• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2007: CP vs AOS & Q about DS-230 Part I

dv2007us

Registered Users (C)
I have a few questions regarding the DV 2007. I was notified end of May that I was selected for DV 2007 (for Asia, Case # is 8xxx). I sent the DSP-122 and DS-230 (I and II) to KCC recently so that they received it about 19 days from the date of the notification letter. I am currently in the US so I was deciding between CP vs AOS but after speaking to a lawyer in California, I decided to go for CP since it is technically faster especially if you have high case numbers.

I would like to know if anyone currently in the US, has done CP for last year's lottery and what their experience was like. I think it would have been suicide in my case to go for AOS especially if my case became active next summer. Any ideas when this case will be active?

Does the KCC send a confirmation letter - if so, after how long will I receive it? So from the time that I get this confirmation letter to the time when my case becomes current, is there any communication that takes place between KCC and I?

Finally in Q11 on the DS-230 form, it asked for the address where one would like the green card to be mailed to. I wrote my current address but I forgot to "include a name" in that response. Do you think this is a problem as they specifically ask for us to include a name? I mean the address is the same as the "current address" they sent the letter to me at, so it should be obvious that it is to be addressed to me but perhaps I should contact them? Finally, the present address was different since I put my home address versus putting my office address which I've been using as my official "current" address.

How long from when the KCC sends me the 2nd package to the interview? And can I do the medical exam BEFORE my interview? Are there any issues with validity (as in if I do the medical sometime this summer and my number becomes active next year then what)? Finally, are there any validity issues with police certificates?

As for the evidence of support, if I'm currently employed here by a university (but I'm on an F1), I don't need to show any evidence of support per se other than my letter of employment right?

Thanks a lot. This forum has been very helpful.

Hi DV2007US,

My rank # is also AS8XXX and I received the NL on June 3. I have decided to do CP as well since that is faster. Let's keep us updated here regarding responses from KCC. Good luck to you!

Hi Kanta:

Thanks. Good luck to you too! Did you send the forms to the KCC and did you ask them how long it would take to get the confirmation letter? Or did you call them?

Also, I assume you are already in the US but still decided to do CP.

dv2007us said:
Hi Kanta:

Thanks. Good luck to you too! Did you send the forms to the KCC and did you ask them how long it would take to get the confirmation letter? Or did you call them?

Also, I assume you are already in the US but still decided to do CP.

Yes, I am already in U.S. I haven't sent the forms yet even though I was supposed to do so today :p . I have filled out everything except DS-230(I) #25. I am trying to find out what exactly they are looking for there. Did you put all the places you have lived in U.S. in that section?

I called KCC and the lady said, most probably they are not going to contact us until October 1, 2006 for DV2007. However, you could call them to find out if they have received your package or not.

I think they are going to send out a confirmation letter though (from what I read in this forum). In any case, I'll call KCC.

As for Q25, I think it would be reasonable to write down cities in the US where you've resided for a significant period of time only. Typically, this would mean at least 6 months. If you've moved a lot and have been in the US for a long time, then perhaps you should pick the top 5 cities or so where you've spent the most amount of time (you'd obviously have to attach an additional sheet). However, if you've only spent significant time in a couple of cities, just write the main ones. In my case, it was simple since although I've travelled a lot in the US, my primary stay has been at one location.

Hope this helps.

dv2007us said:
I think they are going to send out a confirmation letter though (from what I read in this forum). In any case, I'll call KCC.

As for Q25, I think it would be reasonable to write down cities in the US where you've resided for a significant period of time only. Typically, this would mean at least 6 months. If you've moved a lot and have been in the US for a long time, then perhaps you should pick the top 5 cities or so where you've spent the most amount of time (you'd obviously have to attach an additional sheet). However, if you've only spent significant time in a couple of cities, just write the main ones. In my case, it was simple since although I've travelled a lot in the US, my primary stay has been at one location.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, dv2007us. I guess I have to attach another sheet. I was confused since we are already mentioning all the cities we had resided since age 16 in #20.

Please let me know if you receive any confirmation from KCC.

I called KCC. The representative told me that they don't send out confirmation letters. She said that it takes about a month for their system to register the receipt of documents so I should call back.

According to her, the next communication from KCC would be when the interview is scheduled.

By the way, Q20 is for ALL locations you've lived in since the age of 16 (if you've been born in a particular country and then lived there since birth till the age of 16 for example, then you should write down the date of birth to whenever you last lived there for that location rather than the date from when you turned 16 - I asked KCC this). Q25 is ONLY if you have been in the US and that's why that is a separate question and you only mention the cities in the US in Q25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update, dv2007us. I was told the same by a KCC representative that they would contact us only when the interview date is set. I sent my forms today. Let's hope for the best.

dv2007us said:
I called KCC. The representative told me that they don't send out confirmation letters. She said that it takes about a month for their system to register the receipt of documents so I should call back.

According to her, the next communication from KCC would be when the interview is scheduled.

By the way, Q20 is for ALL locations you've lived in since the age of 16 (if you've been born in a particular country and then lived there since birth till the age of 16 for example, then you should write down the date of birth to whenever you last lived there for that location rather than the date from when you turned 16 - I asked KCC this). Q25 is ONLY if you have been in the US and that's why that is a separate question and you only mention the cities in the US in Q25.