! You can't hijack a thread started by person A and start trying to attempt to answer what you perceive to be person B's problem which by the way is completely unrelated to the issue person A has raised and person B has not even asked for the help you're offering.

Please try to follow the guidelines for posting or your posts will be deleted going forward.

Hi all,
Yesterday I registered to the 2016 diversity visa. I have 2 citizenships one Israeli and one Romanian.
I was born in Israel, My mother was born in Romania and my father in Israel. All the countries are eligible.
Someone told me that the chances to win are higher in Romania so I used Romania as the eligible country.
Can I be disqualified because of that? I was born in an eligible country and used another eligible country for the lottery.
Thanks!
M

If you get selected, you most likely will be disqualified at the time of your interview. Eligibility is based on country of birth, not citizenship. Israel falls under Asia and Romania is grouped under Europe, by choosing Romania you will be deemed to have gained an unfair advantage. I wish you had asked in this forum before proceeding with your eDV registration.

Hi all,
Thanks!
M

Agreed with Mom, your case would be disqualified if selected (disqualified at interview).

For chargeability to the parents, they have to be in the country of birth temporarily AND neither one can have been born in the country of your birth. So - in your case Romania and Israel are both ruled out.