• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2014 - Ethiopian selectees

re: appeals
A man I know in Addis went to the DV interview with his family (wife and 3 kids) and was denied a visa because his wife did not graduate grade 12.
Is it possible for him to appeal?

Here is his story:
I met with people who are working in US Embassy. They prepare to appeal our case in the embassy.
Today after a long deal they told me that after the re-applying our case they will giving us our visas.
The deal is this we need to pay them 140 thousand birr. first we put half of the money with the people we know,
then when we collect all the visas we will give the rest of the money. It sounds good and they are waiting for us to put up half of the money with a man who is my friend and also whom they know.

It sounds like a scam to me. What do others think?

A man I know in Addis went to the DV interview with his family (wife and 3 kids) and was denied a visa because his wife did not graduate grade 12.

Here is his story:
I met with people who are working in US Embassy. They prepare to appeal our case in the embassy.
Today after a long deal they told me that after the re-applying our case they will giving us our visas.
The deal is this we need to pay them 140 thousand birr. first we put half of the money with the people we know,
then when we collect all the visas we will give the rest of the money. It sounds good and they are waiting for us to put up half of the money with a man who is my friend and also whom they know.

Of course it's a scam. There is no appeal for DV denials. He should report theses people to the embassy and if they really do work there (which I doubt), then to the head of the embassy or USCIS.

By the way, was his wife the principal applicant? If she was and did not complete grade 12 then she is definitely ineligible and the case would not succeed, and this is clear in the instructions. If she is not the principal then that does not make sense as a reason for denial, but it does not change the fact that one can not appeal a DV denial.

Here is his story:

Of course it's a scam.

Firstly the reason for the denial is accurate (assuming the wife is the principal selectee) since she has not met the fundamental requirement of the DV process.

Second, no there is no appeal to that type of denial.

Third, and most obviously, they are asking for a large sum of money ($7000) to "fix" the situation. That is OBVIOUSLY a scam and your friend should not participate.

Of course it's a scam. There is no appeal for DV denials. He should report theses people to the embassy and if they really do work there (which I doubt), then to the head of the embassy or USCIS.

By the way, was his wife the principal applicant? If she was and did not complete grade 12 then she is definitely ineligible and the case would not succeed, and this is clear in the instructions. If she is not the principal then that does not make sense as a reason for denial, but it does not change the fact that one can not appeal a DV denial.

I don't know if the wife was the principle applicant. I will ask.
If a mistake was made, then there should be some process to correct it. I have heard the following:

Yes you can appeal but it doesn’t involve much. My younger sister was affected last year but hers was her date of birth, she made a mistake in the first letter sent to her but didn’t realise it. She was also denied at the first interview because of the error and was told she won’t be granted visa. But we asked to appeal but sincerely, we didn’t spend much, all we did was get a lawyer, explain all that happened to her and she wrote the embassy a letter appealing to them to temper justice with mercy and making them see reasons that its human to make error and she attached a copy of her birth certificate to the letter, so it was mailed and posted to them. After a week and 2 days, she was called on phone that she come to the embassy with her birth certificate and visa was issued to her.

Of course it's a scam.

Firstly the reason for the denial is accurate (assuming the wife is the principal selectee) since she has not met the fundamental requirement of the DV process.

Second, no there is no appeal to that type of denial.

Third, and most obviously, they are asking for a large sum of money ($7000) to "fix" the situation. That is OBVIOUSLY a scam and your friend should not participate.
Thanks for agreeing with me!

I don't know if the wife was the principle applicant. I will ask.
If a mistake was made, then there should be some process to correct it. I have heard the following:

Yes you can appeal but it doesn’t involve much. My younger sister was affected last year but hers was her date of birth, she made a mistake in the first letter sent to her but didn’t realise it. She was also denied at the first interview because of the error and was told she won’t be granted visa. But we asked to appeal but sincerely, we didn’t spend much, all we did was get a lawyer, explain all that happened to her and she wrote the embassy a letter appealing to them to temper justice with mercy and making them see reasons that its human to make error and she attached a copy of her birth certificate to the letter, so it was mailed and posted to them. After a week and 2 days, she was called on phone that she come to the embassy with her birth certificate and visa was issued to her.

I repeat: there is no appeal for DV denials. Many embassy websites state this categorically, and they all follow the same laws. If this story is true then I think what happened was it was not a denial, but a section 221(g) refusal - which is different - it is a refusal because of missing evidence, ie something that can be corrected on submission of what they need such as correct birth certificate. When you see people talking about AP, this can be part of why.

I repeat: there is no appeal for DV denials. Many embassy websites state this categorically, and they all follow the same laws. If this story is true then I think what happened was it was not a denial, but a section 221(g) refusal - which is different - it is a refusal because of missing evidence, ie something that can be corrected on submission of what they need such as correct birth certificate. When you see people talking about AP, this can be part of why.
That makes sense. I found that one can read about the reasons for denial here:
http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/denials.html

Dear 2014 winners of Ethiopia, Can u help answering 2015 winners questions. Can u say on sponsorship thing. some of zem say it is not important 4 dv winners. Should we have z forms filled by relatives , I mean is zat must. I am wondering if it is country specific?

My family members in Addis have heard another story. It is not about the DV, but I would appreciate any comments on whether it is true or not.
The story:
A family in their kebele went to the US some years ago and have started a business. They are willing to hire someone from the kebele for 200,000 Birr, and the person will then immigrate to the US and work for the company.

I don't think the immigration laws are that lax in the US, but I could be wrong.

My family members in Addis have heard another story. It is not about the DV, but I would appreciate any comments on whether it is true or not.
The story:
A family in their kebele went to the US some years ago and have started a business. They are willing to hire someone from the kebele for 200,000 Birr, and the person will then immigrate to the US and work for the company.

I don't think the immigration laws are that lax in the US, but I could be wrong.

That's about $10000? I believe that's well below what a full time minimum wage worker would earn. And no way that would qualify for a work permit visa. So basically they are looking at illegally employing someone. Obviously there could not be a legal immigration path associated with that then.

I didn't relay the story well. For 200,000 Birr they will give the person an offer of employment with which the person can get a work visa for the US.
The actual wage for the job is not given. I think there is no real job, and the person is supposed to get their own work when they get to the US.

I didn't relay the story well. For 200,000 Birr they will give the person an offer of employment with which the person can get a work visa for the US.
The actual wage for the job is not given. I think there is no real job, and the person is supposed to get their own work when they get to the US.
Well, then this is called visa fraud and will get partipants into very serious trouble...

If they have no job to offer the person, then why do they want to sponsor someone for an employment visa? This has FRAUD written all over it.

Britsimon may correct me, but a person cannot get a work visa on their own - a company has to sponsor it, and it is not a cheap or easy process. This is not fraud, it is a SCAM - the person will pay the money, get the "job offer" and then they discover at the embassy that they can't apply for the work visa on their own ....and have no recourse to anyone. Actually, I think it would be good if someone reported this attempted scheme to the US embassy.

Britsimon may correct me, but a person cannot get a work visa on their own - a company has to sponsor it, and it is not a cheap or easy process. This is not fraud, it is a SCAM - the person will pay the money, get the "job offer" and then they discover at the embassy that they can't apply for the work visa on their own ....and have no recourse to anyone. Actually, I think it would be good if someone reported this attempted scheme to the US embassy.

No correction from me. Employment based visas do indeed need a sponsoring company, a real job and so on. As Susie said it is an obvious scam.