• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2014 Custody for minor Children

We just came back from our interview ... I had all documents you can think of, even police clearance from when I was living abroad 30 years ago, but they asked for the custody paper of my son and they gave me this letter that they are unable to issue the visa because I don't comply with sec 221(g) We already informed the officer that His mother already has an appointment with the US embassy in another country for notarization of the custody document. This along with a lost passport that has a US visa when I attended University in the US, But they have the university transcript ... we are to mail these in but the passport as I mentioned is lost and it clearly states that partial submissions of the requested documents will not be accepted. I don't understand why this passport is the reason for their decision ..... is there something I can do or do I just accept the fact that a 30 yo out of date passport is going to take me out?

I'm sorry to hear this, but I don't understand exactly what has happened. Is the lack of custody document the reason for refusal, or is the missing passport the reason for refusal?

Actually here is the detailed account. There are 3 documents the consular asked us for. 1. The custody paper from the mother. 2. The 25 yo(correction) missing passport 3. Military exemption records. 1 and 3 can be provided, but the old passport is missing and hasn't been found. In the letter it states that partial submissions of the requested documents will not be accepted, therefore being unable to provide the passport is going to be the cause for our visa to not be accepted. I asked, what if I still can't find it, and the consular said "okay, we'll see what we can do".. is thing lingo for its not going to happen?
I am amazed that I was able to provide all 5 of my previous passports since 1981. one is lost ... but who keeps old documents that have expired this long? I really hope that isn't the basis for rejecting the visa

Last edited:
Ok I don't know... This is the first time I have heard of a missing expired passport being a problem. It sounds like if you get the other two missing documents they may make a call to allow it. Can you get it all organised before the end of this month?

Already on it. The custody is done tomorrow, the military exemption hopefully within a week, so I think it is possible. A year and a half of gathering documents, truly hope it isn't in vein.

Already on it. The custody is done tomorrow, the military exemption hopefully within a week, so I think it is possible. A year and a half of gathering documents, truly hope it isn't in vein.

Oh boy. Good luck, I hope you get them all in and get the visa.... Crossing fingers for you. Keep us posted.

Ok I don't know... This is the first time I have heard of a missing expired passport being a problem. It sounds like if you get the other two missing documents they may make a call to allow it. Can you get it all organised before the end of this month?

They sometimes ask about expired passport it they can't trace applicant's departures within CBP records (if one visited States in the past),
for that matter older passports - pre 2000 - might simply holds stamps indicating departure dates. I don't think that was such case here, though.

They sometimes ask about expired passport it they can't trace applicant's departures within CBP records (if one visited States in the past),
for that matter older passports - pre 2000 - might simply holds stamps indicating departure dates. I don't think that was such case here, though.

I can go check but I don't think any of my passports have ever been stamped with departure dates from the US, just entry dates?

Fair point, in US there is no departure stamp just on arrival, my statement is based on anecdotal evidence anyway - reading from another forum,
although as far as I can tell that passport proved thats someone left the country - possibly based on the re-entry to another one.

Anyway this is strange, who would think that one need to preserve expired passport for many years going forward ...

Hi
Other than the American Embassy where else can I get Custody paper notarized?

Last edited:
Where is normal in your country to do this? In my country for example a police station can do it.
Hi Susie,
His mother is in Kuwait so I am not sure where. But the cool thing is that we contacted the US embassy there by email and explained our case and urgency, they were kind enough to arrange a follow up appointment early enough. I have to say that I am grateful for their understanding and helpfulness .. so after all we can still make it before end of the month increasing our chances of possibly getting our Visa!

Where is normal in your country to do this? In my country for example a police station can do it.
Better if you can appostilate. I don't know if your country is signatory to The Hague convention but if so an apostille prevents other countries from questioning your docs

Better if you can appostilate. I don't know if your country is signatory to The Hague convention but if so an apostille prevents other countries from questioning your docs
I like the concept, and I should actually Apostille the Military records they required especially after no certified translator agreed to translate any document that is related to Military. But I am trying to get on the good side of the CO and hope they can overlook my lost passport.

I like the concept, and I should actually Apostille the Military records they required especially after no certified translator agreed to translate any document that is related to Military. But I am trying to get on the good side of the CO and hope they can overlook my lost passport.

Hi!
can I please ask you: in which embassy you had your interview??

Thanks and wish you the best of luck in getting the visa! :)

Ok so I got all the documents organized and ready... except for the lost passport, so I added a declaration that I didn't violate or overstay the US Visa in that passport... and sent it by post to the Embassy.
I am just worried by the statement 'Partial submissions of the requested documents will not be accepted' in the explanation letter.
Still hopeful and looking forward to a quick reply ...

The wait is like being put through the test. Since May 1 last year. and it works up to the appointment date for the final decision. But more documents were requested. Giving us both hope and doubts. So we sent everything in a week and now waited another. I worried if I leave the house I'll miss the mail... :-b Its a life changing decision..
Today I got this email:
This case is currently undergoing administrative processing pending a decision. No additional documentation is required at this time. There is no way to determine how long processing will take. The Embassy will be back in contact at such time the processing is complete or additional documentation is required.
That just leaves it open until the end of the year, or until no more DV2014 visas!o_O
I remember the officer mentioned 1 week for screening the mail and 2 weeks till other cases finish 1st. so about a month?! I thought 'huh it wont come to that..' but it seems like so... again it gives hope the lost passport wasn't the deal breaker, and doubt why they didn't approve yet?
If the documents are all in order is there any other reasons why a DV case would be denied? How long would it usually take for administrative processing?

The wait is like being put through the test. Since May 1 last year. and it works up to the appointment date for the final decision. But more documents were requested. Giving us both hope and doubts. So we sent everything in a week and now waited another. I worried if I leave the house I'll miss the mail... :-b Its a life changing decision..
Today I got this email:
This case is currently undergoing administrative processing pending a decision. No additional documentation is required at this time. There is no way to determine how long processing will take. The Embassy will be back in contact at such time the processing is complete or additional documentation is required.
That just leaves it open until the end of the year, or until no more DV2014 visas!o_O
I remember the officer mentioned 1 week for screening the mail and 2 weeks till other cases finish 1st. so about a month?! I thought 'huh it wont come to that..' but it seems like so... again it gives hope the lost passport wasn't the deal breaker, and doubt why they didn't approve yet?
If the documents are all in order is there any other reasons why a DV case would be denied? How long would it usually take for administrative processing?

Oh poor you, this must be so frustrating. At this point it seems to me like it is just waiting for them to get through the formalities and then hoping there is a still a visa number available. In the past few years that would not have been a problem but it might be this year. Fingers crossed you get through it quicker than they have indicated.