• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2015 - Visa timing and name changes

Bluewater81

Hi,
I am a DV2015 winner and have a few questions regarding my particular circumstances. I am hoping people can share their experiences to provide me with some guidance. Sorry in advance for the long post!
Firstly, when I entered DV2015 I was married, and included my husband on the application. I was divorced in September this year, which will become official in October (which is when I will receive my divorce certificate). I submitted my DS-260 in mid-June; however I have not yet received a 2NL, despite having a low CN. I believe this may be because my ex-husband is still on the DS-260 application and his section has not been completed. Once I receive my divorce certificate I am planning on emailing it to the KCC to reopen my DS-260 and remove his name, so hopefully that should resolve that problem.
My second issue though is around timing. I usually travel to the US once a year at the end of July/early August for work, and would like to use this trip in 2015 to activate my visa (assuming my application is accepted). From what I have read, it appears you have 6 months from the date you obtain the visa to activate it, so I would need to obtain my visa no earlier than March 2015 in order for it to be still valid for my trip in July/August. I am thinking it might be best to wait until January until I ask the KCC to reopen my DS-260 to ensure I get an interview between March-July next year, but I don't want to miss out on the visa. Is there any risk with waiting this long to re-submit the DS-260?
My final question is regarding my name. I plan to change my name back to my maiden name as soon as possible, which also means changing the name on my passport. Since my winning entry is in my married name will this cause any issues? I would really prefer the visa/green card to be in my maiden name which is why I would like to organize my new passport prior to my visa appointment.
Hope someone can offer some help on the above questions. Thanks!!!
My CN for reference is 2015OC000002xx, and my interview will be in Hong Kong.

Getting divorced won't harm your case! But because you are current and you will perhaps receive an interview, before you get the official divorce decree, you will be put on AP until you get it.
You don't need to unlock your ds260 ( but you can always do).
Just send an email to kcc to update your application.
Concerning your name change, you can always ask them at the consulate to issue you the visa on your maiden name if you can manage to get a new passport with your new name of course...
Otherwise you will have to stay with your current name, until you become a citizen and you can than change it quickely, because I hear the name change on the GC is not a easy mission, and its a long costing process !
Good luck with everything

Did you select 'Divorced' as your new marital status when you submitted your DS form in June? If you did, then KCC considers your form duly submitted and the fact that your ex's name is still showing up is obviously not the reason you hadn't received your 2NL as at the time you posted your question. Even though your CN is current for Oct, you didn't get the 2NL because you submitted your form late. NLs for Nov started going out on Friday, can you confirm if you still haven't received anything to date?

You do not need to send a copy of your divorce decree to KCC in order for the to unlock your form if you need to make changes. You just email them and make your changes once the form is unlocked.

Once KCC sets your interview date, they have nothing to do with the case again. If you wish to delay your interview, you will need to contact the embassy and request for a new date. Different embassies have different policies regarding interview changes.

Regarding the name change, that's something you bring up at the time of the interview. With the divorce decree and the new passport, the IO will have no issues with you requesting for the GC to be issued in your maiden name.