• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV Lottery - F1 important question

mhaffaf

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,

So I am a happy winner of the DV lottery 2012, ranking 2012AF00039xxx.
As soon as I found out I did everything that it said on the website, sent the DSP-122 and DS-230 + photos. However, I am not sure now if I should have done an AOS first. I am currently a PhD student on a F1 visa and previously I have had a Q1 visa for a year.
I obviously said all of that, said that I was an instructor in my university (I am also a TA) as well as a graduate student, gave only my address in the States...on the forms.
Did I mess up? Are my intentions to immigrate (since I am on a student visa) now will ruin my chances?
Please tell me what should I have to do? Do I have to do an AOS? Will they deny my application? Also, I am not going back to my country until next year until my 2-year visa expires.
I would love your advice. Thank you so much.

You did fine. It seems like your case number is pretty high so if you have a chance of getting a CG it would be through a consular interview. AOS would have been risky. The only problem with you sending the forms is that you explicitly state your intend to immigrate to the US. Therefore if you apply for a non-immigrant visa from now until you get the GC you will most likely be denied. HOWEVER, if you have no intention to leave the US until you have to travel home to go through the interview and collect your GC you will not have any problems. They won't kick you out of the country or anything. Rejoice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for your answer delit2727!!!

So yeah my F1 visa is valid until June 2012 and I would have to renew it for one more year (I am supposed to graduate in 2013). So hopefully I'll get an interview in between now and June 2012 at the Consulate back home and everything will be fine. Since my case number is pretty high, what are the chances I get an interview before June 2012? When should I have an interview with a case number like mine? Should I call the Kentucky center to make sure they received my documents? And call again in a month to see where they are? See when they would or will give me an appt? Are they able to give you that kind of information?
Also, I was wondering if in the to the mail to the Kentucky CC was I supposed to show some kind of education level as it says it on the 1st page of the website or just the fact that i filled out the questions on my education and that I am enrolled in a graduate program in an American University shows it all?
Thank you so much in advance!!!!

You're interview will be between March and May 2012. Most likely April. AOS is also fine in your case but if you don't plan to go home. Do some research on the topic. BUT do not worry. You will be fine. Your interview date will be way before June 2012. Also there is not need to show any educational level to KCC. You will do this at the embassy. Again congrats.

Thank you sooo much!!! I feel so relieved! I am supposed to leave the country in March next year for a sort of a semester/program abroad... I basically can't go until I get my interview. What about travelling to other countries? Will I be stopped at the immigration? Can they see that I filed for an immigrant status?
Again, should I call KCC to do a follow-up on my case? Like in a month or so? and later on to make sure they DO NOT forget me.
Thank you again!!!!

Yes if you were from Egypt, Nigeria or Ethiopia but you are not so no problem You can see the current case number for this year at the visa bulletin at e DOS website.

You should expect similar order.

Bon chance mon ami(e).

Merci beaucoup cher ami!
I actually went on that bulleting thing... I am supposedly a PhD student but can't freaking read that thing... I don't understand what the numbers correspond to...?? I am a little embarrassed to say it... but... I don't get it!

Ahhh super! moi j'enseigne le francais en fait ici! tu as vu ca? Je ne comprends rien du tout a cette histoire de bulletin... they're still on the DV for 2011 and I don't even know what those numbers correspond to?

I would not worry too much about traveling outside the US if your visa is valid. It COULD be a problem only if you need a new visa and must apply at the embassy. Anyway, it won't hurt to talk to the person at your university who deals with the visa stuff for int'l students. You must have someone who deals with that. Also it won't hurt to call KCC if you need to be extra cautious. But i don't think there's much to worry about.

When I call KCC should I just tell them the truth that I am an F1 visa who is applying for a CG through the lottery?
I am definitely gonna ask the international office at school and see what they say.
Merci encore mille fois! :)))