• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV lottery family visa.. i dont want to go

kostas

Hello,

I would like to ask you something that although i tried to solve it online i couldnt find any information.

My father won on the diversity visa lottery program (nationality: Albanian) immigrants visa for the USA for him and his family. My family has 4 members, me , my younger sister and my mom.

I would like to ask you if i decide not to follow my family in the USA do my the rest of my family loosing the VISA?

Many Thanks,
Kostas

No. The only way they lose the visa is if your father decides not to proceed with the visa. You not going makes no difference to theirs.

ok perfect.. so there is no need for me to worry because he is saying to me that if i dont go the whole family will loose the visa..it was a great help

Hello,

I would like to ask you something that although i tried to solve it online i couldnt find any information.

My father won on the diversity visa lottery program (nationality: Albanian) immigrants visa for the USA for him and his family. My family has 4 members, me , my younger sister and my mom.

I would like to ask you if i decide not to follow my family in the USA do my the rest of my family loosing the VISA?

Many Thanks,
Kostas

Since your father is the main selectee, your decision to not follow the rest of the family to the U.S. will not lead to a visa denial for them. Of course your father will need to indicate on his own DS-260 form that you will not be immigrating with the family, he also has to make sure no DS-260 is filled out for you.

Even if you went through the process and got your visa, no one can force you to travel to US and activate the GC, it then runs out after 6 months. So if your father has filled you in as going with them and you feel you need to attend the interview, you can still back out later. This may be a good option if you want to decide later.

IMO, attending the interview and allowing the visa to expire is not a good idea. A complete waste of opportunity that could have been put to good use by another selectee who otherwise might have lucked out due to none availability of visa. Even if the DS-260 form has been submitted for the OP, he doesn't have to attend the interview with the rest of the family.

IMO, attending the interview and allowing the visa to expire is not a good idea. A complete waste of opportunity that could have been put to good use by another selectee who otherwise might have lucked out due to none availability of visa. Even if the DS-260 form has been submitted for the OP, he doesn't have to attend the interview with the rest of the family.
The upper limit for eligibility is 21.
I do not want the OP to feel slighted but chances are that he is still a dependant.
Better to go along all the way to the interview and have as much time as possible to consider if branching off/away from the family at this stage is the best decision.
If the parent thinks its a good idea, a dependant oughts to give the benefit of doubt to the parent.

The upper limit for eligibility is 21.
I do not want the OP to feel slighted but chances are that he is still a dependant.
Better to go along all the way to the interview and have as much time as possible to consider if branching off/away from the family at this stage is the best decision.
If the parent thinks its a good idea, a dependant oughts to give the benefit of doubt to the parent.

The OP could be an emancipated minor for all we know. Heck if the OP is already 18 or 19 he's actually considered to have reached the age of majority under the U.S. laws and does not necessarily need his parents to make decisions for him. Plus, he hasn't stated that the father's objection is based on their thinking he's not making the right choice for himself. The father's concern has to do with the impact of the decision on the rest of the family's ability to get their visas. So in such a case, I maintain that going all the way to get the visa only to end up not using it is a selfish endeavor and a waste of resources.

Sorry, force of habit. As an attorney I always advise my clients as to what is best for them, not considering other people may lose their chance.

Sorry, force of habit. As an attorney I always advise my clients as to what is best for them, not considering other people may lose their chance.

Damn lawyers. :p

I must admit I see this from a "parental" point of view. Here is a young man who has an incredible opportunity to go to the USA from a country that realistically cannot offer the same opportunities - even though it may be a great place to live in many ways. No doubt this would be a difficult time though since the young man may be in relationships and friendships that he values and does not want to lose. To a young man he will have no idea of the difference in scale between those two things (opportunity in the USA versus losing friendships and so on).

So - my advice to kostas would be to attend the interview and follow the process if his family is willing to enable that. Commit to his family to try out the US of A for a MINIMUM of 1 year. If his family moves anywhere half decent in the USA that won't be a a waste of a year and if he then decides to return to Albania his will have gained a life perspective that will help him with work, relationships and so on. On the other hand he may fall in love with the USA - and understand that Albania is only a plane ride away.

Some situations such ascomfort zone,Youth hood etc are barely visionary enough help one to 'see ' beyond the curve and this is not to say that he is wrong.
This had been my family's dilemma.
Reasons quoted by Simon here are why the move is worth a try.

Yeah yeah you know... SusieQQQ once had the chance to move to the U.S. in her youth and turned it down too. You can't force people to do things if they are not minors. Sometimes people need to learn for themselves and sometimes things don't happen at the right time, then they do. I also think it would be a huge missed opportunity, especially from Albania where so many people are desperate to leave.. But if he doesn't want to go, then forcing him to spend a year there is probably not going to do anything but make him resentful of the year he's missing out at college or with his girlfriend or in his promising entry level job or whatever his personal reason is. He can always get sponsored by his family later on if he changes his mind, albeit might take a while.

I rejected some opportunities when I was young. Each and every time it was the wrong decision. The reasons for rejection were so "important" I can't even remember what they were. Nowadays I live by the rule: You always regret what you didn't do not what you did.

guestgulkan, you are very funny, believe me I haven't laughed in awhile and you made me laugh. I just had to tell you this. Last sentence=words of wisdom.

I rejected some opportunities when I was young. Each and every time it was the wrong decision. The reasons for rejection were so "important" I can't even remember what they were. Nowadays I live by the rule: You always regret what you didn't do not what you did.

I normally live by that rule, but my decision to not go to the US at the time was absolutely the right one. I would have ended up a small foreign-educated inexperienced fish in a big pond, whereas I had quite a different experience at home. Not to mention that I wouldn't have had my wonderful family of course. Then when it was the right time to go, haha there came a DV win... but of course I also had a family petition as a fallback, which is what the OP will have, and that does make a difference.

Hello,

Many Thanks,
Kostas
Hi kostas, by judging your photo profile, Ipresuuuuume you are over 21 years !?
If yes, you already dont qualify for a GC!

But if you are really under 21 , let me tell you that you are missi g a life time chance buddy....

Good luck

True, all those years that I could have applied to DV lottery but didn't..