• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Photo (tiny but possibly important detail)

As I expect the DV-2019 to (hopefully) be announced soon I decided to take a photo for the coming application. So far I've always went to a local photo studio to do so, but as I can read on forums that a lot of people take photo with their phones I decided to take one with my phone as well.

The thing that bothers me is that photo specs say that if new digital image is taken it must be:
*jpg
*max 240 kb in size
*min 600x600 pixels
*24 bits per pixel
*(it doesn't say anything about dpi here)

But then it says if photographic print is scanned it must be:
*scanned at a resolution of at least 300 dots per inch (dpi)
*everything else is same as above

My photo (taken with my phone) came out very nice. But when I right click and check photo details it says that:
*horizontal resolution is 72dpi and
*vertical resolution is 72dpi

Is that valid? Since my photo is not scanned but newly taken digital image?

If they are using a software to check if the submitted photos are meeting their requirements how can a software know if photo is a new digital image or a scanned image? And if the photo details say that a photo is 72dpi then there might be a possibility for disqualification, right?

Well, just for the case I will go again to a photo studio to take proper photo just to be 100% sure that everything is ok. But if someone was selected and has a very same photo taken with a phone that was used at the application it would be good to know what those photo details say about dpi's. Thanks.

Oh, wow! I just tried it and when I downloaded the same photo it now says 300dpi (it was 72dpi). Great. Thanks a lot! Appreciate your help.

The photo tool that Brit provided is the best. I will be taking my picture as well next week and be prepared. I wish you the best of luck for DV2019