• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV winner how get ssn quiqly as possible

fakloun

Registered Users (C)
Hello members
I'm a winner of 2013 DV lottery with succes interview
And i will travel next month to Miami.
I ask about how can i get ssn and work permit quiqly as possible after beeing in US?

To get SSN number as quickly as possible you don't need to wait for the physical Green Card, absolutely not, just use the I-551 stamp in the passport. Apply for SSN card in the SSA office. In the SSA Office fill out the form and give the address you want you SSN card to be sent.
You can visit the SSA office as soon as you arrive in Miami. You can skip the visit to the SSA office, but if you decide to wait it can take much more time for the SSN card to arrive, which means doing nothing, walking around, enjoying the sunny weather...
As for the GC - you'll just have to wait !!

I have two more questions, if I decide to skip visiting SSA office, will the SSN mail to my address same as the GC? Also, if I don't have SSN, can I use the I-551 stamp and passport applying driver licence? Thanks.

To get SSN number as quickly as possible you don't need to wait for the physical Green Card, absolutely not, just use the I-551 stamp in the passport. Apply for SSN card in the SSA office. In the SSA Office fill out the form and give the address you want you SSN card to be sent.
You can visit the SSA office as soon as you arrive in Miami. You can skip the visit to the SSA office, but if you decide to wait it can take much more time for the SSN card to arrive, which means doing nothing, walking around, enjoying the sunny weather...
As for the GC - you'll just have to wait !!

thank you

Yes it will arrive to the address you provide, it is all based on addresses that you provide.
At the POE (first US airport) you give the address for GC (if it is different from the one given in the embassy, CO) and in SSA Office you give an address where you want the SSN card to arrive. The address given in SSA office does not have to be the same as the one for GC. Take the passport (and a copy of first page and stamp) and bring to SSA office.
The level of training in each SSA will determine how efficiently they handle the request for SSN card.
Use 1-155 stamp to apply for driver's license.
If you have international driver's license from home country you can use it temporarily in US.
Furthermore, car insurance reduction is calculated on the basis of driver's license, of "a driving experience". Based on your driver's license if you pass the driving tests it is possible to obtain two month temporary driver's license.

Yes it will arrive to the address you provide, it is all based on addresses that you provide.
At the POE (first US airport) you give the address for GC (if it is different from the one given in the embassy, CO) and in SSA Office you give an address where you want the SSN card to arrive. The address given in SSA office does not have to be the same as the one for GC. Take the passport (and a copy of first page and stamp) and bring to SSA office.
The level of training in each SSA will determine how efficiently they handle the request for SSN card.
Use 1-155 stamp to apply for driver's license.
If you have international driver's license from home country you can use it temporarily in US.
Furthermore, car insurance reduction is calculated on the basis of driver's license, of "a driving experience". Based on your driver's license if you pass the driving tests it is possible to obtain two month temporary driver's license.

Hi ZukotheCat,
I am little confuse. If I provided the shipping address for the SSN at POE, do I still need to go to SSA Office after that? Before I receive the SSN, can I apply for driver licence in CA? According to DMV in CA, the applicants must provide SSN. Thanks.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffdl08.htm

At the POE you do need to provide anything new if you happy with the address that you already provided in CO (embassy). The address that you gave in CO will be stapled to the yellow envelope that is going to be handed over to the officer at the POE.

You cannot apply for drivers license if you don't have your SSN.

The thing with SSA office is: you can make 10 visits to the SSA office in one day, but if you do not make sure there is record (paperwork) related to your visit, it is the same as if you never visited the SSA office. That means you have to make sure you fill up the application form in SSA office, ask whether you can receive confirmation (if you have confirmation you can use it the same way as it is SSN card).
It is a common thing that Department of Homeland Security does not ship your request to the Social Security Department and sometimes the immigration/customs officer even informs the immigrant that the file will not be sent over to SSD.

If you decide to wait for the SSN card to arrive automatically (without SSA)that means you will wait for at least 3 weeks, even longer even, even for indefinite and eventually you will end up in SSA office anyway

The information on that yahoo link is not quite accurate, plus it's about 3 years old anyway.

I live in California, and I know for a fact that there are instances where a DL can and will be issued without a SSN. Here's a direct link to the CA DMV's site that specifically addresses the issue of SSN and DL:

To the OP: if you need to apply for a DL immediately, visit the nearest SSA with your passport which should have the I-551 stamp on it and apply for the SSN. You will most likely already be in the system, in which case you can ask them to tell you your SSN (while you wait to receive the physical card in the mail). Write down the number you're provided with and use this number to fill out your DL application form at the DMV office. You do not need to provide a physical copy of the SSN card (unless you're applying for a Commercial DL).

Yes, definitely, the Department for Motor Vehicles sometimes applies hard rules on the driver who does not have a physical SSN card (signed by the driver).
Try without SSN or try using the SSN number that you obtain from SSA

The information on that yahoo link is not quite accurate, plus it's about 3 years old anyway.

I live in California, and I know for a fact that there are instances where a DL can and will be issued without a SSN. Here's a direct link to the CA DMV's site that specifically addresses the issue of SSN and DL:

To the OP: if you need to apply for a DL immediately, visit the nearest SSA with your passport which should have the I-551 stamp on it and apply for the SSN. You will most likely already be in the system, in which case you can ask them to tell you your SSN (while you wait to receive the physical card in the mail). Write down the number you're provided with and use this number to fill out your DL application form at the DMV office. You do not need to provide a physical copy of the SSN card (unless you're applying for a Commercial DL).

Thank you, smom.