• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV vs. Immediate Relative Sponsorship

FSW2015

Hello folks!

So good to be back on this forum! Glad to see that everyone's favorite mods and active members are still out and about!

Today, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that my mom won in DV-2017 with a CN: AS6XXX. It's true that we don't know anything about the total number of winners yet, or the density of CNs (and sadly, we won't AFAIK) but it seems like an OK number.

At the same time, my mom has the option to be sponsored by my US Citizen brother who just turned 21 a couple of months ago. Now my question is: Should she go with the DV win or have my brother sponsor her?

AFAIK, DV would cost less, but would take longer (?), whereas IR is more costly but faster? There is also the fact that going with the family sponsorship would give a chance to another DV winner with a higher CN who might need it.
Any other pros/cons we need to think about?

As for me, I was not lucky enough to win this year, but I already have my eyes set on DV-2018 so I want to ask: is there any chance of it being canceled? I keep hearing people saying that the DV program won't last for long.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hello folks!

So good to be back on this forum! Glad to see that everyone's favorite mods and active members are still out and about!

Today, we were pleasantly surprised to find out that my mom won in DV-2017 with a CN: AS6XXX. It's true that we don't know anything about the total number of winners yet, or the density of CNs (and sadly, we won't AFAIK) but it seems like an OK number.

At the same time, my mom has the option to be sponsored by my US Citizen brother who just turned 21 a couple of months ago. Now my question is: Should she go with the DV win or have my brother sponsor her?

AFAIK, DV would cost less, but would take longer (?), whereas IR is more costly but faster? There is also the fact that going with the family sponsorship would give a chance to another DV winner with a higher CN who might need it.
Any other pros/cons we need to think about?

As for me, I was not lucky enough to win this year, but I already have my eyes set on DV-2018 so I want to ask: is there any chance of it being canceled? I keep hearing people saying that the DV program won't last for long.

Thanks in advance! :)

Welcome back. That is a good (safe) number. It's almost impossible to exhaust the quota at that number. So - as long as she meets the requirements she is in.

You have the right ideas so far. The paperwork for DV is easier, but the family based route is "DIY-able" if you are detail oriented about filling in forms. One other downside of the family based route will be the financial responsibility to meet the public charge requirement will be real (I-864 versus I-134).

The lottery is like a big ship. To stop it takes a long time so we already know DV-2018 will go ahead and most likely DV-2019 as well...

I'm also not so sure about how fast IR really is. A friend of mine's mom has just received notification of an interview (for the same route, via citizen child) in June, and they started the process around a year ago.

Afaik there is nothing to stop her applying for both routes (a number of people, myself included, have won DV with other petitions in progress) and just going for whichever one ends up giving her a sooner interview.

Your mom is really better off going with the DV selection. She should keep the possibility of being sponsored by your brother as an option B. DV is cheaper, the financial requirements are less stringent.

Sorry you weren't selected yourself.

Thank you all so much.
I'll lay out the facts for her and let her choose, though it seems like DV is the best way to go..