• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery - package that should be received via post after GC activation?

abumiqdad

Hi all.

A question here : when someone entered the USA the first time to activate the GC, what are the stuff that should have been received in the GC letter (along with the GC)?

Would SSN be automatically assigned to the person as well? If yes, the SSN card/paper would also be included int he package?

The GC and the SSN are mailed separately. The SSN is supposed to be automatically sent assuming one answered yes on the DS form to the question asking about the SSN. It however doesn't get sent sometimes and this will warrant a visit to the SSA office.

so in this case, a unique SSN SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED to the DV Applicant AND the derivatives am i right in the assumption?

so in this case, a unique SSN SHOULD HAVE BEEN ASSIGNED to the DV Applicant AND the derivatives am i right in the assumption?

Each person gets assigned a unique set of numbers aka SSN regardless of who is the main DV selectee or the derivative. Once you all activate, there's no more such thing as selectee or derivative.

hurm.. i wonder what happened to my kid's (derivative) package then. While mine is surely lost (as i got a tracking number from USCIS and USPS said it had been delivered but now is MIA - and this is from the online portal), i cannot access my kid's application. So i am not sure if his package did get sent.

I assumed he has been assigned a SSN automatically along with his GC. But when i email FBU.Manila@ssa.gov , after giving the details (birthdate, last name, first name, birth place), i was told by them that my kid has not been assigned a SSN.

Could it be that my kid really did not get his SSN assigned considering that he is just a derivative?

Currently i cannot do anything i suppose, and i will have to settle this when i get back in the USA (along with re-applying all the missing GC, and re-entry permit)

This is the email i got (through my US Citizen wife - who cannot pass her citizenship automatically due to the lack of her spending time in the USA after the age of 14)

"Upon checking, no Social Security Number (SSN) is assigned yet to your child.

To submit an application, please contact the American Citizen Services Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia for an appointment. There is no need for you to bring your child when you submit the application.

You will need to prepare and submit the following documents:
  1. Completed and Signed Form SS-5-FS located at http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5fs.html
  2. Original Copy of your child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  3. Original Copy of your child’s Valid/Unexpired U.S. Passport
  4. Original Copy of your Valid/Unexpired U.S. Passport with Signature

Note: The Consular Staff will forward the certified copies of the documents to our office for processing. Once the application has been processed by our office, the Social Security Card will be printed from our office in the U.S. and is sent by regular mail to the address you have provided in the application form. The average mailing time is within 90 days.

Please print a copy of this e-mail and present to the Consular Staff for their guidance/reference."

hurm.. i wonder what happened to my kid's (derivative) package then. While mine is surely lost (as i got a tracking number from USCIS and USPS said it had been delivered but now is MIA - and this is from the online portal), i cannot access my kid's application. So i am not sure if his package did get sent.

I assumed he has been assigned a SSN automatically along with his GC. But when i email FBU.Manila@ssa.gov , after giving the details (birthdate, last name, first name, birth place), i was told by them that my kid has not been assigned a SSN.

Could it be that my kid really did not get his SSN assigned considering that he is just a derivative?

Currently i cannot do anything i suppose, and i will have to settle this when i get back in the USA (along with re-applying all the missing GC, and re-entry permit)

Did your child enter the US to activate his LPR status when you did yours? And did you make the $220 payment for him also?

This is the email i got (through my US Citizen wife - who cannot pass her citizenship automatically due to the lack of her spending time in the USA after the age of 14)

Your wife is a USC? Has she been back to US since having your second child? The child is less than 2 years, correct?

Did your child enter the US to activate his LPR status when you did yours? And did you make the $220 payment for him also?

yes, we came together at the airport. i paid mine with his the same time. Here is the email that i get after paying.

ELISdonotreply@uscis.dhs.gov
9/22/16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Your payment has been submitted to Pay.gov and the details are below. If you have questions about this notification or need technical support, please contact us online at https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/contactus and reference the receipt number(s) shown below.

Application Name: USCIS Immigrant Fee
Pay.Gov Tracking ID: XXXXXXX
Agency Tracking ID: XXXXXXX
Transaction Type: Credit Card
Transaction Amount: $330.00
Payment Date: Sep 21, 2016

Transaction Date: Sep 21, 2016 07:09:07 PM

Your payment was applied to the following case(s):
IOE011XXXXX
IOE025XXXXX

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Your wife is a USC? Has she been back to US since having your second child? The child is less than 2 years, correct?

1. She has not entered the USA after leaving the USA (when she was 2-3 years old i think).
2. The child is less than 2 years BUT he was born BEFORE i got my DV (born after i submitted my DS 260 just before the interview. The Consular has been made aware of his birth).

As i have explained in my previous threads, i was faced with the option to either add him and risk of going past Sept cutoff date OR proceed with my DV application but he is excluded.

I tried applying tourist visa for him but got denied at the local consular. So the only route left is I 130 i believe (which is what i am doing now).

so when i activated my GC Nov 2016, my wife had to stay behind nursing my then 9 months old baby.

So me and my eldest went to NY just the 2 of us for week++.

My 2nd child (1 year ++ now) already has a bad record - being denied US Visa - which i know will pop up next time i apply for a different kind of visa for him.

yes, we came together at the airport. i paid mine with his the same time. Here is the email that i get after paying.

ELISdonotreply@uscis.dhs.gov
9/22/16
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to me
cleardot.gif

Your payment has been submitted to Pay.gov and the details are below. If you have questions about this notification or need technical support, please contact us online at https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/contactus and reference the receipt number(s) shown below.

Application Name: USCIS Immigrant Fee
Pay.Gov Tracking ID: XXXXXXX
Agency Tracking ID: XXXXXXX
Transaction Type: Credit Card
Transaction Amount: $330.00
Payment Date: Sep 21, 2016

Transaction Date: Sep 21, 2016 07:09:07 PM

Your payment was applied to the following case(s):
IOE011XXXXX
IOE025XXXXX

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Okay. Since you never got any tracking number for his GC, you should contact USCIS in this case and follow up on it. It's different from yours which is assumed delivered and lost since you got the tracking number/delivery confirmation.

You will need to visit the SSA office to apply for your child's SSN - since your child is a minor, I'm not sure if he's required to be there in person. You can call 1-800-772-1213 to clarify this. If they confirm he doesn't need to attend in person, be sure to get information on what documents you'll need to bring with you to enable them verify his identity.

1. She has not entered the USA after leaving the USA (when she was 2-3 years old i think).
2. The child is less than 2 years BUT he was born BEFORE i got my DV (born after i submitted my DS 260 just before the interview. The Consular has been made aware of his birth).

As i have explained in my previous threads, i was faced with the option to either add him and risk of going past Sept cutoff date OR proceed with my DV application but he is excluded.

I tried applying tourist visa for him but got denied at the local consular. So the only route left is I 130 i believe (which is what i am doing now).

As for your second child, since your wife is already a USC who hasn't returned to the US since having him and he's under two, I'm guessing if she travels back with him before he turns two, they will process him as a LPR at the POE.

Typically when a LPR, or a USC (who has not qualified to automatically pass on citizenship) have babies abroad, the babies are processed as LPR at the POE when the parent returns with them - as long as it is their first entry since giving birth and the baby is under 2 years.

I'm just not 100% certain in your wife's case since she's been gone for so long. I recommend you have a phone consultation with an experienced US based immigration attorney to discuss your options in this case.

The NIV denial is immaterial to an immigration based petition.

As for your second child, since your wife is already a USC who hasn't returned to the US since having him and he's under two, I'm guessing if she travels back with him before he turns two, they will process him as a LPR at the POE.

Typically when a LPR, or a USC (who has not qualified to automatically pass on citizenship) have babies abroad, the babies are processed as LPR at the POE when the parent returns with them - as long as it is their first entry since giving birth and the baby is under 2 years.

I am certain you are right on child of LPR bit, but i have not found any links/rules from USCIS/State Dept that says it is applicable to USC who cannot pass the citizenship automatically as well (and the outcome would be slightly different too - LPR child will be treated as LPR, but USC's child would be citizen after being granted LPR status while staying with the USC parent).

Also, my baby had been denied tourist visa - and officer at the consular said nothing about my wife can travel with her baby into the USA and be granted I 551 visa on arrival when his visitors visa got denied (waste of my money too) . I would be so pissed off if that is actually the right course that my family should have taken as we had to change our travel plan last year.

I've been trying to ask the US consular regarding this matter but none pointed to what you have said about the LPR at PoE (and the Consular would be the entity to produce a letter for to be taken to the airport as well as PoE right?)

Last edited:
Okay. Since you never got any tracking number for his GC, you should contact USCIS in this case and follow up on it. It's different from yours which is assumed delivered and lost since you got the tracking number/delivery confirmation.

You will need to visit the SSA office to apply for your child's SSN - since your child is a minor, I'm not sure if he's required to be there in person. You can call 1-800-772-1213 to clarify this. If they confirm he doesn't need to attend in person, be sure to get information on what documents you'll need to bring with you to enable them verify his identity.

this is the bit that i am struggling with - somehow i cannot add my child onto my case - also i cannot queried it. i am not sure if i entered it incorrectly.

"
The status of this service request is:

The receipt number you have provided in your inquiry does not relate to you. The Privacy Act, 5 USC Sec. 552a, prohibits release of information to someone other than the affected party. The affected party is typically the petitioner, applicant or attorney of record. Disclosures of processing times and general procedures relating to certain form types do not fall under the Privacy Act. However, information given to someone other than the affected party, such as the beneficiary, which relates to the specific processing or adjudication of a particular petition or application is prohibited by the Privacy Act and Service policy.

"

but it is not a pressing issue, i plan to resolve this when i go to the USA soon. I am just curious why SSA said he has not been assigned SSN when i had the impression that he will be assigned one automatically.

I am certain you are right on child of LPR bit, but i have not found any links/rules from USCIS/State Dept that says it is applicable to USC who cannot pass the citizenship automatically as well (and the outcome would be slightly different too - LPR child will be treated as LPR, but USC's child would be citizen after being granted LPR status while staying with the USC parent).

Also, my baby had been denied tourist visa - and officer at the consular said nothing about my wife can travel with her baby into the USA and be granted I 551 visa on arrival when his visitors visa got denied (waste of my money too) . I would be so pissed off if that is actually the right course that my family should have taken as we had to change our travel plan last year.

I've been trying to ask the US consular regarding this matter but none pointed to what you have said about the LPR at PoE (and the Consular would be the entity to produce a letter for to be taken to the airport as well as PoE right?)

This is an unnecessary long story you're rehashing IMO, I already suggested you find an experienced US based immigration attorney and have a phone consultation.

This is an unnecessary long story you're rehashing IMO, I already suggested you find an experienced US based immigration attorney and have a phone consultation.
sorry i replied before i realized you had edited the comment. Well, right now i am pursuing the path of I 130. i hope it will go well.

this is the bit that i am struggling with - somehow i cannot add my child onto my case - also i cannot queried it. i am not sure if i entered it incorrectly.

"
The status of this service request is:

The receipt number you have provided in your inquiry does not relate to you. The Privacy Act, 5 USC Sec. 552a, prohibits release of information to someone other than the affected party. The affected party is typically the petitioner, applicant or attorney of record. Disclosures of processing times and general procedures relating to certain form types do not fall under the Privacy Act. However, information given to someone other than the affected party, such as the beneficiary, which relates to the specific processing or adjudication of a particular petition or application is prohibited by the Privacy Act and Service policy.

"

but it is not a pressing issue, i plan to resolve this when i go to the USA soon. I am just curious why SSA said he has not been assigned SSN when i had the impression that he will be assigned one automatically.

Did you pay attention to my first response on this Thread? It isn't unusual for the SSN to not get issued/sent after indicating on the DS form you wished for them to request it on your behalf.

There's nothing to wonder or be curious about due to your son not being assigned while yours was. We've had similar situations in the past, and they were easily resolved with a visit to the SSA office. No big deal.

sorry i replied before i realized you had edited the comment. Well, right now i am pursuing the path of I 130. i hope it will go well.

You will simply complicate your situation by submitting an I-130 now IMHO if he's eligible for a LPR status based on what was previously discussed. But eh, go ahead and do what you consider best for your situation.

You will simply complicate your situation by submitting an I-130 now IMHO if he's eligible for a LPR status based on what was previously discussed. But eh, go ahead and do what you consider best for your situation.

As it is, even if there is a possibility of him being granted LPR status at PoE before he reaches 2 years old, my wife cannot make the trip to the USA before his second birthday and in the end, it will cost me as much as petitioning for I 130 (flight tickets , accommodation etc and the wife will not travel without me - so that will add more on the travel cost) . Not that i am trying to be headstrong.

Tried finding some immigration lawyers already - it would cost me as much as well - and my worry is that they will tell me the exact same thing i am already doing anyway (I 130 route). Yeah cost/finance is a huge factor for me right now.

Thanks for the insights and replies @Sm1smom . Greatly appreciated.