• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2015 Successful Interview

zuroma999

Glad that's over! Had a successful interview in Montreal this morning. When I return home if anyone wants a more detailed description I can write one. But the highlights are (some of these only apply to the Montreal US consulate):

- Someone called me yesterday from the Consulate asking for my DS-260 Confirmation barcode number. Was't expecting that since no one on the boards had mentioned it. I had to hurry back to my hotel room and send them an email with it. Maybe keep a copy of the number with you in case you also get a call.

- Got there at 7:00AM for a 8:30AM interview. Was first in line, got in, wasn't on the first list they had printed, so a few of us had to go back outside to wait in the cold, windy Montreal morning! Then when they let us back in for the second round of list-checking, people barged in in front of me so I ended up #4. My advice would be to just come about 30 mins before your interview.

- The waiting is the longest part.

- In Montreal: when they tell you to go to window 14 (the cashier), make sure you go to 14B not 14A so you can skip to the front of the line. 14A is for people who have appointments for other things like passports, etc. When the cashier sees you in 14B holding the slip of paper to pay, she'll call you up.

- The interview: The CO was very friendly. She asked how old I was when I ended up in Canada. I said 6 months old and her demeanor changed, she laughed a bit got less serious, and said "oh, so you've been here for ages". She asked where I lived, I said Vancouver, and she joked a bit about the snow vs. rain that all west coast/east coast Canadians joke about. She then asked where I will be living in the US and if I have lived in any other countries.

She disappeared for a moment and headed into an office I could see in the background. I was worried for a bit since she was in there a good 10 minutes. But in the end I think she was just taking care of something else, because she came out with a stack of papers and gave them to someone sitting at a desk before returning to me and apologizing for the delay.

She then said everything's approved and gave me the "Welcome to the US" letter and my passport. I walked a few steps away before realizing hmm, shouldn't she be keeping my passport? I went and gave it back to her and she was very embarrassed and apologetic.

Glad this first part of the journey is all over! Now I'm going to go head out with some friends and get a giant piece of cheesecake!

Good luck to everyone waiting for the interviews. I hope it all works out for everyone.

Thanks guys! And thanks to Simon, Susie, the other regulars, and everyone who've answered my questions here. I couldn't imagine the process if I hadn't found these boards.

Hi guys..i have a question..
I got selecteed and my case number was 2015AF00080XXX then
i submitted my ds260 form on 19th May and on 20th may i got my verification..
case number was 2015AF80XXX...
1) the numbers are the same.. at the end..what i didnt understand is 80xxx is realy a huge number
2) what chances do i stand because i havent heard anything from kcc since then
please help..cause i am panicking i have all necessary documents with me..just waiting for the interview

1. Yes AF80xxx is high. It is a risky number, so as a backup plan make sure you enter DV2016.
2. Cases are processed in number order, and your won't be current until September, so don't expect to hear anything until July.

Thanks for the hard truth..:D
one more question,the CN given..is it the one we get after submitting the form or the one we get during results check??
The one during results check was promising.. AF00080xxx
Then i submitted the form on 19/MAY..almost the same day the they opened the visa application page..and an AF80xxx came.
Whats the difference between these two numbers???
plus i have seen a comment in a KENYAN bog one has been granted a visa on 1st oct.. the case number he indicated was AF000XXX
not the one without the 000.

Thanks for the hard truth..:D
one more question,the CN given..is it the one we get after submitting the form or the one we get during results check??
The one during results check was promising.. AF00080xxx
Then i submitted the form on 19/MAY..almost the same day the they opened the visa application page..and an AF80xxx came.
Whats the difference between these two numbers???
plus i have seen a comment in a KENYAN bog one has been granted a visa on 1st oct.. the case number he indicated was AF000XXX
not the one without the 000.

Your two numbers are the same, they just drop the leading zeros. The other case number you saw sounds like a mistake, or a number below 1000 but written incorrectly - it should have two more leading zeros.

Hi,I had interview on 2/10 and received exact phone call from consulate .They wanted confirmation number.I didn't have it and asked the consular to call me in 5 minutes.
He didn't call me again.
Did you gave the confirmation number on the interview?
I wrote them an email...
On the interview no one asked me this number....
I left my passport at the consulate.They told me that I will get my visa in 2 weeks.
Now I am worry...

Hi,I had interview on 2/10 and received exact phone call from consulate .They wanted confirmation number.I didn't have it and asked the consular to call me in 5 minutes.
He didn't call me again.
I wrote them an email...
I left my passport at the consulate.They told me that I will get my visa in 2 weeks.
Now I am worry...

That will be fine, just wait 2 weeks.

He didn't call me again.
I wrote them an email...
Now I am worry...
could u pls post ur interview experience on the page for reference for other dv applicants who are yet to go for the interview. .
congratulations. .

Glad that's over! Had a successful interview in Montreal this morning. When I return home if anyone wants a more detailed description I can write one. But the highlights are (some of these only apply to the Montreal US consulate):

- Someone called me yesterday from the Consulate asking for my DS-260 Confirmation barcode number. Was't expecting that since no one on the boards had mentioned it. I had to hurry back to my hotel room and send them an email with it. Maybe keep a copy of the number with you in case you also get a call.

- Got there at 7:00AM for a 8:30AM interview. Was first in line, got in, wasn't on the first list they had printed, so a few of us had to go back outside to wait in the cold, windy Montreal morning! Then when they let us back in for the second round of list-checking, people barged in in front of me so I ended up #4. My advice would be to just come about 30 mins before your interview.

- The waiting is the longest part.

- In Montreal: when they tell you to go to window 14 (the cashier), make sure you go to 14B not 14A so you can skip to the front of the line. 14A is for people who have appointments for other things like passports, etc. When the cashier sees you in 14B holding the slip of paper to pay, she'll call you up.

- The interview: The CO was very friendly. She asked how old I was when I ended up in Canada. I said 6 months old and her demeanor changed, she laughed a bit got less serious, and said "oh, so you've been here for ages". She asked where I lived, I said Vancouver, and she joked a bit about the snow vs. rain that all west coast/east coast Canadians joke about. She then asked where I will be living in the US and if I have lived in any other countries.

She disappeared for a moment and headed into an office I could see in the background. I was worried for a bit since she was in there a good 10 minutes. But in the end I think she was just taking care of something else, because she came out with a stack of papers and gave them to someone sitting at a desk before returning to me and apologizing for the delay.

She then said everything's approved and gave me the "Welcome to the US" letter and my passport. I walked a few steps away before realizing hmm, shouldn't she be keeping my passport? I went and gave it back to her and she was very embarrassed and apologetic.

Glad this first part of the journey is all over! Now I'm going to go head out with some friends and get a giant piece of cheesecake!

Good luck to everyone waiting for the interviews. I hope it all works out for everyone.

congrats., hope mine will be as easy as yours.
good luck

If you're serious and have gone Google-crazy researching everything DV and Montreal related, you should have already come across Saylin's amazing post with description/pics of the U.S. Montreal consulate: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/359761-montreal-consulate-picturesmaps/?p=5252525

It's a couple years old, but still mostly applicable, including where to line up and sit in the waiting room.
The only things different:
1- it's not necessary to get there too early for your interview. 30 mins before is ok.
2- they have reorganized the room slightly. The bathrooms, play area and "windows with people behind them" are in different positions from Saylin's pic.
3- the consulate might call you beforehand asking for your ds-260 Confirmation barcode#. Have that number with you or tell them your email address on the phone so they can email you and you can reply with your #.

The only other interesting thing: they seem to contract out security/list checkers/customer service to a local company. Everyone is super friendly, but French is a lot of their's first language. The woman on the phone had trouble understanding me, and I just have an ordinary, boring english-canadian accent.

Last edited:
If you're serious and have gone Google-crazy researching everything DV and Montreal related, you should have already come across Saylin's amazing post with description/pics of the U.S. Montreal consulate: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/359761-montreal-consulate-picturesmaps/?p=5252525

It's a couple years old, but still mostly applicable, including where to line up and sit in the waiting room.
The only things different:
1- it's not necessary to get there too early for your interview. 30 mins before is ok.
2- they have reorganized the room slightly. The bathrooms, play area and "windows with people behind them" are in different positions from Saylin's pic.
3- the consulate might call you beforehand asking for your ds-260 Confirmation barcode#. Have that number with you or tell them your email address on the phone so they can email you and you can reply with your #.

The only other interesting thing: they seem to contract out security/list checkers/customer service to a local company. Everyone is super friendly, but French is a lot of their's first language. The woman on the phone had trouble understanding me, and I just have an ordinary, boring english-canadian accent.

Lol, I think that post, complete with diagrams of how the chairs are arranged, fits into the category of "overthinking"!!!

Lol, I think that post, complete with diagrams of how the chairs are arranged, fits into the category of "overthinking"!!!

Yeah, definitely overkill. Yet, curiously, here I am fairly well-informed, no reason to fear the interview, but I was really nervous about the whole process (probably just like everyone who's gone through it all). Just reading that post once before the interview calmed me down, so it served a decent purpose.

Yeah, definitely overkill. Yet, curiously, here I am fairly well-informed, no reason to fear the interview, but I was really nervous about the whole process (probably just like everyone who's gone through it all). Just reading that post once before the interview calmed me down, so it served a decent purpose.

Your nervousness is normal - and yeah - whatever calms you down is a good thing....

congratulation zuroma,
anyway, during in us embassy, did you fill up any other form or signing something there,